Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Revs Fluctuating

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:00 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Anyone who has been around computers knows that minor fails, hangs , glitches, crashes etc can occur when a series non random events occur that the programmers dont account for. If the operating parameters are quite narrow as in the pdk, is it possible to throw the temperature code routinely due to a glitch as the techs never can find anything wrong. Im just gathering information and asking question. Like ....when the pdk over temperature code thows , what modes normal sport or +, pasm normal or sport were you driving in, were you driving porsche aggressive or regular car normal. Very little is out there about the pdk and i just want guys to pay attention as to what they were doing when this code is thrown, as in my reviews it seems they were not driving the cars hard when the code comes up. Just doing some research ,didnt want to hijack the thread , just the op's recollection

I believe there is a clutch pack rebuild/ replacement out there for the pdk.
There is also a lot of misinformation out there about the pdk
Old 05-19-2017, 02:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
Anyone who has been around computers knows that minor fails, hangs , glitches, crashes etc can occur when a series non random events occur that the programmers dont account for. If the operating parameters are quite narrow as in the pdk, is it possible to throw the temperature code routinely due to a glitch as the techs never can find anything wrong. Im just gathering information and asking question. Like ....when the pdk over temperature code thows , what modes normal sport or +, pasm normal or sport were you driving in, were you driving porsche aggressive or regular car normal. Very little is out there about the pdk and i just want guys to pay attention as to what they were doing when this code is thrown, as in my reviews it seems they were not driving the cars hard when the code comes up. Just doing some research ,didnt want to hijack the thread , just the op's recollection

I believe there is a clutch pack rebuild/ replacement out there for the pdk.
There is also a lot of misinformation out there about the pdk
I see no reason for PDK control issues with any possible op modes of SC and PASM. PDK behaves differently with SC Normal/Sport/Sport+ but PASM is just a separate system.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:44 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
I see no reason for PDK control issues with any possible op modes of SC and PASM. PDK behaves differently with SC Normal/Sport/Sport+ but PASM is just a separate system.
Everything is electrically connected and possibly processor connected so yes you may see no reason but in the real world **** happens even tho we see no reason for it. There are always reasons why these codes are thrown, and one reason is a series of unforeseen parameter that cause the code / glitch to be thrown even when thee is no real problem
Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by docdrs
Everything is electrically connected and possibly processor connected so yes you may see no reason but in the real world **** happens even tho we see no reason for it. There are always reasons why these codes are thrown, and one reason is a series of unforeseen parameter that cause the code / glitch to be thrown even when thee is no real problem
The OP will find out what the real culprit is. On the bus interconnection and system control... I just have greater confidence in Weissach than you do, I guess.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:32 AM
Jabbah
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update, the OPC think they have fixed the issue with a PDK readaptation / recalibration. I will see later when I get it back as they didn't seem to be able to reproduce it before so how they know it is fixed I'm not sure. PCGB said the videos showed incorrect behaviour so at least I know it is unusual. They have also given me the next (major) service for free in way of apology for 3 issues in the 8 weeks since I bought it which I'm quite happy with. Hopefully that will be it now.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jabbah
Quick update, the OPC think they have fixed the issue with a PDK readaptation / recalibration. I will see later when I get it back as they didn't seem to be able to reproduce it before so how they know it is fixed I'm not sure. PCGB said the videos showed incorrect behaviour so at least I know it is unusual. They have also given me the next (major) service for free in way of apology for 3 issues in the 8 weeks since I bought it which I'm quite happy with. Hopefully that will be it now.
Once you drive it for a week or so, please report back, will you?
Old 06-13-2017, 06:01 AM
Jabbah
AutoX

Got the car back a couple of weeks ago and even on the drive home it was obvious that nothing was fixed. Went for a long drive this weekend and it is probably worse than it was before. Either that or I am getting better at provoking it. They are going to take it back in at some point so I will have to make sure I take one of their techs out and demonstrate the issue and then get them to recreate it whilst I am in the car.

Something else I've noticed is that in manual mode if you're cruising with say 5% throttle and then quickly go to say 15% throttle the revs will jump up ~150rpm and then go back 100rpm and then increase normally as the car accelerates. After doing that it makes it even more likely to do the fluctuating rpm behaviour. Also oil needs to be fully up to temp, when cold it is much more difficult to provoke.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:48 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Does it do this whether you are driving in automatic, sport , sport plus and manual? Or does it just occur in one of the modes?
Old 06-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Jabbah
AutoX

Happens in all modes, just easier to do the quick bit of throttle in manual as it can kick down in auto.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:13 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Happens in all modes, just easier to do the quick bit of throttle in manual as it can kick down in auto.
Time for Porsche to replace the whole PDK...not fair to you for their inability to rectify the issue. You have patience well above what should be granted, as for me, I would already be in the GM's grill to have him fix this to my satisfaction. Just think of what the CarFax will have on it...multiple entries for transmission related items spaced close together. Certainly would give me pause to even look further into buying the car.

Sometimes one must take the offensive role in order to force the resolution. Dealers will string you out until you push back.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:36 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Wow , I just watched the video and was amazed how much movement there is in the steering column and wheel up and down relative to the dash , as the camera stayed still on the dial . Is that normal? I need to take mine for a drive.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:14 AM
Jabbah
AutoX

The video is stabilised on the dials to make it easier to see the issue as in the original the dials were shaking all over.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:53 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

The video is stabilised on the dials to make it easier to see the issue as in the original the dials were shaking all over.
I have a 997.2 C4S. I have never experienced that problem...
I'm not a fan of the newest PDK update for our cars outside of sport / sport plus mode though...seems to always want to get in the lowest gear almost bogging the engine.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:27 AM
Jabbah
AutoX

Update: The OPC have washed their hands of it so I need to start taking it through the Porsche GB customer services / complaints department. I found a couple of other people with the same issue. One with a GT3 had to take it almost to the top of Porsche GB before they replaced the PDK under warranty.

On a long drive yesterday it was pretty noticeable in manual mode. Definitely felt worse. I'll update again once I have taken it through the tortuous process of Porsche GB customer services...
Old 05-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 731 Posts

Looking at the post dates ... you've been living with this for a year!!! Good luck getting the replacement. Keep reporting please.

Quick Reply: PDK Revs Fluctuating