Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh God...Weird ticking sound when in neutral...997.2 C2S

Old 05-06-2017, 10:39 PM
And88
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses -

I'm aware of the general valve tick / dfi ticking which I know is part of the 9A1 charm - that's always been there, as expected.

It's the intermittent clicking / tapping that I get when the car's oil temp is just over 200 deg that I'm talking about. Doesn't seem to follow the general rhythm of the motor.

It is a bit hard to hear in the clip (only at the beginning) I uploaded so I'm trying to find a better way to isolate the sound.

Even still, I understand it could be nothing, but it's a bit strange.

BTW - looked through the invoice from Monday's trans oil swap - I had asked for PTX, they said they had it - I looked up the part number and looks like they put Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 in..Part number is 999-917-546-00 which actually shows up as differential oil on google - though I think it's the same stuff as some oem trans fluids. Charged me $63/quart for it. Shifting has actually been worse than before, and I thought PTX just hadn't worked for me.

Following up tomorrow with the shop, very disappointing to say the least.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:21 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by And88
BTW - looked through the invoice from Monday's trans oil swap - I had asked for PTX, they said they had it - I looked up the part number and looks like they put Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 in..Part number is 999-917-546-00 which actually shows up as differential oil on google - though I think it's the same stuff as some oem trans fluids. Charged me $63/quart for it. Shifting has actually been worse than before, and I thought PTX just hadn't worked for me.

Following up tomorrow with the shop, very disappointing to say the least.
Yes, I would be a disappointed too. As I noted in my PTX thread below, I asked my Indy for PTX.... he could not get it quickly so he then gets his parts from one of two local Porsche dealerships. Both said they don't use it, but always put in Delvac. I am really surprised by this for two reasons:

1) Our manuals specifically state PTX which is a different formulation from Delvac
2) Our dealers treat us like we are dopes and they know better.

PTX thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-gear-oil.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-07-2017, 12:17 AM
Ducati_John
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed, that probably means it's in the transmission. If it's only when in neutral, I think that means it would be something on the input shaft. Beyond that, I've never been inside the transmission on mine so I don't what could be making that noise. As someone else said, it doesn't sound like a bearing.

If they put in the wrong oil, maybe that's the cause of the noise. Or maybe they got the level wrong and that's causing something weird to happen. I'd make them put PTX in if that's what you paid and asked for. Maybe order it yourself and bring it in. I like it in mine.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:27 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am amazed at how everyone spends tens of thousands of dollars to buy their cars, and then go into cardiac arrest when they hear the slightest noise. But instead of taking immediate action to find out what it is, they spend days posting questions and video here, only to get as many different theories as their are Porsches. If you are really concerned about your car then spend a couple of hundred or so and have a certified Porsche Tech actually see the car and if something is wrong, let them fix it. I know people who died of cancer for the same stupid reasons. They spent hours and hours scouring the internet and talking to their friends. For one of them, by the time they saw a doctor it was too late and they were dead in two weeks.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
I am amazed at how everyone spends tens of thousands of dollars to buy their cars, and then go into cardiac arrest when they hear the slightest noise. But instead of taking immediate action to find out what it is, they spend days posting questions and video here, only to get as many different theories as their are Porsches. If you are really concerned about your car then spend a couple of hundred or so and have a certified Porsche Tech actually see the car and if something is wrong, let them fix it. I know people who died of cancer for the same stupid reasons. They spent hours and hours scouring the internet and talking to their friends. For one of them, by the time they saw a doctor it was too late and they were dead in two weeks.
This thread just got REAL.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

The car sounds normal to me. I've owned two. Did you change the oil? If so, what grade did you use?

If anything, the valve trail clatter sounds a little pronounced, which isn't indicative of a problem, but only indicative of lighter weight oil.

I'd change your oil to a good, 20w-50, which will quiet the clatter and in my opinion, be better for the engine. If you really want this thread to get real...I highly recommend Joe Gibbs DT 40 as the only acceptable oil. 😂

20w-50 of your choice. Chill out and try to enjoy the car. I totally get the paranoia. It's caused by this damn forum. I once spent 45 minutes, somewhere in Texas, listening intently to my motor while meditating on the engine oil pressure gauge, fearing a scored bore and D chunk failure in my just purchased 997.1. Then, I said 'this is fu$@&8g ridiculous', got in the car and enjoyed the hell out of the next two days of driving the car to Michigan.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,137 Likes on 3,910 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmistry
The car sounds normal to me. I've owned two. Did you change the oil? If so, what grade did you use?

If anything, the valve trail clatter sounds a little pronounced, which isn't indicative of a problem, but only indicative of lighter weight oil.

I'd change your oil to a good, 20w-50, which will quiet the clatter and in my opinion, be better for the engine. If you really want this thread to get real...I highly recommend Joe Gibbs DT 40 as the only acceptable oil. ��

20w-50 of your choice. Chill out and try to enjoy the car. I totally get the paranoia. It's caused by this damn forum. I once spent 45 minutes, somewhere in Texas, listening intently to my motor while meditating on the engine oil pressure gauge, fearing a scored bore and D chunk failure in my just purchased 997.1. Then, I said 'this is fu$@&8g ridiculous', got in the car and enjoyed the hell out of the next two days of driving the car to Michigan.
Tough to know whether you're serious or not, but DT40 is a 5W/40 weight oil, which is a good choice for this motor. and I run that in both my 997s. There's also a DT50 grade which is a 15W/50 weight and I run that in my 914 and 928, but it's too heavy to run in a 997 and 20W/50 is really too heavy, even during warm summer months. Might make the motor quieter temporarily, that is until the internal engine wear causes piston slap, valvetrain noise and other maladies from lack of start up lubrication.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:10 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Tough to know whether you're serious or not, but DT40 is a 5W/40 weight oil, which is a good choice for this motor. and I run that in both my 997s. There's also a DT50 grade which is a 15W/50 weight and I run that in my 914 and 928, but it's too heavy to run in a 997 and 20W/50 is really too heavy, even during warm summer months. Might make the motor quieter temporarily, that is until the internal engine wear causes piston slap, valvetrain noise and other maladies from lack of start up lubrication.
My mistake. Wasn't necessarily joking on the DT40/ 5w-40. I was confusing w/ my 964, which gets 20w-50.

Thx for addressing it/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oh God...Weird ticking sound when in neutral...997.2 C2S