Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found 2 cars: GTS and C2S, please help me narrow it down

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:15 AM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Think of this as similar to wine, cameras, or stereos. You are paying a large premium for a slight improvement over an excellent product.
Would you pay double or quadruple to go from a 96 point cabernet to a 99 point cabernet? Will you taste the difference? Does it matter that much? Only you can answer.
That said. the GTS will always be worth more.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

one question - are you prone to modifying your cars? Do you think you would be in this case? If so, the GTS is a bargain in that you can spend quite a bit of that 17k to get to the performance that comes standard on that model. Other than ride height (if that's a concern) and sport button ($1k at dealer), you should have no reason to mod the GTS, IMHO.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:34 PM
cmchism
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

I was the one who purchased the 997 4 GTS that an earlier poster eluded to. I've been seriously searching for a GTS for about six months so I think I have a pretty good feel for the market. Here are some general observations....

1) Price range seems to be low $60s for a clean but high mileage GTS, all the way up to low to mid $80s for a low milage, 6sp, with full options.

2) Number of GTS's listed has dwindled into the summer which isn't exactly what you'd expect, and might be indicative of higher demand for them in general.

3) The rank of desirability (and price) goes as follows from high to low....
-GTS 6sp coupe
-GTS 4 6sp coupe (-$2k or so)
-GTS PDK coupe (another -3k or so)
-GTS 4 PDK coupe (another -$2k or so)
-anything without a top! (another -$5k or so)

4) Centerlock wheels are a debate as some like the looks and exclusivity, while others argue for the practicality of a 5 stud. Its a tossup to me but I went with CL.

5) Full leather seems to have a lot more demand and will command a slight premium to the alcantara.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:04 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by cmchism
I was the one who purchased the 997 4 GTS that an earlier poster eluded to. I've been seriously searching for a GTS for about six months so I think I have a pretty good feel for the market. Here are some general observations....

1) Price range seems to be low $60s for a clean but high mileage GTS, all the way up to low to mid $80s for a low milage, 6sp, with full options.

2) Number of GTS's listed has dwindled into the summer which isn't exactly what you'd expect, and might be indicative of higher demand for them in general.

3) The rank of desirability (and price) goes as follows from high to low....
-GTS 6sp coupe
-GTS 4 6sp coupe (-$2k or so)
-GTS PDK coupe (another -3k or so)
-GTS 4 PDK coupe (another -$2k or so)
-anything without a top! (another -$5k or so)

4) Centerlock wheels are a debate as some like the looks and exclusivity, while others argue for the practicality of a 5 stud. Its a tossup to me but I went with CL.

5) Full leather seems to have a lot more demand and will command a slight premium to the alcantara.
This is great info. Point 1 confirms that the GTS being offered to the OP is overpriced by 6-8k
Old 06-07-2017, 04:09 PM
cmchism
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

I actually think the GTS is pretty fairly valued at $70k. I was able to get mine with 18k miles for $70k, but mine is a PDK GTS 4, which should be about $6k less than his. Given the higher mileage being offered to the OP, I think they're in the right ballpark.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
2012 GTS: 39,500 miles at $70K, seems a bit high, manual or not. Did the price on the GTS go up? It should be about $65K max with those miles.
GTS prices have definitely gone up a bit. And the number of available cars has drop precipitously. In other, smaller markets, like the UK, values have gone up significantly. (I was shocked to hear they're getting somewhat close to 997.2 GT3 values, there. Them Brits love their GTSes.) Here, that price for that car with those miles is pretty much spot on. Might even be considered low, considering the performance oriented specs. Not overpriced at all, from what I've seen.

To the OP: 39k miles is nothing on a well maintained 911. Go for it. You'll love it. The perfect size modern 911. The extra curviness of the wide body is really appreciated only in person. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
This is great info. Point 1 confirms that the GTS being offered to the OP is overpriced by 6-8k
Have you watched 997.2 C2S values lately? They're definitely holding steady, and even going up a bit. Clean, low mileage later cars (2010-11) cars with good performance oriented specs are selling for high fifties to low sixties now. That in itself will push all GTSes up market. The days of GTSes selling in the low sixties is now over. Supply and demand. Plus these cars are not getting any younger. Nice cars with low miles and possibly even CPO, are getting thin on the ground....
Old 06-07-2017, 06:34 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll sell you my 2012 GTS manual Sports Chrono, full leather, bose, Bluetooth, Porsche ssk, adaptive headlights, heated seats, with one mod.. Sharkwerks center bypass.. 58.5k miles. 70k firm. please look at my posts to see documented history and pictures or pm me. car always maintained at porsche dealer. no over revs above two.. and just handful at that. car runs SWEET, cpo expires this month. taking to dealer for last checkup before deadline but nothing is wrong with car.

Last edited by love2drive; 06-07-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:10 PM
J_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm biased on the GTS but I feel the need to take into account that its local and might be able to knock a few grand off.

OP you need to take into account that costs related to finding a vehicle you can't see up front.

PPI is irrelevant because that needs to be done either way, but transportation, travel, etc....

If its local and either one checks the boxes, a couple of grand isn't that big a deal with this large a purchase for the right car.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:53 AM
997TTEQNY
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

$74K seems like a lot of cabbage for a GTS (to me) for what you get in return. If the 6MT cars are fetching a premium over PDK that makes sense given the low production. The same goes for .2TT cars with 6 speeds. We really need to see a build sheet on both cars.

For that price you can find a fairly well optioned .1 Turbo 6MT (if that is of any interest to you).

Just thought I would throw that out there.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:17 AM
J_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

What's the long term maint costs for a Turbo?
Old 06-08-2017, 11:26 AM
997TTEQNY
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by J_D
What's the long term maint costs for a Turbo?
So far, mine have been relatively predictable.

Fresh Fluids
Brake Flush
Rubber

Its got the mezger block which is pretty bulletproof and very responsive to a tune and mods.

The weak point in the design is the fact that porsche glued the coolant lines instead of pinning. Not sure how they are done in Carreras or the DFI engines.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:39 AM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

A lot of 993 base Carrera owners are kicking themselves for not purchasing a widebody S when they had the chance when prices were more reasonable. In a few years, I think there's a good chance that a lot of 997.2 S owners are going to kick themselves for not spending the extra money to buy a GTS when they had the chance to pick one up for a reasonable price, especially 6MT GTS coupes, IMHO.

Last edited by blakecam; 06-09-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

GTS is my vote but price is....
Old 06-09-2017, 05:33 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone. I am leaning toward the C2S at this point: it just seems like the better value, lower miles. The GTS would be lovely, but...it is significantly more, and from a DD application, it is going to be 2.5 years older out of the box. I saw a GTS at a local event last night (not the one I am considering) and it wasn't that much different than a C2S it was parked near.

The build sheets for each were:

C2S) black, typical C2S options (Bose, Dynamic cornering lights, seat ventilation). Extras are: Manual, Full Leather, Sport Chrono. $104k build

GTS) also typical options, but it has alcantara delete, no SC, Center locks, full leather (but in beige, not my favorite), and adaptive sport seats. $116k build.

Really, aside from the exclusivity and wide-body, slightly bigger engine, PSE, and adaptive sport seats, it is tough to justify the price difference for me. Especially with the much lower mileage on the C2S. I don't think I can go wrong either way; if i love the C2S, I can drive the heck out of it for 2 years, sell it with 30,000 miles for high 40's, and look for something newer. I can get a set of adaptive seats for $3k or so, sell then when I am done, and still come out ahead.

Quick Reply: Found 2 cars: GTS and C2S, please help me narrow it down