Sponsored by:

Cut and program new key question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 03:25 PM
AMGM5S8
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cut and program new key question

So I have a brand new spare OEM key and head that was given to me when I purchased the car a few years ago.

It needs to be cut and programmed and have tried several locksmiths and they can't do.

Made an appointment at dealer and they just called back to say they cannot do as I did not buy it from them. I asked why as it is still in OEM packaging with Porsche part numbers. There response is company policy.

I just love the dealer!! Last week I brought my Audi in for warranty and they told me I had an exhaust leak and it was aimed at the gas tank. Cost was $1975 to replace. I said are you nuts for me to believe that a stainless steel exhaust and living in Florida that it would rust
Old 05-25-2017, 03:38 PM
Wasserkühlung
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks they wont cut and program it for you. Ask them if you can just buy the key blade from them then come back and tell them the key fob does not work and they may just charge you for programming. Can't help you with the Audi sorry
Old 05-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGM5S8
So I have a brand new spare OEM key and head that was given to me when I purchased the car a few years ago.

It needs to be cut and programmed and have tried several locksmiths and they can't do.

Made an appointment at dealer and they just called back to say they cannot do as I did not buy it from them. I asked why as it is still in OEM packaging with Porsche part numbers. There response is company policy.

I just love the dealer!! Last week I brought my Audi in for warranty and they told me I had an exhaust leak and it was aimed at the gas tank. Cost was $1975 to replace. I said are you nuts for me to believe that a stainless steel exhaust and living in Florida that it would rust
The key can be cut. I believe the problem is the key blade is steel and most keys are made of a softer material (brass) and the locksmiths are reluctant to subject their key cutting machine to the wear/tear of cutting a steel blade.

You just need to keep searching for a locksmith that can cut the key. Search online then call first.

As for the dealer refusing to introduce the key to the car's security system contact PCNA customer service and complain about this refusal and ask if this is PCNA's policy?
Old 05-25-2017, 04:41 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

I face the exact same predicament. Local steelership quoted $765 for new key, programming and sales taxes.

Guys, there has to be a a better solution so please chime in! Please!!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:32 PM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't have 'the' answer, but suggest you try multiple dealers. I misplaced my key and luckily found it, but while it was missing I was quoted $373.56 for key and remote and $165 for the labor to program. Quite a bit cheaper than $765
Old 05-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

As for the dealer refusing to introduce the key to the car's security system contact PCNA customer service and complain about this refusal and ask if this is PCNA's policy?
+1!

I have used the PCNA service and they really do help. 1 (800) 767-7243

Sometimes, they may not help you if cross some sort of confidentiality line with them, but I doubt this key issue is one of them. They would not provide me with the original price and options list for my car unless I provide them with proof of ownership... so they then updated me in their system. I forget what you need to provide to them... state registration or whatever.... just scan it to a PDF or JPG ... maybe just snap a photo of it... and have it ready when you talk to them.

As we address "oddities" with our cars, we begin to see the dealerships are not German Monasteries with a books of secrets... they are just stores.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-25-2017, 09:01 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by patriot993
I don't have 'the' answer, but suggest you try multiple dealers. I misplaced my key and luckily found it, but while it was missing I was quoted $373.56 for key and remote and $165 for the labor to program. Quite a bit cheaper than $765
$765...he is in Puerto Rico is why

To get the key programmed, find a local Porsche Indy shop with a piwis, as for the blade, have the Indy order a cut correct one from Porsche via your cars VIN
Old 05-26-2017, 02:53 AM
FLA 997
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a local Porsche only shop here in Orlando that will do it for a fraction of the dealer price. Maybe you have a similar place in PBI.
Another place to ask would be on your local PCA Facebook page.
Good Luck!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:51 AM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI - I bought a couple blanks from Maxspeed (so not OEM) and had a local VW dealer cut them...$8.75 total. You may not pay the same price but directionally you can see what you need to do - call local VW/Audi dealers and see if they can help you. Just make sure you have your working key and car registration/ID with you.

For they head/receiver, I bought online from Beverly Hills Porsche for $165 and thankfully my local Indy programmed for $30.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:59 AM
AMGM5S8
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All great tips. I will try and report back
Old 05-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon9898
$765...he is in Puerto Rico is why
Gee, if I were race sensitive person that almost sounds like a veiled Trumpesque snide remark...

Actually I think that the price comes down to basic economics. They charge that because as the only dealer on the island, they can! So it's a take it or leave it business proposition.

Hence my appeal to anyone who's gone that route and can maybe offer alternatives available in the US which I might be able to explore.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:49 AM
SWO Daddy
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd recommend using these guys. https://keysinthepost.com/product-ca...rsche-car-key/

I got them to cut the blade, purchased an OEM FOB for $90 on the forum and sweet talked the dealer to programming for free. Killed them with kindness.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:29 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
Gee, if I were race sensitive person that almost sounds like a veiled Trumpesque snide remark...

Actually I think that the price comes down to basic economics. They charge that because as the only dealer on the island, they can! So it's a take it or leave it business proposition.

Hence my appeal to anyone who's gone that route and can maybe offer alternatives available in the US which I might be able to explore.
Your first paragraph completely missed my point,
Your second paragraph then repeated my point.
Porsche items/services cost more in Puerto Rico than mainland USA.
The end.

Quick Reply: Cut and program new key question