Sponsored by:

Does anyone face this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:58 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Does anyone face this problem?

I am considering an upgrade to a GT3 or a 12C (I know, very different cars) and have been tinkering with the idea for a while. Not sure if I even want to sell my car, but it may be a stretch to keep both...

The allure is something a bit more exotic and a bit more of an event since my car, while not really a garage queen, only sees a few thousand miles a year.

All that said, I don't know if having a 3 second 0-60 car will be more or less enjoyable than a ~4 second car. On public roads I can't get near my car's limits and I fear that driving an even more capable car may become LESS exciting for most drives I will do.

Does anyone here regret moving up to an even faster car? I never thought I would think this way but I almost fear getting too fast a car will be less exciting in 90% of my drives. If I lived in Germany I might not face this issue...

Anyone regret an upgrade past a certain performance point?

Going from manual to DCT is another thing that I fear would get old after a while.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 997.1 C2S and have been driving it as a daily for over a year. Recently I decided to get something with much better gas mileage that I can take to work. I ended up getting a 2011 Mini Cooper S with 6 spd. Even though it's a performance downgrade, I still enjoy the Mini Cooper for what it is. I think that at the end of the day you're not going to make much use of having large amounts of horsepower. What you have now is plenty fast and if you're looking for something different, try going out on test drives and see which car feels right for you.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 224 Posts

I would be torn between a 570GT (under 200k expect to be GT3 range in 2 years or less , ha McLaren resale sucks) and a 991.1 GT3 (under 150k) currently.
In the end of the day I would buy the GT3 because -better resale and build quality / large dealer network/proven track reliability..

I'm very much into DE now...(Porsche is really the best for that)

However I would be dreaming of this car every day
- caution NSFW car ****

myself - I was all over the 991.1 C4S but now I'm hunting for a 997.2 Turbo or Turbo S - 80K range - Saving money for one. Why? I like PDK and um 0-60 in 2.8 seconds - 10 sec 1/4 time and lovely 997 looks.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:23 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Speed and performance are mental issues only. No one can reach the limits of even an economy car on daily drives. It's the "I know mine is faster than theirs when driven by a professional driver" that you like. You also have the delusion you are professional driver along with that thought.

That being said get a car that as you said, is an event every time you get in it. Then you won't regret it. If it takes a carbon fiber Italian than so be it (though you would be wrong because a driving a 911 is always an event).
Old 04-26-2017, 12:25 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 160 Posts

Does anyone here regret moving up to an even faster car? I never thought I would think this way but I almost fear getting too fast a car will be less exciting in 90% of my drives. If I lived in Germany I might not face this issue...
Go buy an liter superbike......that will get your speed need slated. Get a 1299S Ducati. or the nex 1000 GSXR or ZX-10.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (03-19-2021)
Old 04-26-2017, 12:36 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

My happiness window is a 1ooK car, purchased a few years old for half price.
I can't handle the fear and anger of myself... that car is too close to me, why has that car parked only 3 spaces away. That is still too close. Kids take off your shoes, and maybe socks. Put your socks back on, your toe nails are too long. You might scratch the leather.
I don't deserve nice things. So many voices.
But never stop dreaming.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:58 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Speed and performance are mental issues only. No one can reach the limits of even an economy car on daily drives. It's the "I know mine is faster than theirs when driven by a professional driver" that you like. You also have the delusion you are professional driver along with that thought.

That being said get a car that as you said, is an event every time you get in it. Then you won't regret it. If it takes a carbon fiber Italian than so be it (though you would be wrong because a driving a 911 is always an event).
unless you track it.. than its time to go all crazy
-track mine
Old 04-26-2017, 01:35 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
I am considering an upgrade to a GT3 or a 12C (I know, very different cars) and have been tinkering with the idea for a while. Not sure if I even want to sell my car, but it may be a stretch to keep both...

The allure is something a bit more exotic and a bit more of an event since my car, while not really a garage queen, only sees a few thousand miles a year.

All that said, I don't know if having a 3 second 0-60 car will be more or less enjoyable than a ~4 second car. On public roads I can't get near my car's limits and I fear that driving an even more capable car may become LESS exciting for most drives I will do.

Anyone regret an upgrade past a certain performance point?

Going from manual to DCT is another thing that I fear would get old after a while.
Just do it if finances isn't an issue, if you have to take out a 2nd mortgage for it than I would say no. You can't bury your money with you so enjoy it while you can.

My 997 is 520hp and 445lb/tq according to TPC's dynometer. I used to take it up the mountains but find myself doing that less and less due to police officers issuing tickets every half mile and traffic is getting worst and worst due to all the people moving here. Track days are getting less and less too, I have 3 small children who waits all week for daddy and mommy to take them to the zoo, amusement park, chuck e cheese, etc. on the weekends.

Personally, I have more fun driving the 981 Boxster S with the top down on a nice breezy morning or sunset in the afternoon. I've always been a roadster guy after purchasing my first one 12 years ago. The neutral handling of the Boxster S also makes it more fun in the twisties.

If you only put a few thousand miles on your car, I would go with another manual. DCT/PDK gets boring quick. My only wish for the Boxster S is that it's a MT. I made the mistake of thinking my wife will drive it. After a couple of days in the Boxster, I want to get back into the 997 so I can row through all the gears. If the Boxster was a MT, I think the 997 would only get driven once a week.

I am not a fan of the looks of the 12C, if it's one of the newer McLaren's like the 570 or 650 I would say go for the McLaren. The 997.2 GT3 gets my vote. Although I think the 991.1 GT3 looks the best aesthetically, just not a fan of PDK on a GT3, plus the 991.1 has a potential engine issues.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:18 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Appreciate all the responses and thoughts.

I like the way the 12C looks, especially in person, but the dealer network is tiny and I'm concerned about the servicing aspect of it...

Also, I really don't want to not have a Porsche... and frankly don't want to sell my car either.

I ask about the performance not because I will be maxing out speed on public roads (I don't/won't) but because if you do push the car even a bit, you start to get into the "red zone" much quicker, the faster the car is, and I already find my car to push me into that zone almost too quickly.

My BMW is a good bit slower so you feel you can push the car a bit more... similar I think to the logic behind the Subaru BRZ/Toyota FRS.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:20 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
My happiness window is a 1ooK car, purchased a few years old for half price.
I can't handle the fear and anger of myself... that car is too close to me, why has that car parked only 3 spaces away. That is still too close. Kids take off your shoes, and maybe socks. Put your socks back on, your toe nails are too long. You might scratch the leather.
I don't deserve nice things. So many voices.
But never stop dreaming.
That's the other "problem" I face... Not a real world problem of course, and I'll admit that, but I don't know how many times I'll need to scout out the roads before driving somewhere to make sure there is no gravel, potholes, or roadkill.

I'm surprised I drive my car anywhere given where I live actually...
Old 04-26-2017, 04:23 PM
AMGM5S8
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently test drove the 570gt and have to say it was a great car. I'm warming up to Mclaren lately as they seem to get better styling every year. The 570 drove great, lots of power but also drove it in traffic and it seemed an every day driver.

I've been looking to get another car and am looking at GT3 or a Ferrari California as I want just a bit more power. My buddy has a 458 speciale and 488 GTB and they are incredible but way out of my league.

So for now I'm still looking and test driving. I realize the GT3 and California are worlds apart but to me it's a toy and nothing else. I have 4 other daily cars and neither one would be for daily and I wouldn't be replacing anything.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:28 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

THIS IS A DEAL ON A NEW GT3 - wish I had the funds - a little over my limit lol
https://www.porscheoklahomacity.com/...03e140a18f.htm
Old 04-28-2017, 04:39 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
THIS IS A DEAL ON A NEW GT3 - wish I had the funds - a little over my limit lol
https://www.porscheoklahomacity.com/...03e140a18f.htm
That will go fast I bet, it's really nice

Quick Reply: Does anyone face this problem?