Sponsored by:

Help troubleshooting fan problem - 997.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 10:34 AM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Help troubleshooting fan problem - 997.2 GTS

I left the engine running during a gas stop. Heard and felt airflow from the passenger side front wheel well, but not the driver side.

My first thought was perhaps the fans run independently. Further research shows they should run together.

I checked that the fan on the driver side was not stuck... e.g. some forum posts describe rocks obstructing the fan... it is not. Fan turns easily when checked while car is not running.

Coolant temp is perfectly normal. Oil temp runs slightly high... ~210 - 215 vs. ~200 normal... but only after spirited driving. This puzzles me as I'd expect the coolant temp to run high if there was a radiator fan issue.

Car is a 997.2 GTS w/ CLWs. I don't have the breaker bar, so I cannot remove the wheel / fender lining to further inspect the fan... e.g. connections, other damage, etc.

Any other ideas? Should it display a diagnostic code if there is a component failure? Car is near it's 1 year service interval, but I'd like to troubleshoot the problem a bit more before going to the dealer.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:00 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 104 Posts

A couple of ways, if you're electrically/troubleshootingly inclined. When the other fan is on, measure the voltage supplied to the fan at the last connector prior to the fan. Another way, supply the prescribed voltage to the fan directly and see if it spins up. Unfortunately, you'll have to "dig" (remove covers) to expose stuff to do these things.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:43 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Turns out the fan had failed. Had it replaced. Just closing the loop for future searches re: this issue.

Quick Reply: Help troubleshooting fan problem - 997.2 GTS