Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much would you pay for a 997 roller?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 05:27 PM
slaugherhouse
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how much would you pay for a 997 roller?

Hey Rennlisters

My friend recently developed an engine knock on his 07 911 C2 with 150,000kms. He took it to the shop and they said that the engine has to be rebuilt. He was quoted $18-20kcan for the rebuild at an independent Porsche Shop.

I saw the car and sure enough it's a engine knock. It is also blowing out black smoke from the exhaust.

Right now he's on the fence about repairing it or just cutting his losses and selling the car as is to someone. I'm no mechanic but it might be a good project to take on. Aside from the engine knock the car is in nice shape.

He said if I want it he would sell it to me for $24,000Can. Not sure if that's a good price.

What would you guys pay? or think is a fair value knowing that the engine will have to be rebuilt or replaced with a used one?

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too high imo. I've seen salvage 997s with lower milage and new engines selling for high 20s.

I'd say around 14-17k is fair at the most. This is USD not sure what that translates to in canadian dollars.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

That is way high I think....

Search Rennlist for engine failures..... lotsa threads where folks announce their car blowing up.... there is real information on what they are offered for their rollers. It is not that much IIRC.... think about it, look at what a used functional car costs.... a used salvage engine is around $15K US, a "new" or rebuilt engine is around $23-$25..... ...... Do the math.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Renegade hybrids LS swap. Do it.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

10-15k depending on age and model, not GT# of course.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by slaugherhouse
Hey Rennlisters

My friend recently developed an engine knock on his 07 911 C2 with 150,000kms. He took it to the shop and they said that the engine has to be rebuilt. He was quoted $18-20kcan for the rebuild at an independent Porsche Shop.

I saw the car and sure enough it's a engine knock. It is also blowing out black smoke from the exhaust.

Right now he's on the fence about repairing it or just cutting his losses and selling the car as is to someone. I'm no mechanic but it might be a good project to take on. Aside from the engine knock the car is in nice shape.

He said if I want it he would sell it to me for $24,000Can. Not sure if that's a good price.

What would you guys pay? or think is a fair value knowing that the engine will have to be rebuilt or replaced with a used one?

Thanks.
Kelly site "says" the car's worth $17K to $21K trade in value in "fair" condition. The car in question is not even in fair condition so my WAG is as a roller it is worth less than $17K.

One way of "estimating" the car's value is to appraise it assuming it was in fair/good condition -- which ignores the bum engine -- and from above we have a range of $17K to $21K then get an estimate as to what it would cost to fix the engine or replace the engine (with perhaps one sourced from a salvage yard) and then subtract this from the car's estimated value and that is what the car is "worth".

IOWs say your research indicates it will cost $15K (just a number) to get the engine problem addressed thus $17K to $21K minus $15K is $2K to $5K and that is what the car is worth to you.

Granted it might fetch more, would probably fetch more as a "roller" to a salvage business because it could/would sell the car's interior bits, transmission, other running gear, body panels, head lights, etc. and over time recoup what it paid for the car and then some.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

If you are on the east coast, call DC Automotive www.dcauto.com/ they will tell you what they pay for them. On the west, Parts Heaven https://www.partsheaven.com/

These guys will give you the price you can consider the "floor"... what you get above that is gravy.

About five years ago, DC Automotive was offering $3K for Boxster rollers including pickup. I sold my 2000 Boxster roller for a few hundred more than that.... a 911 back then was a bit more.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-11-2017, 05:59 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

thats about 19-23 cdn dollars.

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
Too high imo. I've seen salvage 997s with lower milage and new engines selling for high 20s.

I'd say around 14-17k is fair at the most. This is USD not sure what that translates to in canadian dollars.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Kelly site "says" the car's worth $17K to $21K trade in value in "fair" condition. The car in question is not even in fair condition so my WAG is as a roller it is worth less than $17K.

One way of "estimating" the car's value is to appraise it assuming it was in fair/good condition -- which ignores the bum engine -- and from above we have a range of $17K to $21K then get an estimate as to what it would cost to fix the engine or replace the engine (with perhaps one sourced from a salvage yard) and then subtract this from the car's estimated value and that is what the car is "worth".

IOWs say your research indicates it will cost $15K (just a number) to get the engine problem addressed thus $17K to $21K minus $15K is $2K to $5K and that is what the car is worth to you.

Granted it might fetch more, would probably fetch more as a "roller" to a salvage business because it could/would sell the car's interior bits, transmission, other running gear, body panels, head lights, etc. and over time recoup what it paid for the car and then some.
Kelly blue book is simply a guide, and when it comes to Porsches and other cars like BMW M/// cars and so on, its never even close to actual value..

a roller is worth 15 minimal in my opinion- he can go get a used engine for 10k install and he's golden. if he wants to deal with all that headache that is
Old 06-13-2017, 03:19 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slaugherhouse
Hey Rennlisters

Thanks.
With friends like this who needs enemies? haha

All prices in US dollars.

A quick nation wide (USA)....asking price for a straight 2007 997 with those miles is about $28k. Used Ebay engines start at $12k. Say you got a solid engine for $15k + $2k for unknown costs plus the roller $18k. You are at $35k or $46.5 Canadian dollar. For that amount you can find a number of complete cars. If you start at the $28k 'complete car' price and subtract the cost of engine and 'oh by the ways', your roller is worth $11k ($14K CAD).

All this is assuming you are doing the labor.

Quick Reply: how much would you pay for a 997 roller?