Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has your PDK gearbox needed replacement? Please don't answer if your car is a manual.
Yes
11.17%
No
88.83%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Is PDK the new IMS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 02:42 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

My 09 C2S has 52K miles and the PDK. In my search for a good Porsche mechanic, I've come to the conclusion if you have to take your car to a dealer you are most likely going to get things replaced rather than repaired. The computer tells them this work takes this long and costs this much, period. I asked the boss at the independent garage where I take my cars, about the PDK failures and costs and he shook his head and chuckled.

BTW, I have driven manual transmissions my entire life and my daily driver is a manual Mini. After driving the PDK for a few months, manual transmissions seem obsolete. The PDK shifts faster, no driveline shock, no rpm drop or boost loss, can't over-rev on a down shift, can't upshift and bog the engine, you are always in the right gear for fast passing and gets better gas mileage.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
My 09 C2S has 52K miles and the PDK. In my search for a good Porsche mechanic, I've come to the conclusion if you have to take your car to a dealer you are most likely going to get things replaced rather than repaired. The computer tells them this work takes this long and costs this much, period. I asked the boss at the independent garage where I take my cars, about the PDK failures and costs and he shook his head and chuckled.

BTW, I have driven manual transmissions my entire life and my daily driver is a manual Mini. After driving the PDK for a few months, manual transmissions seem obsolete. The PDK shifts faster, no driveline shock, no rpm drop or boost loss, can't over-rev on a down shift, can't upshift and bog the engine, you are always in the right gear for fast passing and gets better gas mileage.
Please ask that chuckling indy boss where he gets his parts from once he starts to take that PDK apart. The dealerships can't even get them from Porsche since they're not allowed to take them apart to begin with.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:26 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Please ask that chuckling indy boss where he gets his parts from once he starts to take that PDK apart. The dealerships can't even get them from Porsche since they're not allowed to take them apart to begin with.
See post #5 above....PCNA is repairing and doing core exchanges on these units.

My understanding is that the Porsche PDK has a lot in common with other VW/Audi group dual clutch transmissions and they are repairable. This is my understanding so I'm prepared to be proven wrong :-)
You can poke around on the web and find shops offering repair services Austrin Engineering in the UK and Trust Transmission in Ontario are two examples. Now again they are claiming repair/rebuild capability - so the big question is has anyone got any real world experience in having a PDK repaired by an Indy? (outside of fluid change).
Old 06-26-2018, 09:10 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm quickly reminded why I don't spend much time on this forum - constant disaster scenarios presented and silly comparisons/fear-mongering.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
With later models (e.g. 991), that feature was supported.

But it's not supported on the 997.2

Karl.
Karl, thanks. I don't have a PDK but knew this worked on some of them, just not which ones. I'll add this to my mental database.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:53 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

True enough, dealers are not allowed to take them apart. That's why you go to an independent. Most PDK failures are due to sensors or computer software, which are not made by Porsche. But his primary point was the number of incidents of PDK failure was extremely low, considering the number of Porsches that have them (better than 70% since 2009). Naturally, you are going to read about the failures on the internet forums. Like Para82 noted, waaaay too much fear mongering.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:16 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Worse case scenario, my 911 PDK tranny gives up the ghost and needs to be replaced. Are there 997.2 generation PDKs available to replace it? If so, how much $$$ are we talking about?
Anyone know or any guesses?
T
Old 06-27-2018, 02:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

True enough, dealers are not allowed to take them apart. That's why you go to an independent. Most PDK failures are due to sensors or computer software, which are not made by Porsche. But his primary point was the number of incidents of PDK failure was extremely low, considering the number of Porsches that have them (better than 70% since 2009). Naturally, you are going to read about the failures on the internet forums. Like Para82 noted, waaaay too much fear mongering.
Agree 100% that most PDK failures seem to be software related. Mine sure was. In fact I can't recall reading about a failure that was mechanically related. Would be really interesting to hear from an independent who has actually managed to source components necessary for PDK repairs and subsequently made successful PDK repairs. There are whispers and rumors of this going on but I haven't seen testimony from an indy actually doing it. If there are indys out there doing this it seems like an unforgivable marketing failure not bragging about it here and elsewhere given the lack of options and the expense those with failures and no warranty are facing.

As for the number of failures, obviously very low as you say but given the cost of the failures they tend to get a lot of attention no matter how few and far between.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:41 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

I don't know how busy independents are in other parts of the country, but the one I go to has a long waiting list and they are not looking for more work!
Old 06-28-2018, 12:56 AM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to clarify, I doubt there are any software related failures. There would be no need to replace the transmission for a software issue nor would replacement solve anything. A software issue would be a programming glitch or a good example would be the low battery issue. There seem to be electrical hardware issues such as sensors that may fail. This will result in the software recognizing the failed sensor and preventing the transmission from operating.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:06 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

I don't know how busy independents are in other parts of the country, but the one I go to has a long waiting list and they are not looking for more work!
A long waiting list fixing broken PDK's?
Old 06-28-2018, 01:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ttreat
Just to clarify, I doubt there are any software related failures. There would be no need to replace the transmission for a software issue nor would replacement solve anything. A software issue would be a programming glitch or a good example would be the low battery issue. There seem to be electrical hardware issues such as sensors that may fail. This will result in the software recognizing the failed sensor and preventing the transmission from operating.
That's a better way of putting it. Still points to "electrical issues" being by far the most common cause of failure rather than mechanical.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:05 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

I think he means they are busy and perhaps too busy to try and spend a bunch of time figuring out something very complicated they have never taken on before. That is a big undertaking for some Indie with plenty of business to take on, especially if they never or rarely see such problems.

If I recall correctly, 2 of the above failures in this poll/thread were Caymans and perhaps one was a 991. My dealership has replaced a pdk in a 991 and in a Panamera (which he said has a different and known issue not affecting other models). He said the 991 pdk was "questionable" whether it needed to be replaced, but Fidelity stepped up and paid for a new transmission. The problem sounded mechanical and not software related, perhaps a clutch issue. I cannot recall, but he said something about going into gear smoothly.

My other buddies whose family owns and runs/manages a different dealership has replaced a Panamera pdk, but none in 911 models. Both my local dealership and buddies' dealership have seen several IMS failures each year. I would say given the number of cars on the road with pdk versus the number with the IMS bearing, the pdk failures have not reached the level of concern yet. It may in the future and perhaps if it does,we will start seeing more repair options if and when devoting the time and resources to learn to work on these transmission becomes financially prudent decision.

Last edited by Doug H; 06-28-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:45 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

A long waiting list in general. I've been waiting for month to get some work done on my Mini, just got bumped again today. I want him to do the Sport/Sport+ upgrade to my C2S and he can't fit that in for 6 weeks.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:27 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Doug H
I think he means they are busy and perhaps too busy to try and spend a bunch of time figuring out something very complicated they have never taken on before. That is a big undertaking for some Indie with plenty of business to take on, especially if they never or rarely see such problems.

If I recall correctly, 2 of the above failures in this poll/thread were Caymans and perhaps one was a 991. My dealership has replaced a pdk in a 991 and in a Panamera (which he said has a different and known issue not affecting other models). He said the 991 pdk was "questionable" whether it needed to be replaced, but Fidelity stepped up and paid for a new transmission. The problem sounded mechanical and not software related, perhaps a clutch issue. I cannot recall, but he said something about going into gear smoothly.

My other buddies whose family owns and runs/manages a different dealership has replaced a Panamera pdk, but none in 911 models. Both my local dealership and buddies' dealership have seen several IMS failures each year. I would say given the number of cars on the road with pdk versus the number with the IMS bearing, the pdk failures have not reached the level of concern yet. It may in the future and perhaps if it does,we will start seeing more repair options if and when devoting the time and resources to learn to work on these transmission becomes financially prudent decision.
Add my -09 997 C4S to that tally. Agree with you though. I've heard of more failures on Panameras, Macans and Caymans than on 911's. Which confuses me. Accurate or not but my service advisor says the GT cars have a modified PDK but all other PDK cars have essentially the same transmissions. Isn't the accepted IMS failure rate of 997.1's around 5%? Based on posts here and elsewhere and discussions I've had with my dealership I don't think the PDK failure rate is anywhere close to that. At least not yet.

Quick Reply: Is PDK the new IMS?