Sponsored by:

It's my birthday, so I...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Danny271
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's my birthday, so I...

It's my birthday, so I did what any sensible 32 year old should do...buy their first Porsche. With the approval and support of my Chief Operating Officer, my wife, of course.

It all started a year ago when I started lusting after the car that was plastered on my bedroom wall throughout my high school years. The red headed stepchild of the Porsche world, the 996 Turbo. After reading 15 years of posts on Rennlist about the car, I became an egg yolk headlight Porsche expert! I then sat in one and realized I would never get back all of the time I had wasted researching this vehicle. Holy crap. 2001 called, they want their interior back.

On to the 997.1 I went. I soon found out that the 997.1 had it's own gremlins. Sticky A/C buttons, check. Potential IMS failure, check.
Wait...what's that I see...Bluetooth, vented seats, PDK...ooh la la.

997.2 here we come!

I started scouring PCA, RL, 6Speed, Autotrader, CarGurus, Craigslist and all of the other usual suspects for a well maintained example. Nationwide. Any color combo. Any engine. Narrow or wide body. But it had to have ventilated seats. I know. I'm weird.

My budget was <$50K but I was really looking to score a deal for under <$40K. I setup an appointment to check out a 997.2 S Cab local to me in NJ 2 weeks ago, but found out there was an accident on the Carfax. It was hard to pass this deal up because they just lowered the price from $45K to $39K. I'm sure there was something wrong with the car like a missing cylinder or steering wheel. I'm glad I passed.

Flash forward to this past weekend, my family took my mother to Lancaster, PA for her 70th birthday. Her choice. Not mine. As I'm loading up my wife's GL450 on Thursday afternoon in preparation for a Friday AM departure to Lancaster, PA I take a break and log on to the Porsche pre-owned car locator site at 6:00PM and do my weekly search. 997, 2009-2012, Vented Seats.

Bingo.

Jackpot.

And here's the kicker. It's located 25 miles from Lancaster, PA. The stars are aligning.

I leave 2 voicemails for the sales manager and a sales rep to call me back before closing, 8PM. I get a call at 8:05PM from the sales rep. "There are deal sheets already out to 3 other interested buyers, I'm sorry, but you're too late". I asked if any of them had put a deposit down on the vehicle, which they had not. I gave him a $500 deposit while on the phone. I unpacked my wife's GL450 and loaded everything into the back of my BMW 5 series that I wanted to trade in on the 997.

I arrived at the dealer and saw the car parked in the service bay. My wife looked at me and said, "wow...we're taking it, right?". I knew I married her for a reason.

On to the even better news. The car was traded in by a local banker who was meticulous with his maintenance at Sun Motors Porsche. The previous owner saw a Cayman GTS on the showroom floor while getting an oil change and ended up leaving with that car instead. While the car was in for service, Sun Motors replaced all 4 tires, all of the brakes (rotors and pads), completed a PDK and 60K mile service. The car has literally no wear and tear. The seats look like they've never been sat in. At 60K miles, they wouldn't normally CPO a car. But they did with this one. As a first time Porsche owner, I was very hesitant about the cost of ownership. The CPO gives me piece of mind for 2 years.

We rented a 2nd vehicle for my wife to fit my daughter (2 years old) and all of our stuff for the voyage home.

My first mod...a Diono Radian RXT child seat so my daughter can have some fun with dad!

I'm 4 days into Porsche ownership and I couldn't be happier. I've missed the feeling of getting into a car and going for a drive. Just to drive.

I look forward to all of the advice that is shared on RL. This is a great community.

It's a CPO 2010 911 S w/60K miles. I feel I got a fair deal considering all of the recent maintenance and the CPO.

And of course, pics or it didn't happen.

Last edited by Danny271; 08-03-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:40 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Congrats! QQ: Are you fitting that Diono Radian RXT in the front or rear? Assume front facing? Any pics of that installed? Dad pcar owners want to know!
Old 06-29-2017, 03:54 PM
Danny271
Intermediate

The package was just delivered, I'm wrapping up some work stuff now (WFH). I'll let you know in the next few hours if it fits forward facing, in the rear. With pics. Of course.

I took a leap of faith when ordering it. I'm surprised there isn't more recent chatter about this topic.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:17 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Hubba-hubba. Meteor Grey Metallic. Black leather. Sport Design wheels. You did a good job waiting for the right one.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:21 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Clear side markers soon.?
Old 06-29-2017, 04:38 PM
SWO Daddy
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 27 Posts

Great story and happy for you. Enjoy the heck out of it.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:55 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations. Meteor Grey is a great color. Love the car.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:57 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Happy Birthday!

Good looking Carrera S. Enjoy!
Old 06-29-2017, 05:31 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

yep Happy Birthday and it is always nice when the CFO say we are leaving in that right!
Old 06-29-2017, 05:35 PM
legbuh
Track Day

Great job! I found my 997 locally too (closed Porsche dealer is 75 miles away) just a few weeks ago, also owned by a banker... I feel terrible that it had 29k on it when I bought it, and before the next tank of fuel I will already break 30k, but man... it sure is nice!
Old 06-29-2017, 05:42 PM
crazycarlitos
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and belated happy bday !

It's funny how things work out like that. I also ended up with perfect Pcar for me after other deals fell thru. In retrospect, I realized I would not have been happy with those Pcars.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:49 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You did good, excellent price for what you're getting and CPO'd too. Congrats.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:56 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Welcome to the club!
Old 06-29-2017, 05:59 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Haha awesome story man. I hope if I ever get married, my wife realizes my love for cars and bikes transcends normal desire and reason.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:04 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny271
It's my birthday, so I did what any sensible 32 year old should do...buy their first Porsche. With the approval and support of my Chief Operating Officer, my wife, of course.

It all started a year ago when I started lusting after the car that was plastered on my bedroom wall throughout my high school years. The red headed stepchild of the Porsche world, the 996 Turbo. After reading 15 years of posts on Rennlist about the car, I became an egg yolk headlight Porsche expert! I then sat in one and realized I would never get back all of the time I had wasted researching this vehicle. Holy crap. 2001 called, they want their interior back.

On to the 997.1 I went. I soon found out that the 997.1 had it's own gremlins. Sticky A/C buttons, check. Potential IMS failure, check.
Wait...what's that I see...Bluetooth, vented seats, PDK...ooh la la.

997.2 here we come!

I started scouring PCA, RL, 6Speed, Autotrader, CarGurus, Craigslist and all of the other usual suspects for a well maintained example. Nationwide. Any color combo. Any engine. Narrow or wide body. But it had to have ventilated seats. I know. I'm weird.

My budget was <$50K but I was really looking to score a deal for under <$40K. I setup an appointment to check out a 997.2 S Cab local to me in NJ 2 weeks ago, but found out there was an accident on the Carfax. It was hard to pass this deal up because they just lowered the price from $45K to $39K. I'm sure there was something wrong with the car like a missing cylinder or steering wheel. I'm glad I passed.

Flash forward to this past weekend, my family took my mother to Lancaster, PA for her 70th birthday. Her choice. Not mine. As I'm loading up my wife's GL450 on Thursday afternoon in preparation for a Friday AM departure to Lancaster, PA I take a break and log on to the Porsche pre-owned car locator site at 6:00PM and do my weekly search. 997, 2009-2012, Vented Seats.

Bingo.

Jackpot.

And here's the kicker. It's located 25 miles from Lancaster, PA. The stars are aligning.

I leave 2 voicemails for the sales manager and a sales rep to call me back before closing, 8PM. I get a call at 8:05PM from the sales rep. "There are deal sheets already out to 3 other interested buyers, I'm sorry, but you're too late". I asked if any of them had put a deposit down on the vehicle, which they had not. I gave him a $500 deposit while on the phone. I unpacked my wife's GL450 and loaded everything into the back of my BMW 5 series that I wanted to trade in on the 997.

I arrived at the dealer and saw the car parked in the service bay. My wife looked at me and said, "wow...we're taking it, right?". I knew I married her for a reason.

On to the even better news. The car was traded in by a local banker who was meticulous with his maintenance at Sun Motors Porsche. The previous owner saw a Cayman GTS on the showroom floor while getting an oil change and ended up leaving with that car instead. While the car was in for service, Sun Motors replaced all 4 tires, all of the brakes (rotors and pads), completed a PDK and 60K mile service. The car has literally no wear and tear. The seats look like they've never been sat in. At 60K miles, they wouldn't normally CPO a car. But they did with this one. As a first time Porsche owner, I was very hesitant about the cost of ownership. The CPO gives me piece of mind for 2 years.

We rented a 2nd vehicle for my wife to fit my daughter (2 years old) and all of our stuff for the voyage home.

My first mod...a Diono Radian RXT child seat so my daughter can have some fun with dad!

I'm 4 days into Porsche ownership and I couldn't be happier. I've missed the feeling of getting into a car and going for a drive. Just to drive.

I look forward to all of the advice that is shared on RL. This is a great community.

It's a CPO 2010 911 S w/60K miles. I paid $46K and feel I got a fair deal considering all of the recent maintenance and the CPO.

And of course, pics or it didn't happen.

Did you trade the Bimmer so you needed the rental? $46K?

Sorry to be confused.

Quick Reply: It's my birthday, so I...