Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seriously someone make a video of them removing the heat shield without taking off the mufflers.

When I changed my spark plugs I removed EVERYTHING. Bumper, bumper bar (aluminum), mufflers.

If I hadn't I have no idea how i'd have enough space to fit any tools in there.

Please those of you who do this without removing mufflers, please show me a video.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:41 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
You can do it with the mufflers installed. In fact, the 997 Workshop Manual doesn't call for the removal of the mufflers, only the rear wheels. I suggest you do it with the mufflers installed and get yourself a really good set of universal adapters and extensions. If you need the extra space to get the plugs out then it is acceptable to remove the muffler. A good mechanic can do it with the mufflers installed.
Th OP is inquiring about a 997.2. You have a 997.1. On the .2 with the newer more powerful direct injection NA engine the mufflers need to be removed unless your a contortioning leprechaun with magical tools. At least the 3.8 not sure about 3.6
Old 05-12-2017, 11:12 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
Th OP is inquiring about a 997.2. You have a 997.1. On the .2 with the newer more powerful direct injection NA engine the mufflers need to be removed unless your a contortioning leprechaun with magical tools. At least the 3.8 not sure about 3.6
I have read that there the exceptional, the talented, and the tiny-handed who can do this.... but, IMO, if you are an amateur armed only with a floor jack or two, plan on removing the bumper and mufflers.... 996, 997.1, 997.2. The end result will be quicker and easier. This is definitely a satisfying and cost effective DIY, but why plan on having trouble?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-12-2017, 11:20 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Bumper removal will make it easier to manipulate and get the muffler with exhaust tips on off and out of the car , especially for the the first time you do it, as well as give you more room to work with. But you can wiggle the mufflers out with the bumper on and have plenty of room to work. And as Bruce said , it is satisfying. The diy above is an excellent reference
Old 05-29-2017, 04:12 AM
JPA1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After having cursed the whole afternoon with my head below my 997.1 C4S, I understand why the practice is a bit more challenging that the theory or the books...You must have the PERFECT tools otherwise it will be a disaster... Taking off the heat shield was easy, in retrospect, compared to taking out the Beru plugs, as they are longer than the space available between the plugs cover and the muffler...especially the ones closer to the bumper, and you need to work your way from front to back... then for the plugs themselves, you need to have the perfect extension length, otherwise there won't be enough space to work...And for the torque, well, hand feeling of what 60Nm is...But yes, eventually it can be done...Is it worth it? 6 plugs cost me 37.50$, and my shop (not Porsche) wanted 620$... ( I guess this meant that they would remove the muffler and bumper, unlike me...) ...so depending on how you value your time, it can be worth an (rainy) afternoon...maybe... Not counting the mood swings and half cut fingers of course...
Old 05-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,162 Likes on 3,927 Posts

Originally Posted by JPA1
After having cursed the whole afternoon with my head below my 997.1 C4S, I understand why the practice is a bit more challenging that the theory or the books...You must have the PERFECT tools otherwise it will be a disaster... Taking off the heat shield was easy, in retrospect, compared to taking out the Beru plugs, as they are longer than the space available between the plugs cover and the muffler...especially the ones closer to the bumper, and you need to work your way from front to back... then for the plugs themselves, you need to have the perfect extension length, otherwise there won't be enough space to work...And for the torque, well, hand feeling of what 60Nm is...But yes, eventually it can be done...Is it worth it? 6 plugs cost me 37.50$, and my shop (not Porsche) wanted 620$... ( I guess this meant that they would remove the muffler and bumper, unlike me...) ...so depending on how you value your time, it can be worth an (rainy) afternoon...maybe... Not counting the mood swings and half cut fingers of course...
I find on the .1 that the best solution for plug removal is not a single extension, but two shorter extensions. You slide the socket with 1 short extension mounted into the plug access hole and while gripping it with your fingers, before it's in too far, you add the 2nd short extension, then advance to the plug. Removal is the opposite. A set of wobble extensions is very handy for all kinds of work, including this type. The good wobble extensions (like my GearWrench ones) have kind of a ball end on them so in the first position you can articulate the extension relative to the socket and if pressed in further can lock it staight like a standard extension. I bought mine from Amazon and got all three sets - 1/4", 3/8", & 1/2".
Old 05-30-2017, 11:01 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

I've done the plugs on my .1 twice, and each time I removed the heat shields but not the bumper or mufflers. But I do remove the headers. I use some really small socket sets. I got one set from a bike repair kit, meant to fit into a saddle pack.

Last edited by Jack667; 05-30-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Spark plug replacement