Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Did You Learn to Drive Stick, and Are You Teaching Your Kids?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 01:29 PM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My oldest son will be eligible for his driver's permit within the next 6 months. I would like for his first car to be a manual but don't really want him to learn on the Porsche. We have a 1979 Jeep CJ-7 at our country place. If he can learn to drive that beast he should be able to drive anything, maybe even the 911.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:37 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Learned on my buddy's Geo Prism during last year of high school. Then took hiatus for 20+ years until I bought the Porsche. Did a quick refresher course before taking delivery. Intend to teach my daughters to drive stick when they are ready in another 10 years...
Old 06-26-2017, 01:38 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I learned from my mum in a 1972 Fiat 500 - non-synchro gearbox and an incredible 18hp. And everyone calls a Boxster on track a momentum car. Interestingly, Michael Schumacher learned in the same model of car, but then our careers diverged..........
Old 06-26-2017, 01:55 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

I learned to drive stick the hardest way. I was 12, playing in my dad's Opala (Chevrolet) which had the 3-on-the-tree manual transmission. I was turning the steering wheel, static-shifting the gears, and dreaming of LeMans. I then came to conclusion that starting the car up would make this dream more authentic. I adjusted the mirrors, opened the garage door so I don't die of carbon monoxide exhaust poisoning, shift it to 1st and twisted the ignition. Bam!!! the car jerked violently forward and I completely destroyed the washing machine pining it against the wall. I don't remember what my parents said to me afterwards because I always tune my self out during scolding. But I heard my dad say something about pressing the clutch when starting in gear, and I took that to heart.

Fast forward a year later and I was in my ripe age of 13, and having the same LeMans dream in the same car. I had the keys in my hand but was wary of what had happened last year, but hat glorious key hole kept calling me to insert my key of pleasure into that slit. The temptation to start the car was just too irresistible and so I gave in. This time, I made sure to step-in the clutch pedal before I started in the first gear. The engine came to life, transferring that euphoric good-vibration through my finger tip to my young thumping heart. I couldn't take it anymore, the climatic end to this dream came with a release; of the clutch pedal.

2 new washer in 2 years forced my dad to finally take me to an empty lot for a more complete lesson in driving a manual car.

Also, back in the 80's, our high school gave out mandatory driver's training. Boys would get their training in an manual Nissan Sentra with 2 sets of driving **** pit. The girls only had to be trained in an automatic Toyota collora. I know, it's sexist now, but it was OK during the 80's.

Now that my son is 15, I am starting to teach him on how to drive manual with my 5-speed manual BMW 318ti (20 years old). My daughter who is 16 years old shows no desire to drive yet. But when she does, I am getting her an e-golf.

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 06-26-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:00 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Back in the late 80s a buddy taught me how to use a manual on his Jeep Cherokee. So, some years later I lucked into an 87 911 manual while living in San Francisco. I had a 5spd BMW in storage as well. Some manual BMWs later and brief Cayenne experience I'm back with the 911 manual. I have less tolerance for techy cars these days and LOVE the fact that nobody can drive stick anymore. Nobody touches my car....it's too boring.....no crazy stereo, no PDK, no NAV, less is more. Speed of shifting makes no difference to me in the real world.

Paying for obsolete electronics technology is not my thing nor is maintaining / fixing it long term.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:10 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerf4i
2 new washer in 2 years forced my dad to finally take me to an empty lot for a more complete lesson in driving a manual car.
Awesome story! I took out our garage fridge in a similar fashion.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:01 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I learned on my dad's Ford Van. Nothing dramatic, with the usual learning-how-to-drive-stick stuff that happens with most other kids. Eventually got my first car (a stick), and always drove a manual car up until a few years ago.

My only manual car is my 308. When my daughter got her license, I really wanted her to learn to drive stick. She really wanted to learn how to drive stick.

I had no choice but to teach her in the 308. So far so good.

I wish I could have been that lucky when I was a teenager.
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2017, 03:13 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Learned how to drive stick on a 300ZX that one of my dad's employee owned. Saw it parked, always like the Nissan Z cars and it was stick, asked him if it's okay to drive it and he said yes, he taught me how to drive. This is back in 1992, been hooked every since. I will definitely teach my kids, at least my boys.

Had a Toyota pickup truck in 5 speed back in college that I drove around for a couple of years, no power steering, it was horrible to park.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife taught me in her Honda Civic back when we were dating. My son picked it up pretty easy in an old honda I bought but that car broke completely (long story) before I finished teaching my daughter. I was gonna finish in my BMW but she ended up interning in North Carolina. I'm gonna try and finish teaching her at the end of the summer. We can't let this art form die!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:34 PM
mellowalex
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my mom taught me on a Mercedes kompressor . It took a week or so before I really figured it out.

I'm going to teach my Fiance how to drive stick on Sunday. I just rented a mini-cooper on Turo for $60 for the day... This way she won't mess up the 997.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:06 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

3 on the tree ranch truck. Taught my son in my Aston Martin.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:19 PM
tsteph12
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My daughters are too young currently, but when ready, will make sure they learn how to drive a manual gearbox car. I was taught by my mother in the early 80's on her Saab.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:24 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

My dad taught me on a '64 VW Beetle at age 14. I stole it at 15 and my next door neighbor saw me and told the parents = BUSTED. Still, the first car I purchased was a Fiat 128 SL, 4 on the floor. Almost as much fun as my c2s.
I tried teaching my older boy on a '87 Wrangler, but he never mastered the clutch. My younger son has zero interest, so maybe it's good thing my boys won't ask me for the keys!
Old 06-26-2017, 05:52 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see a funny trend here.....We learned on the farm/ranch in a beater truck/VW. Our kids learned in an Aston, Ferrari and Porsche. No wonder Millennials are lost, they have a high bar to jump over.

I taught my kids to drive stick on my old airport car a 1995 Jetta. It was part of the deal to get their license. Years later the girl was with friends in Europe and reserved a rental car. When they showed up, the only car that was available was a stick. My kid was the only one who knew how to drive it. So feather in my cap.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:08 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

It was 1975, we had a I think a 1970 Chevy truck. It had 3 on the tree. I learn by watching, got in it one day and just drove it around the farm. Was easy as could be.

Quick Reply: How Did You Learn to Drive Stick, and Are You Teaching Your Kids?