Sponsored by:

PEC Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 04:33 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default PEC Atlanta

I wrote an article for my PCA region newsletter. For what it's worth, I thought I'd share:

PORSCHE EXPERIENCE CENTER ATLANTA

I’ve owned many a Porsche since 1976 and some really fine ones so I am biased. But I am here to tell you, if you want to appreciate our cars on a new level, visit the Porsche Experience Center in either LA or Atlanta.

On Saturday, June 17, Staci and I went to the PEC in Atlanta. A nine-hour drive, it is next to the airport on I-75. One long-time Porsche guy told me the day before I would be disappointed because it is a short track so that one does not get to go very fast. Further, it amounts to paying Porsche to take a test drive. On reflection, it was fast enough for me and worth the every penny.

One selects from a number of packages and pays for it on-line. See: https://www.porschedriving.com/home. Staci and I both opted for a Carrera 2S since it is the closest to what we own. We asked for manual transmission for the same reason but a MT was not available that day. With the purchase of optional insurance for $50, it was $500. For that one gets the car, an on-board trainer and 90 minutes of seat time. The course of instruction includes time in different “modules.” They are, from the web site:

Track Modules Include:
• Dynamics Area: Test the speed, agility and lane-change performance on a large asphalt pad designed to simulate unique maneuvers you may encounter during your daily driving
• Handling Circuit: A one-mile handling course designed to mimic a winding country road with a number of corners and undulations. Here, a driver will learn the finer points on choosing the correct path when negotiating the curves and proper application of braking technique
• Low-Friction Circle: Experience the over-steer capabilities of a Porsche at the low-friction circle with its uniform inward slope and polished concrete surface
• Low-Friction Handling Circuit: A similar polished concrete surface as the Low-Friction Circle, except we introduce a series of unique, tight curves, with a mixture of various radius types on-and-off camber corners
• Kick Plate: We test your vehicle control skills when encountering a skid or spin. The kick-plate is a flush-mounted, hydraulically actuated plate placed before a wetted epoxy surface. As a vehicle travels over the plate at a safe rate of speed, sensors move the plate randomly left or right to mimic sliding that might occur during inclement weather conditions
• Acceleration Straight: The Acceleration Straight provides a safe and controlled environment to fully explore how a Porsche accelerates using launch control with an added twist. Near the end of the nearly 3/4 mile straight, a replica of the Karussell (Carousel), the famous banked curve on the Nordschleife (North Loop) of the Nürbugring, is awaiting for your enthralling g-force experience
**Only Offered at The Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles
• Ice Hill: Ice Hill has a 7% slope, computer-controlled water jets and a low friction surface. A combination which provides a unique and challenging scenario to test even the most experienced of drivers.

Experience Includes:
• Personal Driving Coach for the duration of the appointment
• Ability to drive one (1) Porsche vehicle

The purpose of the program is to elevate one’s confidence in both driving ability and the car’s capabilities. Run the kick plate a few times to see if you can maintain control, then a few laps on the track. Learn over steer on the low-friction surface, then a few laps on the track. Etc. It works. You find yourself driving faster laps.

Some other impressions and information:

The cars are abused, pure and simple. At least that’s what I would have called it before. I did probably ten launch control take offs followed by extreme braking. What you realize is how well-engineered these cars are. They are meant to take it. I guess I knew that, but to actually do it (thankfully in someone else’s car) drives (sorry) home the point.

When Porsche introduces a new model, dealership personnel cycled through a PEC to learn it on the track and the associated modules. Porsche also brings in competing vehicles for comparison. My instructor said there is no comparison. The ‘vettes overheat in a heartbeat and the others simply break down. His exact words and I can believe it. So, don’t worry about driving your Porsche too hard.

Yankees, with more ice time, are known to do better on the kick plate and the low friction module. I can believe that, too.

I’ve have read much about the PDK v MT debate. Old school, I have, and think I’ll always have, a MT. But, I have new respect for PDK. There is no way I could have driven the way I did with a MT. No one, I mean no one, can take off, up shift and down shift like it does. It may be more communicative or fun to have a MT, and I’ll rationalize my choice that way, but for pure quickness and accuracy ……

Our friend Darja Praprotnik, who drives a Mercedes in Findlay and a Tesla in Atlanta, attended with us. She became a Porsche believer in the process. I don’t know how one could not. Money well spent, Porsche.

My instructor, Chuck Rosenblum, was in his 50’s and is an experience racer. His son, a college student, also a racer, was, by coincidence, Staci’s instructor. Chuck conveyed as much confidence in 90 minutes as I can imagine. “Right wheel on the white line, drift out to the left wall, tap the brake, tighten it up, power on .….”

PSM on, PSM off, sport mode on, sport mode off, all in a controlled environment. Enlightening.

Staci made it through the slalom at 40 MPH (and has a picture of the readout to prove it). The instructors said that was remarkably good (and now I have to live with that).

By chance, the LeMans race was on at the time. PEC had a large screen TV with plenty of lounge chairs and catering for invited guests – many Peach Tree Region PCA members – and it was fun meeting with them, eating free food and watching the race.

There is a museum and a store, which are also worth visiting.

To conclude, if I were weighing a Caymen v a 991 or a Macan v a Cayenne – or any new Porsche for that matter – I would spend the money and drive each there. So, recommend that to your friends and treat yourself . It is well worth the time and expense. You will leave with a smile on your face – guaranteed.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:30 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

Great write up. Thanks for sharing.
I visited PEC Atlanta for the Panamera launch last year, but have not yet had a chance to get on the track. It is on the must do list.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Isle in Dixie
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Thank you

I enjoyed reading your article. Thank you for posting. My son and I were there last month and had a great time. Like you, I tracked a C2S as it is the closest to what I own. I did not have an issue with not being able to get to even 90MPH. I think I got to 80MPH in the straight away. I use to own a MB E63 AMG. Took the AMG course (all-day) at Road Atlanta years ago and was able to get a SLS up to 133MPH on a straight away. It was fun, but this is different. Having the instructor in the car with you is a big difference maker versus listening to one over a head-set. The PEC is Disney World for Porsche owners.

Did you drive the scenic way home? Tail of the Dragon etc.?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Mi77911
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the write up. I have done the GT3 vs Turbo and I would highly recommend it. Just bought my old man the rear vs mid engine experience for fathers day. I was looking forward to booking the GT4 at the same time but was informed it is no longer available at PECATL.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Enjoyed the review, and now something I really need to go and do.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Great review and spot on. My wife got me a 90 minute module in the 991 GT3. I drove it hard and the instructor was top notch. Highly recommend.

The modules may seem expensive but they are well worth it.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:48 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Thanks

appreciate the feedback......I drove them back to back and the Turbo did impress....more versatile...I have a 95 993 cab for cruising and 14 Cayenne GTS so this car would be low miler...
Old 08-07-2017, 09:35 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for the thorough review!

I was in Atlanta for business recently and all my meetings finished earlier than expected, so due to the unplanned free time I decided to go to the Porsche Center. Since I only had a couple of hours available, I booked some time in the simulator. The entire place is fantastic.

Here are a few pics that I took while I was there. The museum currently has the oldest unrestored 550 spyder in existence. That car alone is worth the trip!

Enjoy!
Attached Images             
Old 08-07-2017, 10:06 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

They don't have any cars with the MT anymore at the center. Most people can't drive them and they kept being destroyed by those that are not too clutch worthy.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 AM
modernyankee
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jfort
I wrote an article for my PCA region newsletter. For what it's worth, I thought I'd share:

PORSCHE EXPERIENCE CENTER ATLANTA

I’ve owned many a Porsche since 1976 and some really fine ones so I am biased. But I am here to tell you, if you want to appreciate our cars on a new level, visit the Porsche Experience Center in either LA or Atlanta.

On Saturday, June 17, Staci and I went to the PEC in Atlanta. A nine-hour drive, it is next to the airport on I-75. One long-time Porsche guy told me the day before I would be disappointed because it is a short track so that one does not get to go very fast. Further, it amounts to paying Porsche to take a test drive. On reflection, it was fast enough for me and worth the every penny.

One selects from a number of packages and pays for it on-line. See: https://www.porschedriving.com/home. Staci and I both opted for a Carrera 2S since it is the closest to what we own. We asked for manual transmission for the same reason but a MT was not available that day. With the purchase of optional insurance for $50, it was $500. For that one gets the car, an on-board trainer and 90 minutes of seat time. The course of instruction includes time in different “modules.” They are, from the web site:

Track Modules Include:
• Dynamics Area: Test the speed, agility and lane-change performance on a large asphalt pad designed to simulate unique maneuvers you may encounter during your daily driving
• Handling Circuit: A one-mile handling course designed to mimic a winding country road with a number of corners and undulations. Here, a driver will learn the finer points on choosing the correct path when negotiating the curves and proper application of braking technique
• Low-Friction Circle: Experience the over-steer capabilities of a Porsche at the low-friction circle with its uniform inward slope and polished concrete surface
• Low-Friction Handling Circuit: A similar polished concrete surface as the Low-Friction Circle, except we introduce a series of unique, tight curves, with a mixture of various radius types on-and-off camber corners
• Kick Plate: We test your vehicle control skills when encountering a skid or spin. The kick-plate is a flush-mounted, hydraulically actuated plate placed before a wetted epoxy surface. As a vehicle travels over the plate at a safe rate of speed, sensors move the plate randomly left or right to mimic sliding that might occur during inclement weather conditions
• Acceleration Straight: The Acceleration Straight provides a safe and controlled environment to fully explore how a Porsche accelerates using launch control with an added twist. Near the end of the nearly 3/4 mile straight, a replica of the Karussell (Carousel), the famous banked curve on the Nordschleife (North Loop) of the Nürbugring, is awaiting for your enthralling g-force experience
• Ice Hill: Ice Hill has a 7% slope, computer-controlled water jets and a low friction surface. A combination which provides a unique and challenging scenario to test even the most experienced of drivers.

Experience Includes:
• Personal Driving Coach for the duration of the appointment
• Ability to drive one (1) Porsche vehicle

The purpose of the program is to elevate one’s confidence in both driving ability and the car’s capabilities. Run the kick plate a few times to see if you can maintain control, then a few laps on the track. Learn over steer on the low-friction surface, then a few laps on the track. Etc. It works. You find yourself driving faster laps.

Some other impressions and information:

The cars are abused, pure and simple. At least that’s what I would have called it before. I did probably ten launch control take offs followed by extreme braking. What you realize is how well-engineered these cars are. They are meant to take it. I guess I knew that, but to actually do it (thankfully in someone else’s car) drives (sorry) home the point.

When Porsche introduces a new model, dealership personnel cycled through a PEC to learn it on the track and the associated modules. Porsche also brings in competing vehicles for comparison. My instructor said there is no comparison. The ‘vettes overheat in a heartbeat and the others simply break down. His exact words and I can believe it. So, don’t worry about driving your Porsche too hard.

Yankees, with more ice time, are known to do better on the kick plate and the low friction module. I can believe that, too.

I’ve have read much about the PDK v MT debate. Old school, I have, and think I’ll always have, a MT. But, I have new respect for PDK. There is no way I could have driven the way I did with a MT. No one, I mean no one, can take off, up shift and down shift like it does. It may be more communicative or fun to have a MT, and I’ll rationalize my choice that way, but for pure quickness and accuracy ……

Our friend Darja Praprotnik, who drives a Mercedes in Findlay and a Tesla in Atlanta, attended with us. She became a Porsche believer in the process. I don’t know how one could not. Money well spent, Porsche.

My instructor, Chuck Rosenblum, was in his 50’s and is an experience racer. His son, a college student, also a racer, was, by coincidence, Staci’s instructor. Chuck conveyed as much confidence in 90 minutes as I can imagine. “Right wheel on the white line, drift out to the left wall, tap the brake, tighten it up, power on .….”

PSM on, PSM off, sport mode on, sport mode off, all in a controlled environment. Enlightening.

Staci made it through the slalom at 40 MPH (and has a picture of the readout to prove it). The instructors said that was remarkably good (and now I have to live with that).

By chance, the LeMans race was on at the time. PEC had a large screen TV with plenty of lounge chairs and catering for invited guests – many Peach Tree Region PCA members – and it was fun meeting with them, eating free food and watching the race.

There is a museum and a store, which are also worth visiting.

To conclude, if I were weighing a Caymen v a 991 or a Macan v a Cayenne – or any new Porsche for that matter – I would spend the money and drive each there. So, recommend that to your friends and treat yourself . It is well worth the time and expense. You will leave with a smile on your face – guaranteed.
Question: if one were already 'sold' on Porsche (i.e. bought one, about to buy another) and one had already been auto-crossing that Porsche (i.e. already using launch control, at-the-limit braking/accelerating/turning, slaloms, correcting slides, etc..AND ability to ride with highly advanced drivers and have them ride w/ me), would you say the experience center is largely repeating what I've been doing already at $50/day? I'm not being facetious...I really would like to hear your opinion. I've autocrossed, but have only read about the Experience center.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:38 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

One of the best write ups of all time.

I have been on that track twice now. I did the Turbo versus the GT3 earlier this year. I was surprised by the Turbo was so good in the track and thought the GT3 would be okay on the street.

Great environment to really appreciate the engineering of the cars...

I also have been on Birmingham PEC twice which is now a sport driving school. I prefer that track - Barber motorsports Park if you have the time....

Some of the best fun is off-road with the Cayennes....

Just doing the least expensive ride gives you a good idea of the durability of these cars...
Old 10-19-2018, 11:44 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts

That's interesting. I recently participated in a session at the PECLA in a manual Carrera T. That's a shame about the Atlanta center. BTW, the T is the real deal! My instructor is an amateur racer and owns a 991 GT3 and he couldn't stop raving about the T. And this was before we even got into the car. He said the T is basically a GT3 light, with the perfect balance of power, handling, and performance. My car was equipped with rear-steering which probably made a big difference as well. The T is a beast around the circuit and if I were in the market for a new 911, that is what I would get. Porsche knows what it is doing with these experience centers. It worked so well, my friend who attended with me plans on buying a T. And we are both traditionally old-school aircooled guys. If you ever get the chance to do a session at a PEC, do it. It is well worth the money.

Originally Posted by DC911S
They don't have any cars with the MT anymore at the center. Most people can't drive them and they kept being destroyed by those that are not too clutch worthy.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:40 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice write up. Thanks. I would like to do that.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:32 PM
pittspilot
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to resurrect dead thread, but just drove a manual carrera t at Atlanta PEC. Just wanted that information out there.

Great fun.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:44 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

I'm trying to look into this more myself. My fiance and I are heading to SC for the second wedding shower and from my parents to the PEC it's about a 2 hour drive. She wants to get this for her father and I want to take my dad and brother down.

Some questions for those who did more than one car, is the price the same if you do both cars as just doing one (IE: 475 for Carrera S and 450 for Boxster GTS) . Do they have discounts if you get more than one or is it basically just 925 for both regardless.

Another question, what is the Experience Center like? What type of things their to do besides driving on the track?

I can't wait!!

Quick Reply: PEC Atlanta