Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Ranges, New MT shifting mentality, etc...

Old 06-12-2017, 10:11 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

My previous follow-ups went back to a poster's assertion - "Whatever you do, don't keep those rpms in the 2-3k range on your 911. It's actually bad for these motors.. moreso in a .1 which you have.".

Was the poster just using shorthand for "lugging"?

Or, were they saying that even non-lugging "low RPMs" are inherently harmful to the Porsche flat six?
Old 06-12-2017, 10:11 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 99711mike82
Fellow comrades,

My question is this.... Growing up, when learning to drive stick, I was always "trained" to always keep RPMs between 2-3K (other than racing/track days), and that 1st gear should only be used to "move" the car, and then should shift into 2nd immediately after...

-Mike in So Cal
This is an instructor/parent worried about their student overrevving an engine and way too basic for a 911. My basic answer is don't lug it and don't over rev it but definitely don't be afraid to regularly drive a short stroke relatively high revving flat 6 between 3500 and 5500 rpms. And roll in gas with rpm. Unless cruising at a constant speed your foot should be constantly moving.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:56 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by jchapura
My previous follow-ups went back to a poster's assertion - "Whatever you do, don't keep those rpms in the 2-3k range on your 911. It's actually bad for these motors.. moreso in a .1 which you have.".

Was the poster just using shorthand for "lugging"?

Or, were they saying that even non-lugging "low RPMs" are inherently harmful to the Porsche flat six?
That was me.. the original poster stated "I was always trained to always keep RPMs between 2-3K"

That implies the car is rarely if ever above 3k. I don't see how that is possible without lugging it. Cruising around in that range is fine but if that is your acceleration..

These cars are built to be driven and need to be more often than not. Anything less and she will taunt you with all sorts of issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rev Ranges, New MT shifting mentality, etc...