Sponsored by:

997 Center Console Respray: DIY Instructions For Amazing Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Amazing job!

Can you feel that Porsche crest logo on the center arm rest when your arm is laying on it?
Old 06-18-2017, 02:39 PM
rporzio
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Really nice work, well done! R.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:29 AM
SlickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

How’s it holding up?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:50 AM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow great thread!

My next project!
Old 03-19-2018, 12:54 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

@Slickone - held up perfectly. Almost 1 year and 12k miles and it no scuffs or scratches. I would definitely go this route vs paying ~$650 for a new one. It was very easy and the texture of the paint I used matches exactly. Unfortunately it gave me a false sense of confidence to tackle the silver trim on my steering wheel. That was a disaster. If those are scratched just buy new ones for $150 and be done with it. They must be a different type of plastic. The paint would wrinkle if it wasn't sanded down to bare plastic and the paint prep spray reacted with the plastic and caused it to crack.

@Zettinger - since you already know how to remove the PCM removing the console will be simple. Pulling the gear shift is a little tricky. Just straddle the console and pull up with both arms. If you try with one arm you're going to break the mirror, or your hand, when it pops off. Be very slow when pulling the console out so it does scrape the hand brake.

One of my most satisfying projects since the results came out great.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:23 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 171 Posts

On the gear shift, I found that using a pair of locking pliers on the metal shaft and then anything strong/bent with an angle to just lever the shifter off (after unlocking it) was a whole lot easier than trying to yank it off. I should have a picture somewhere.

When I painted my interior, I did what most did here in terms of sanding everything off but went out and bought automative paint and color matched the exterior and clear coated everything. Same level of effort and the automotive paint probably adds no more than $30 to the project.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:25 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

^^^^ I did the same thing but with a brake pad spreader covered in painters tape. Worked like a charm.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:01 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome work guys. I have replaced my CC with leather, but below the armrests looks terrible and the area around the door pulls is getting gooey - getting them off seems like a lot of work and I have not seen anyone show how to get that arm rest section off. Wouldn't want to risk painting with them on the car, but I bet the "quick and dirty" guys prepping a car for sale would.

I wrote up, with photos, a very detailed step by step for pulling the CC - since I have done it twice, I thought the 2nd time would be worth documenting because there can be some "gotchas". I feel badly how long it took me, versus TheBruce at 30 min., but I'm paranoid and **** and maybe over think things.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...g-diy-pdf.html - mostly was based on the macarbon instructions but with a bit more detail - some specific to my car with PDK and iPod.
The following users liked this post:
Bubbabuzz (08-13-2020)
Old 11-25-2018, 09:54 PM
HAAANK
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@TheBruce great write up.

I'm going to try this with color matched automotive paint, beige interior. Anyone with beige interior give this a shot, do colors match okay??
I may also wait until spring / summer as winter has arrived here in the Midwest.
The following users liked this post:
Bubbabuzz (08-13-2020)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:12 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Thx @HAAANK. Let us know how it turns out. Its a good winter project if you have a garage.

And for the rest of you, its been nearly 2 years and the console still looks as good as new. Have had absolutely no scratches or scuffs, and I've got an 8 and 9 year old who are regularly jumping into the back.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:39 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@Thebruce, its fun to read your very detailed write ups, thanks for that effort. You mentioned a Classic 9 leather covered console as an option, ever seen one in person? I have not seen one and just wondering if it’s a quality piece. Expensive, but a lot less than other leather options and it seems like a nice add especially in a full leather car. I would be fine with the 4 week turnaround during the winter.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:33 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Thx Jeff! Ive never seen the Classic 9. I have seen the Exclusive Option at Sonnen and that was very nice. The guys is located in the east bay and he will give discounts, but still expensive.

Hows your car? Lets get out for a drive soon.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:00 AM
Xrism
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good job
Old 12-08-2018, 01:49 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Bruce I picked up all the materials from your post to do this one of these days when the weather is bad outside. Around my door handles need it more than my center console so I may tackle them first if I can find a DIY post. I appreciate the post. Cheers.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:21 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Nice, keep us posted @doclouie .

Re the door handles, do you mean the silver handle or the black trim piece? I would be very cautious on respraying any plastic interior silver trim pieces. I tried to respray the silver trim pieces on my steering wheel and it was a nightmare. It must use a specific type of plastic that doesn't take kindly to being painted. I must have redone it 5-6 times and never could get it 100%. I think silver the trim pieces will only run you $30-100 so those are worth just buying new and replacing.

Quick Reply: 997 Center Console Respray: DIY Instructions For Amazing Results