Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feedback from ppl who came from e9x M3

Old 04-30-2017, 09:02 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback from ppl who came from e9x M3

I have to imagine there are a lot of ppl who've come to the 997 from an e9x M, idk why but it seems like a very natural progression, which I always kind of imagined for myself.

I'd love to get some feedback, comparisons from folks about all around differences. My E90 M is a very capable car, in fact I'd argue with a better set of shocks, head to head on the track the differences wouldn't be that big. In fact pretty sure in NASA an E90 M and 997 would both be GTS 4 or 5 cars depending on setups.

Anyhow, I'm just curious about all around differences, daily driving, city driving, performance (care less about acceleration, more handleing)...

I'm considering a 997 as I've always wanted a 911, I'm sick of not having a 3rd peddle, and well I'm 36 going through divorce and to be totally honest it's a bit more of a 25yr old girl chick magnet then a 4 door m3 😂.

Looking at ONLY RWD NA coupes. This will be a DD that may occasionally see track time if I'm instructing and don't want to bring my race car to the track (Honda S2000). Likely to drive yr round in the snow, but may not as I can use my burb... (may miss driving m3 in the snow)

Thanks!!!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:44 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
I have to imagine there are a lot of ppl who've come to the 997 from an e9x M, idk why but it seems like a very natural progression, which I always kind of imagined for myself.

I'd love to get some feedback, comparisons from folks about all around differences. My E90 M is a very capable car, in fact I'd argue with a better set of shocks, head to head on the track the differences wouldn't be that big. In fact pretty sure in NASA an E90 M and 997 would both be GTS 4 or 5 cars depending on setups.

Anyhow, I'm just curious about all around differences, daily driving, city driving, performance (care less about acceleration, more handleing)...

I'm considering a 997 as I've always wanted a 911, I'm sick of not having a 3rd peddle, and well I'm 36 going through divorce and to be totally honest it's a bit more of a 25yr old girl chick magnet then a 4 door m3 ��.

Looking at ONLY RWD NA coupes. This will be a DD that may occasionally see track time if I'm instructing and don't want to bring my race car to the track (Honda S2000). Likely to drive yr round in the snow, but may not as I can use my burb... (may miss driving m3 in the snow)

Thanks!!!
The part about the 25 year olds and going through a divorce sealed the deal for me.

In 2004, albeit I already had all the cars before the divorce, I was 37, going through a separation and hooked up with the most amazing looking 25 year old nurse who just loved my 2004 996 twin turbo cab . . . and my 360 CS, Murci, 90 Ruf and etc. . . . At times, I felt like she liked the car better than I. She was not close to marriage material, but it was totally fine by me. She was just what the doctor ordered at the time and a few others younger than her came along until settling down with and marrying my 13 year younger Russian hottie that incidentally had her own Gallardo Snyder when we met. Post divorce life was great!

RE: Performance

Know nothing about the E90, but I purchased an F80 ZCP in December 2016. This was my first Bimmer and I recently traded it on a GTC Speed. The F80 ZCP, however, was amazing for an affordable 4 door sports sedan. A NA non-GT3 997 feels very lethargic straight line and not as crisp or well planted through the twisties.

Not sure how the E90 compares with the F80 performance wise, but you really feel the 997s age when compared to the F90 ZCP. Except for seating position, the 997 feels like the GT cruiser and the F80 feels like the sports car when pushed hard.

That said, the 997 has the sports car look, seating position and sound. Great way to economically scratch the middle age itch and pick up young, hot hos with slightly mixed up values. 997s are super easy daily drivers and great in all weather including winter weather.

Lol, I super highly recommend a 997 or newer if going through a divorce at 36, especially if divorce not your fault (revenge factor) and you have any concerns about still having it at 36. I was dating hotties down to 20 in '04 when going though separation and ultimately divorce at 37 and have to say it was super good therapy.

Last edited by Doug H; 04-30-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:26 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, so funny man! I mean the way I see it with the women, I'm actually doing pretty good now in the dating world, but this could certainly add to it �� (Again w the wrong women, which I'm fine w for now). Plus the fact that I'm a racer kinda gives me a good excuse to why I need one.

I'm interested in diving deeper into your comment about GT cruiser vs sports car. I'd almost feel it was the opposite, as a lot of newer technology I feel takes away from the rawness of older sports cars...
Old 04-30-2017, 11:35 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by josserman
Haha, so funny man! I mean the way I see it with the women, I'm actually doing pretty good now in the dating world, but this could certainly add to it �� (Again w the wrong women, which I'm fine w for now). Plus the fact that I'm a racer kinda gives me a good excuse to why I need one.

I'm interested in diving deeper into your comment about GT cruiser vs sports car. I'd almost feel it was the opposite, as a lot of newer technology I feel takes away from the rawness of older sports cars...
I raced also (club raced Porsches from early 80s, karts in 70s, various open wheel in 90s and 200s, and had several GT3 cup and Ferrari Challenge cars). I am pretty in tune with car capabilities.

The F80 ZCP (know nothing about non-ZCP) annoyed me at first due to seating position and feel as my daily drivers from 89ish through 2015 were new turbos ever 2 to 4 years. The M3 felt like driving a 4X4 to me at first, but man that car had great limits and was a joy to drive once I got used to it.

I purchased a CPO 2012 997.2 cab to split daily driving duties with the F80 a week or so after getting the F80. It felt lethargic and soft. Traded both the 997.2 and the F80 a couple of weeks ago for the Bentley Speed. The 997.2 just did not do it for me any more performance wise as newer cars have gotten so good. That said, I love the looks of the 997 better than any Bimmer so it would be a preferred car for me for cruising and just looking good.

Try and it and see what you think. Every enthusiasts should have at least one 911 and you won't lose much $$$ getting in and back out of a 997 if you decide to get something else. 911s are just super practical, great daily driver sports cars, but the NAs performance wise have never been earth shattering even when new, especially when a bit dated . . . except the 991.2s with forced induction may be changing all of that base 911 performance stuff.

Last edited by Doug H; 04-30-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:05 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Former E90 335i dude here - not M3 but in the same ballpark. As far as daily driver duty is concerned, the E9x is better. It's roomier, quieter, had a great interior & a great stereo and had that perfect balance between ride and handling. BMW did a great job with that car and IMHO they lost the magic when they came out with the F3x/F8x. The 997 is way stiffer, noisier, squeaks/rattles and scrapes driveways really easily in comparison. Those are the daily driver demerits. On the positive side, it's phenomenal when you get it out on a twisty road or a track. Something about the howl of the flat-6. It's not the fastest car out there anymore but the overall end user experience is that of a proper sports car. You won't be disappointed.

As for driving it in snow? I'm in SoCal. That doesn't compute
Old 04-30-2017, 01:39 PM
tdporsche911
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Came from an e46 m3 to a 997.2 Carrera. M3 more practical but 911 more fun to drive and more of a head turner.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:44 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Most women I know/met like my e92 M3 more than my 997 carrera S. They thought it was more "masculine" and fit me better.

I think the porsche is more beautiful so I don't really care what they think.

If you want a gold-digger car on the cheap to turn heads, get a red or orange used gallardo or audi R8.

Nothing turns their heads like the mid-engine ostentatious machines.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:06 PM
alexisthemovie
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I am pretty certain the E90/92 M3 is better objectively than the 911. I have an S2000 track car as well and will be picking up a 997.1 S this week. Was cross shopping E92 M3, but it looks like their values are dropping and want to see them stabilize first before I pick one up.

You can get a low mileage 2011 M3 for the price of a high mileage base 05 Carrera. DCT cars seem to be even cheaper than 6 speed manual whereas 09 C2 with PDK is still low 40's. Still, the M3 is faster, interior is better, infotainment system is better, is more practical, etc. Exhaust / engine noise are arguably a wash.

911 is a bit flashy, which I don't mind. It just simply came down to 911 value holding strong and I think you could drive one "for free" for the next 1-2 years.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
Most women I know/met like my e92 M3 more than my 997 carrera S. They thought it was more "masculine" and fit me better.

I think the porsche is more beautiful so I don't really care what they think.

If you want a gold-digger car on the cheap to turn heads, get a red or orange used gallardo or audi R8.

Nothing turns their heads like the mid-engine ostentatious machines.
There may be truth to this. My wife does not like the way a 911 looks, even my 991 GT3 even though she knows a 911 is my favorite car and tried to be nice about it. . . her weekend car is Gallardo spyder she has had since new and she loves the R8 . . . She now wants a McLaren.

Crap, even her Gallardo is orange . . . G'diggn beoatch.
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2017, 04:28 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

yeah, if I was searching for a gold digger car thats fun i'd go used R8, preferably in red with 6 speed.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:31 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

You're going to spend 45k on a 997 to get girls? Save your money and book a flight to Amsterdam...
Old 04-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Para82
You're going to spend 45k on a 997 to get girls? Save your money and book a flight to Amsterdam...
Amsterdam . . . That place is depressing and the chicks are disgusting. Thailand . . . a week in Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin, Krabbi, Koh Samui or even Bangkok. Cheap and girls are smoking hot. Just watch out for the super hot Russians hanging around the beaches. They will hustle harder than the Thai girls.

In all seriousness, Thailand is a lovely place with lovely poiple. Spent 6 months there in 08 and go back every year.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
yeah, if I was searching for a gold digger car thats fun i'd go used R8, preferably in red with 6 speed.
I am learning toward a 360 Spyder. Chicks dig Ferraris and 360 is super cheap right now. I am just not an Audi guy, but its about what chicks like.

Actually, a Bentley GT may be best or even a Range Rover. In fact, I could hook dude up with this mid $60k Bentley GT convertible and this car would be a chick magnet for the price:

http://www.musiccitymotorcars.com/us...DR33WX7C044592

or this GT coupe for mid $70k:

http://www.musiccitymotorcars.com/us...CR73W97C049379

And they have a LaFerrari if you really wanna get those girls hot . . .

Wife is finance manager here. Just ask for Alena if interested.

Last edited by Doug H; 04-30-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:07 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
but then again its about what chicks like.
Chicks like Civics that are in the "Stance game"......grown *** women like gentleman racers .............Phil
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2017, 05:10 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Amsterdam . . . That place is depressing and the chicks are disgusting. Thailand . . . a week in Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin, Krabbi, Koh Samui or even Bangkok. Cheap and girls are smoking hot. Just watch out for the super hot Russians hanging around the beaches. They will hustle harder than the Thai girls.

In all seriousness, Thailand is a lovely place with lovely poiple. Spent 6 months there in 08 and go back every year.
Thailand is amazing I agree, Pattaya is mostly Russian owned now - lots of mafia. Phuket has all kinds of criminal elements also Hells Angels, Mongols all sorts but still a nice island - Koh Samui is my favorite island much more low key. I had a penthouse apartment in Sathorn, Bangkok for a while great town I agree about the women my wife is from Bangkok

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Feedback from ppl who came from e9x M3