Sponsored by:

Yet another tire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 06:27 PM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Yet another tire question

I need new rear tires. Currently have MPSS front and rear. I read all over not to mix and match front and rear. Would the new 4S tires fall under the same rules? Wait until I need to replace all 4 to change?
Old 06-10-2017, 07:02 PM
mellowalex
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my new tires put on today.
I got Super Sports in the Rear 305/30/19 from tirerack because they are on sale for $300 a piece, and went with 4S for the Fronts 245/35/19.
I was advised by my local porsche mechanic that it is totally fine to have different front and rears.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:48 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

the car doesnt know the difference. the only problem would be if the other pair was severely worn and you put 2 new ones on
Old 06-12-2017, 09:16 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 to what the other members said. I currently have different fronts than backs and don't feel a difference. I think as long as the thread pattern is more or less similar, you shouldn't have any issues.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-12-2017, 09:26 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by rickster997
I read all over not to mix and match front and rear.
Originally Posted by mellowalex
I was advised by my local porsche mechanic that it is totally fine to have different front and rears.
Originally Posted by OKB
the car doesnt know the difference.
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
I currently have different fronts than backs and don't feel a difference.
Rickster: The posters above are ignoring seasonal temperature effects. Summer performance tires turn into hockey pucks at low temps while M+S tires maintain a fair portion of their grip. Winter tires are designed for cold temps and perform well. Google glass transition temperature if you want to learn about how polymers are affected by temperature.

I would be comfortable mixing front and rear tires if they were produced by the same manufacturer and were intended for the same use and temp range.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Rickster: The posters above are ignoring seasonal temperature effects. Summer performance tires turn into hockey pucks at low temps while M+S tires maintain a fair portion of their grip. Winter tires are designed for cold temps and perform well. Google glass transition temperature if you want to learn about how polymers are affected by temperature.

I would be comfortable mixing front and rear tires if they were produced by the same manufacturer and were intended for the same use and temp range.
I think you misinterpreted: OP said MPSS which are Michelin Pilot Super Sports, the predecessor to the Michelin 4S. They are both summer performance tires and are very similar. The 4S has a slightly more evolved compound but I'd think they'd be 99% compatible. They have the same wear, traction, and temperature ratings.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:21 PM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for the input. I asked through chat on the Michelin website hthe rep said as long as you have the same on the same axle you are ok...
Old 06-14-2017, 02:29 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I think you misinterpreted: OP said MPSS which are Michelin Pilot Super Sports, the predecessor to the Michelin 4S. They are both summer performance tires and are very similar. The 4S has a slightly more evolved compound but I'd think they'd be 99% compatible. They have the same wear, traction, and temperature ratings.
I am running in the PCA Auto X with some people who have the new 4S tire - so far the initial reviews are that the tire is not as firm on the edge as the OE Pilot Sport PS2. When my PS2's are all worn out (won't be long now... ) I'm going to order another set of them.

I'm very impressed with how they've worn, and the grip in the wet even with a much lower thread depth as they wear out. I've had three HPDE weekends and a handful of auto x's on them also.

Regarding the original question, I agree with the previous comment of same tire manufacturer and close compound/wear rating in that it probably shouldn't be a big deal, but I'd never put different tires on either ends of the car. I did it once years ago with really great fronts and a lesser quality rear tire and spun my car . Lesson learned!

Quick Reply: Yet another tire question