Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has your PDK gearbox needed replacement? Please don't answer if your car is a manual.
Yes
11.17%
No
88.83%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Is PDK the new IMS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 06:46 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Add my -09 997 C4S to that tally. Agree with you though. I've heard of more failures on Panameras, Macans and Caymans than on 911's. Which confuses me. Accurate or not but my service advisor says the GT cars have a modified PDK but all other PDK cars have essentially the same transmissions. Isn't the accepted IMS failure rate of 997.1's around 5%? Based on posts here and elsewhere and discussions I've had with my dealership I don't think the PDK failure rate is anywhere close to that. At least not yet.
My Porsche really h buddy definitely told me the Panamera pdk is different and the issue affecting it would not impact 911s.

Transmissions fail in pretty much all high performance cars in all brands. Perhaps the pdk failure rate is less than say certain models of the ZF. Perhaps it is not. We are senestive to it because of the replacement requirement even for something relatively minor and the costs versus the price of car.

My wife purchased 997.2 cabs last summer and one for this summer. We purchased Fidelity power train warranties for both solely to cover the transmission.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H

My Porsche really h buddy definitely told me the Panamera pdk is different and the issue affecting it would not impact 911s.

Transmissions fail in pretty much all high performance cars in all brands. Perhaps the pdk failure rate is less than say certain models of the ZF. Perhaps it is not. We are senestive to it because of the replacement requirement even for something relatively minor and the costs versus the price of car.

My wife purchased 997.2 cabs last summer and one for this summer. We purchased Fidelity power train warranties for both solely to cover the transmission.
Same here. If my GTS wasn't a PDK car I would have self insured after the CPO expired. Bought Fidelity coverage only because of the PDK, especially having been through one $14,000 failure already with my previous car. No argument......very low odds of failure but with the miles on my car approaching 60K, the cost of a failure from her on would get close to 25% of the value of the car.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:19 AM
JohnC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 92 Posts

FWIW myC4S PDK has 103K miles and looking forward to 200K problem free miles. PDK service was performed at 60K miles and the car is driven year round in Buffalo weather.

John
Old 05-01-2019, 05:21 PM
11Spyder700
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2011 Spyder w/ 40,500 mi, I do participate in PCA DEs but do NOT abuse the car. Transmission failed - needs to be replaced. Waiting to hear from Porsche after the dealer informed me that "we as a dealership are proposing a goodwill opportunity to Porsche"
Old 05-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

The results seem to steer towards my findings..... If one thing, the PDK is worst that the IMS, therefore the clear reliability winner is a manual 997.2....

From best to worst would be 997.2 with manual, 2006-2008 997.1, 2005 997.1, 1997-2005 996, and worst of all, 997.2 with PDK..... who would have known😜

I didn't vote since they aren't mine, but in my neck of the woods, I know 2 997.2 with PDK and they both failed while their owner don't track them.

Their experience is one of the reasons I went with a 997.1 rather than a 997.2 with PDK, cause I originally wanted an automatic..... but decided on a 6spd.2007 cause the tiptronic while much more reliable, is not a good match for a 911. Would have sucked to have spent some 10K more for a 997.2 to avoid the infamous ims problems, only to find out that the PDK has twice the failure rate!!!!!

Last edited by Steph1; 05-01-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:06 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by 11Spyder700
2011 Spyder w/ 40,500 mi, I do participate in PCA DEs but do NOT abuse the car. Transmission failed - needs to be replaced. Waiting to hear from Porsche after the dealer informed me that "we as a dealership are proposing a goodwill opportunity to Porsche"
The pdk from the factory doesn't come with enough cooling for the track, even a DE.

They did add with the 981 a gear cooler in addition to the pdk side cooling, which helps, but it's still not enough.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:50 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

The rates I was quoted by Fidelity for platinum coverage for my car was $11k, for drive train coverage it was $3k. These were both for 4 years and 40k miles on my 09 C2S with 54k miles. There was no difference quoted for manual or automatic transmissions, however manual transmissions had exclusions for clutch and related parts. If the PDK was an issue I would have expected a much higher rate. Quotes from other companies were much lower.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:20 AM
J_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of hearsay, and speculation in this thread.

Comparing.1 IMS failures to .2 PDK failures...... How is this remotely possible?

My GTS is PDK. I have zero fear of it failing. Can it happen, sure, all mechanical things fail.

You guys sound like the guys on the Rolex forums, afraid to actually wear their watch or debate taking the stickers off.

It's nothing but a watch at the end of the day, not some holy relic to be worshipped. Same as a Porsche. Drive it, enjoy it.

Don't be that guy that only pulls out of the garage to polish it, and panics at the first threat of rain.

PDK, manual, who gives a ........? You bought your car because it pleased you. What else matters?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:44 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

I challenge those with real PDK problems to research inside the Porsche community of PDK cars, as well as PCNA sources and post the numbers of PDK failures. Is it 20% of the production, 10%, 5%, 1%? Without real data, one's failure is a personal loss but otherwise meaningless.

This thread already illustrates those (statistically insignificant) personal losses, along with the doomsayers and others with personal agendas (e.g., the manual is the only one to have).
Old 05-02-2019, 09:21 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I challenge those with real PDK problems to research inside the Porsche community of PDK cars, as well as PCNA sources and post the numbers of PDK failures. Is it 20% of the production, 10%, 5%, 1%? Without real data, one's failure is a personal loss but otherwise meaningless.

This thread already illustrates those (statistically insignificant) personal losses, along with the doomsayers and others with personal agendas (e.g., the manual is the only one to have).
Hopefully you realize this wouldn't be possible by anyone, not even Porsche. Same goes with other kinds of failures. The only information on this comes by way of hearsay. One shop knows of this many people who had issues, such and such forum member (who owns a manual car and can't shut up about it, of course) heard of this many people who had issues, one other forum member had a problem with his car and made a post... etc etc. Even Porsche couldn't know this information themselves, not to a great accuracy. Since there will be folks who had failures who never contacted Porsche. And there will be folks who had failures who fiddled and made some adjustments and found out it wasn't a failure. And I have no doubt, that somewhere someone has successfully repaired an issue themselves and perhaps didn't report anything about it either. Gathering all of this information as well as various posts from forums... as well as the fact that PDK cars exist globally, and what about those numbers. There simply isn't a way to gather this data, by anyone. Those trying to pin a number on it are just making **** up. flat out.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

The PDK has proven to be bulletproof. We had zero failures in all the track cars we built and maintained for years. But we service the hell out of them and add extra cooling, etc.

If you track the car, you can't observe the factory service intervals. Even if it's a DE, you have to service the car as if it's a race car. Sorry, in my experience, mixed use street/DE cars are not serviced as regularly as is required.

Bare minimum for street use, the factory service intervals need to be shortened. As I posted on this thread almost a year ago, I follow a two to three year or 24k and 36k for street cars whether it's a PDK, DSG, or automatic.

I'll go one step further and say bare minimum if you track your car, even DE, you have to change the transmission fluid once yearly.

We change the fluid every other track event and filter every second fluid change. Gear lube gets done every third event. Maybe overkill, but we had zero failures following this regimen.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Hopefully you realize this wouldn't be possible by anyone, not even Porsche. Same goes with other kinds of failures. The only information on this comes by way of hearsay. One shop knows of this many people who had issues, such and such forum member (who owns a manual car and can't shut up about it, of course) heard of this many people who had issues, one other forum member had a problem with his car and made a post... etc etc. Even Porsche couldn't know this information themselves, not to a great accuracy. Since there will be folks who had failures who never contacted Porsche. And there will be folks who had failures who fiddled and made some adjustments and found out it wasn't a failure. And I have no doubt, that somewhere someone has successfully repaired an issue themselves and perhaps didn't report anything about it either. Gathering all of this information as well as various posts from forums... as well as the fact that PDK cars exist globally, and what about those numbers. There simply isn't a way to gather this data, by anyone. Those trying to pin a number on it are just making **** up. flat out.
Hearsay, especially as it is practiced in this thread, is incomplete information. Have no doubt that PAG and ZF do know. They know all the stats, number of failures and failure modes. No doubt about that! And that is what's real.

Last edited by ADias; 05-02-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:43 PM
J_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like to see the ratio of actual failures, vs how many were delivered. Is it less then 1%.....5%?

Of course forum numbers are typically inflated for things that go wrong.

Also, I'd like to know how many people have a car that failed that was poorly maintained to begin with? what was the percentage of poorly maintained PDK issues, compared to ones that weren't. How many were tracked in very hot conditions? So many variables to make such a blanket statement, like IMS which is an acknowledged design issue.

Lots of people I know lease them and barely care about maintenance for the simple reason that it'll be someone else's problem soon. How many people can barely afford the car, and don't also follow the recommended proper maintenance (This isn't only a Porsche issue)
Old 05-02-2019, 03:49 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by J_D
I would like to see the ratio of actual failures, vs how many were delivered. Is it less then 1%.....5%?

Of course forum numbers are typically inflated for things that go wrong.

Also, I'd like to know how many people have a car that failed that was poorly maintained to begin with? what was the percentage of poorly maintained PDK issues, compared to ones that weren't. How many were tracked in very hot conditions? So many variables to make such a blanket statement, like IMS which is an acknowledged design issue.

Lots of people I know lease them and barely care about maintenance for the simple reason that it'll be someone else's problem soon. How many people can barely afford the car, and don't also follow the recommended proper maintenance (This isn't only a Porsche issue)
good point, I think deferred maintenance is how most german cars got their reputation for poor reliability. I recently bought a B7 RS4, $75,000 price tag new, I got it for under $30,000. The car is over half off in price but maintenance and parts still cost like they do for a $75,000 car.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:01 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by J_D
Regarding leases, a dealer told me that while it is a fact that people should avoid cars that were owned by leasing companies for daily and weekly leases, the long term leasee on the other hand has a contract and therefore an obligation to at least follow the recommended maintenance and cares for his/her car to make sure to avoid big penalties for not following the dealer maintenance schedule.

Quick Reply: Is PDK the new IMS?