Sponsored by:

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 01:20 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clear bra

The clear bra that came with my '06 997 is showing a lot of wear. There is some yellowing going on. It also has some nicks and tears. I have this same clear cover on my rear fenders and side mirrors. It is in much better shape on those places. What's involved in removing and is it something I should attempt. Then do I need to replace it, or can I do without. . My previous 911 did not have a clear bra. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Bwk02
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my '06 997 C2 Cab about a year ago, and it too had a clear bra. The docs on the car showed it to be an Avery Denison brand.
I went about removing it with a heat gun to soften the material and then peeled it off. It took some effort, but it came off without too much trouble. There were spots where I had to use some Goo Gone to remove some residual tacky spots. It probably took me a couple of hours.
Its been a few months now, and I don't intend to replace it.
One thing to note is that after removing it, there is a faint line where the film used to be. Will have to try buffing that out at some point, but it is pretty faint.
Good luck with your decision.
Not sure what brand film you may have, but if you do plan on giving it a go, perhaps give it a try in an inconspicuous area before attacking the whole project.
Thanks
Old 05-24-2017, 07:33 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

its not meant to be forever, you may have to replace it if it yellows or has nicks. The new material is improving assuming you buy good quality material
Old 05-25-2017, 10:31 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwk02
One thing to note is that after removing it, there is a faint line where the film used to be. Will have to try buffing that out at some point, but it is pretty faint.
This should blend when compounded even with a light polish.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

Using a heavier material is a double-edged sword. It is more durable, but the edges are more evident (especially when dirty) and catch wax and dirt. Then, when you pay special attention to the edges to clean them, the underlying paint can get scratched.

That's why, given the choice, I prefer a thinner clear bra material.

Maybe it's just me, but I've also had better luck with thinner overlays not yellowing as badly as thicker material. I don't know why that would be, but it has worked out that way for me.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:23 AM
Bwk02
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Zirrah
Considering picking up a DA random orbital polisher
Possibly between either the Griot's Garage 6" or Porter Cable 7424
Leaning towards the Griot's
Anyone have either and preferences?

Quick Reply: Clear bra