Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's wrong with people?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 11:02 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Wire transfer is the best, it's fast and the results are immediate.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:22 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Have you met the person and seen the car? I always do the whole transaction at a Bank with a notary. For instance if I'm selling a car I go to my bank that has a notary and meet the person. They give me the check and we sign the title over. I will say it still makes me a little nervous because in theory the funds may no longer be available for the cashiers check and since it takes a few days to clear my car will be long gone with the title.

Be cautious is all I can say.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:36 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

he's mental. i would move on.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:44 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Ill make the drop for you.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Cash transactions of a certain value also get reported by the financial institution to the IRS - that value used to be $10,000 or greater - not sure if it's still the number or if it has gone up over the years, and I'm a law-abiding citizen (well, except for speeding laws) that pays his taxes, but still don't need to purposely put myself on the government radar for a car purchase.

If he has work done at his local Porsche dealer, they may also be willing to act as the intermediary in the transaction, which may also be an option.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:35 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten Years
I always meet people at the bank. Do the exchange, and ask the bank manager to verify the check, in front of him.
Originally Posted by platinum997
This is the way to go. Both parties are safe.
He does NOT want any kind of check, even if it is written infront of him. He still think after we leave the branch, I would call to cancel it !!!

Originally Posted by DC911S
Do a wire transfer. Don't carry around 40K of cash....if he is asking for that, it could be a set up for you to get robbed.
He doesn't want wire transfer. Somehow he thinks I can reverse the transaction.

The only way to complete this transaction is through cash. He wants it infront of teller so risk of carrying 40k in cash is not there so I am protected I guess but still I have never seen someone that bad in my life. I bought many cars and sold many and the only method I would take is cashiers check. I don't trust cash myself!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:51 PM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Consider that maybe he's been ripped off in the past and now he's being cautious.
He doesnt know if you're a swindler from Jack.
Im probably alot more trusting than I should be because I assume people would act and behave the same was as I do...... WRONG
Theres some good advice here. ... and be cautious yourself
Good Luck
Old 06-28-2017, 02:02 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

two words
escrow account cost about 100.00 easy peasy did it for my airplane sale for only 20,000 dollar amount. I take company checks for twice that much every month.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:21 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Cashier's check is essentially irreversible. There are limited options if the check is stolen or never cashed, but aside from those, once you give the check away, you're committed. It's not like a standard check where the person can write a bad one or clear out his account after the check is written. When you get one, the funds are debited from your account and placed in an account that is tied to the check.

Waiting for a check to clear is not a good option, by the way. Banks will often credit your account for a cashier's check and run it, but it could be several days before a fraudulent cashier's check is discovered and by that time, you are out your merchandise and on the hook for the money if you have withdrawn it or spent it. In addition, if you receive a check that was written off of a legitimate account but the check is fraudulent (stolen check, for instance) you could be liable for the funds much later, when the fraud is discovered.

But, receiving a cashier's check from the purchaser that is generated at the teller line at that person's bank is almost foolproof. Take that cashier's check to your bank and cash it or deposit it and you're clear.

BTW, deposits of $10k or more are still reported to the Fed. Less, in some circumstances. Multiple deposits of smaller amounts where the total is over $10k that are obviously structured to avoid reporting are also noted by the bank and usually reported.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:50 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello he wants to rob you
Old 06-28-2017, 03:57 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I would do the cash in a briefcase deal, but then again I also have a concealed carry permit
Old 06-28-2017, 04:57 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

as others have suggested escrowe.com
they are registered with government etc..
otherwise move on as there are lots of 997s for sale. avoid getting robbed.
my rule is to never ignore any red lights during a transaction, every time in the past that I have ignored one it has come back to bite.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:25 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

can you not just give him your forum handle and he can go through your post history to make a judgment call on what kind of person you are? it's not rocket science to assess someones character thanks to years for forum(s) history and contribution.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:37 PM
r_32
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Cashier's check is essentially irreversible. There are limited options if the check is stolen or never cashed, but aside from those, once you give the check away, you're committed. It's not like a standard check where the person can write a bad one or clear out his account after the check is written. When you get one, the funds are debited from your account and placed in an account that is tied to the check.

Waiting for a check to clear is not a good option, by the way. Banks will often credit your account for a cashier's check and run it, but it could be several days before a fraudulent cashier's check is discovered and by that time, you are out your merchandise and on the hook for the money if you have withdrawn it or spent it. In addition, if you receive a check that was written off of a legitimate account but the check is fraudulent (stolen check, for instance) you could be liable for the funds much later, when the fraud is discovered.

But, receiving a cashier's check from the purchaser that is generated at the teller line at that person's bank is almost foolproof. Take that cashier's check to your bank and cash it or deposit it and you're clear.

BTW, deposits of $10k or more are still reported to the Fed. Less, in some circumstances. Multiple deposits of smaller amounts where the total is over $10k that are obviously structured to avoid reporting are also noted by the bank and usually reported.
This. Completely accurate. This is also why most dealers only accept these and for other types of lending as well.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:39 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 258 Posts

I think the deal at the bank is the best option or you can pay a car dealership to do the transaction for you.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with people?