Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty and IMS - Does this cover it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 12:21 PM
313green
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty and IMS - Does this cover it?

here's what's listed under a powertrain warranty from Fidelity. would this confirm that IMS bearing is covered as well as any subsequent engine damage? thx for the help. Im not clear on the specific parts. It does say "bearings".

ENGINE
Engine block and cylinder heads and all internally lubricated parts including pistons, piston rings, pins and cylinder sleeves; crankshaft, pulley, main bearings, caps and bolts; connecting rods, rod bearings, caps and bolts; camshaft(s), camshaft bearings, buttons and plugs; timing gears, chain or belt, and tensioner; rocker arms, rocker arm pivots, shafts and bushings; intake and exhaust valves, springs, guides, adjusters, retainers and seats; pushrods and lifters; intake manifold; exhaust manifolds; balance shaft; water pump; fuel pump; thermostat; oil pump, cover, gears, pressure relief valve and screen; rotor housing, rotors, shims and silent shaft; all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; turbocharger/supercharger assembly including boost valve, boost pressure control, wastegate, recirculation and blow off valve; seals and gaskets.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:24 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

All internally lubricated parts
Old 05-08-2017, 01:27 PM
313green
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thx

What i thought. Just wanted to hear someone else say it
Old 05-08-2017, 02:55 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

Is an IMS internally lubricated if there is a seal designed to prevent oil from entering? <devil's advocate>
Old 05-08-2017, 03:44 PM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Is an IMS internally lubricated if there is a seal designed to prevent oil from entering? <devil's advocate>
Yep. I tried to get written clarification that the IMS bearing - although is "sealed" and is NOT specifically listed as covered and technically could be argues is NOT internally lubricated - WAS covered under the warranty. I even had the PNA dealer attempt to get something in writing.

We were both told it was covered, and the legalese in the document was all we would get.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:52 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

All internally lubricated parts
The IMS is not lubricated.....so I'm betting a lawyer for any warranty company claim would try their best to get out of paying for a 25K engine rebuild or replacement. That's what they get paid to do.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:31 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

The intermediate shaft is internal, I believe it is lubricated. The IMS bearing is a bearing and lubricated as we all know a bearing without lubrication is going to heat up and become toast in short order. One could argue the seal is to keep the lubrication internal otherwise all the oil would leak out. Just because they fail due to poor lubrication and being overloaded does not mean they do not have any lubrication. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Well it depends on what internally lubrucated means, the IMS is sealed and not lubrucated by the engine coolant or oiling system. So it's lubrication is internal to itself and a swarmy lawyer will try to point this out and deny a claim.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:40 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

You could also argue its an internal fastener for the ims , holding it in place. I think the judge would rule for you. Its a component inside the engine. They didnt specifically exclude it. There is lubrication internal to the ims bearing.and it failed. Are you saying they made the engine with a bearing that had/ has no lubrication at all? A dry bearing?
Old 05-09-2017, 12:44 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by 313green
here's what's listed under a powertrain warranty from Fidelity. would this confirm that IMS bearing is covered as well as any subsequent engine damage? thx for the help. Im not clear on the specific parts. It does say "bearings".

ENGINE
Engine block and cylinder heads and all internally lubricated parts including pistons, piston rings, pins and cylinder sleeves; crankshaft, pulley, main bearings, caps and bolts; connecting rods, rod bearings, caps and bolts; camshaft(s), camshaft bearings, buttons and plugs; timing gears, chain or belt, and tensioner; rocker arms, rocker arm pivots, shafts and bushings; intake and exhaust valves, springs, guides, adjusters, retainers and seats; pushrods and lifters; intake manifold; exhaust manifolds; balance shaft; water pump; fuel pump; thermostat; oil pump, cover, gears, pressure relief valve and screen; rotor housing, rotors, shims and silent shaft; all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; turbocharger/supercharger assembly including boost valve, boost pressure control, wastegate, recirculation and blow off valve; seals and gaskets.
Is that the only powertrain policy they offer? No exclusionary option?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:50 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Call them and ask. Maybe the IMSB is covered, but what about the collateral damage that grenades your engine. Ask about that too...
Old 05-09-2017, 01:32 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,966 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Fidelity also offers an exclusionary plan, thats what I would go with. They essentially list what is not covered. Much safer when dealing with the IMS bearing, that way they can't pick and choose what to cover and what not to cover. I have the policy on my S4 and it has been great. It is an actual Audi warranty, underwritten by Fidelity. But the sane one you are talking about.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:17 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

The IMS is lubricated from the factory (the factory wouldn't put a dry sealed bearing in there). The problem, some propose is that over time the lubrication comes out and it lacks the necessary (it still isn't bone dry, but there isn't enough grease or engine lubricant in the bearing) which causes it to fail. In other words, it is a lubrication failure. If the technicality other people are speaking of would exempt the warrentee, I am sure lots of other cars have some other way of getting out of it as well.

When my VANOS went bad in my E46 M3, someone try to scare me and say that although the warranty reads that it covers the valve train, it doesn't say anywhere that it covers a "VANOS" system. He didn't get it when I tried to explain that the VANOS is a term used by BMW, it is part of the variable valve system. Needless to say, the $6,000 fix was covered.

Quick Reply: Warranty and IMS - Does this cover it?