Sponsored by:

My 997.2 "quirks"

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:42 AM
keinmitleid
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question My 997.2 "quirks"

I've had the car for over a year now and was wondering if anyone else has these. (~42k on the odo).

-1st to second engagement during "aggressive" driving is hit or miss. Almost seems like you need to double clutch second. This can be...embarrassing under certain circumstances.

-1st engagement from neutral is also quirky (always when car is warmed up). Sometimes it will slide right in (that's what she said), other times you hit a wall and it won't go anywhere. Have to shift into another gear, then try again.

-Passenger window decides when one-touch works and doesn't. I have no idea about the rhyme or reason for this.

-Rain sensing wipers are the most annoying thing EVER. I hate it.

-Sport seats make almost a "clunk" noise when cornering or aggressive stopping. Not a loud clunk, but a noise and you can feel the seat shifting a little bit.

-Car can bog easily with the ac on and not in sport mode. Could be a driver issue.

-Clutch switch is clearly on its last legs, I have one ready to install just been lazy. I notice it's fine in winter, but once hot weather rolls around, the car can be a pain to start.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine's a .1, 65K miles.

-no
-yes, this is common
-no. Have you done the reboot?
-yes but only because after the engine is restarted you have to turn it off and back on again. I think it's a "safety feature" to prevent the driver from being startled if the wipers go on suddenly like when going under an underpass or the shade of a tree. My Merc says in the manual not to leave the wipers in AUTO mode when it's not raining...at least they give the owner the option.
-no but the power seat in my Vette rocks like that if it's not all the way down (forunately mine is). The drive components of the seat are really cheap and flimsy, it's a common issue. My Porsche doesn't do it, feels really solid. The Merc does it a little. They don't make em like they used to.
-no and I run the A/C pretty much all year
-no, not so far, and I have over 65K on it. My stoplight switch went nips up a while ago though.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:26 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by keinmitleid
I've had the car for over a year now and was wondering if anyone else has these. (~42k on the odo).

-1st to second engagement during "aggressive" driving is hit or miss. Almost seems like you need to double clutch second. This can be...embarrassing under certain circumstances.

-1st engagement from neutral is also quirky (always when car is warmed up). Sometimes it will slide right in (that's what she said), other times you hit a wall and it won't go anywhere. Have to shift into another gear, then try again.

+1 on this

-Passenger window decides when one-touch works and doesn't. I have no idea about the rhyme or reason for this.

+1 on this

-Rain sensing wipers are the most annoying thing EVER. I hate it.

-Sport seats make almost a "clunk" noise when cornering or aggressive stopping. Not a loud clunk, but a noise and you can feel the seat shifting a little bit.

-Car can bog easily with the ac on and not in sport mode. Could be a driver issue.

I always drive with sport mode on.. otherwise there seems to be a dead zone in the beginning of the gas pedal's travel

-Clutch switch is clearly on its last legs, I have one ready to install just been lazy. I notice it's fine in winter, but once hot weather rolls around, the car can be a pain to start.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a thread on fixing the 1st gear issue

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-gear-oil.html
Old 04-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I have an 05 997S and none of those quirks - this is what I have:

- Right seat vibrates a bit with no passenger (latch that moves it back and forth will make a slight noise at idle upon startup, I don't mind it though just the strength of the flat-six). From what I understand most do this.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:41 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Good idea for a post.

The only item I can report is neutral to first gear. It happens maybe 5% of the time and my approach is to release the clutch and depress it again (after putting shifter in neutral) and then re-trying. Works like a charm.

I had the exact same issue with my BMW and I use the exact same trick (really just a double clutch). Same frequency too. Not something to be concerned about.

As for sport mode, my car is manual and unless I am just puttering around town I always keep sport mode on so I can't really even comment :-)
Old 04-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

2009 C2S 110K miles

1st gear jam: see this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-gear-oil.html

2nd gear notchiness: Live with it.... it is a feature. My 2000 Boxster S had this also.

Passenger window one touch: if you are referring to UP, then it is a known feature that you must move the window to about the halfway up position for one touch to then work, no one really knows why but some blame the legal systems.

Rain sensing wipers: They are too slow for me and not always the way I want it.... get used to it

AC on / off: You may have a malfunction... the AC on/off is triggered by computer input and the computer is smart enough to disengage the AC under load to give you full power. On my car, I can not tell if it is off or on relating to power delivery.... Porsche got this one correct.

Seat shift: yep, get used to it.... so does my wife's Lexus. This can be mitigated by proper handling of the car... you decelerate before a turn to a speed less than required, apply gas, turn, and keep gas on through turn. You will find this pushes the mass of car, your body, and the seat more backwards than sideways and mitigates the load shift issue.... it is also the basic approach to performance driving on a track where you are trying to maximize exit speed, not speed through a turn... oh and it is a safer method through a turn. I am assuming your car was not modified by the previous owner and therefore, you may just have some loose bolts... pop the plastic covers on the rails.... check the four bolts, one at each rail end.

I have other quirks such as a power suckout / notch / drop / whatever at around 2700 RPM during mild load... assumed to be the vario lifter system engaging higher lift.

Other quirks include a host of electronic wierdness... such as my passenger window jolting down/up whenever I turn the ignition on.

I read in an issue of Christophorus magazin about 15 or so years ago, in an interview with a retiring senior Porsche engineer, where he noted Porsche wants a sportcar to be comfortable but still rough.... it is a sports car, not a luxury "look at me" vehicle. Frankly, I think the car is far too luxury and less sports car anymore.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-19-2017, 03:00 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

wait what? I thought all issues only came in 997.1 cars and the 997.2 had zero, none, nada therefor the better buy every time? (joke)
Old 04-19-2017, 03:44 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My car's quirks:

- Driver's seat squeaks whenever I make a right turn. If I move it back/forth/up/down using the motors, presumably to help spread the grease on the rails, it stops squeaking... at least for a little while.

- Sunroof creaks when going up a driveway or driving over some other ground contour that puts lateral twisting force on the chassis

- Passenger side electric rear-view mirror has a mind of its own. I don't think this issue is that uncommon. I've even seen some 991 owners complain about the same thing!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:46 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

My car puts down less than 385hp to the wheels. How do i get it to 500HP? LOL
Old 04-19-2017, 03:53 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

2009 997.2 C4 cab

My quirk is sometimes the passenger window cycles down/up, like it does when you open the door.

Problem is that it happens when I get in the drivers side. My best guess is my car is haunted.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:43 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
My car's quirks:

- Sunroof creaks when going up a driveway or driving over some other ground contour that puts lateral twisting force on the chassis
Tip: I use plumber's silicone grease on it. You can buy a little tab of it at any hardware/big box store. Open the roof and rub it into the rubber seal. If you don't have that, use any silicone-based dressing such as Armoral... but that doesn't last very long for me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-19-2017, 05:43 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 110K miles

Other quirks include a host of electronic wierdness... such as my passenger window jolting down/up whenever I turn the ignition on.
A buddy of mine who's owned a 987.1 for many years explained to me this weird behavior:

- When you open the door with the window rolled up, the power window rolls down a few mm to clear the seal... we all know this.

- When you close the door with the window rolled up, the power window will raise it back up a few mm to get a tight seal. Again, we all know this.

- If you wait a few minutes after closing the door without starting the car, you'll actually notice the power window activating again seemingly on its own, lowering the window just a smidge, even less than it does when you open the door. The thinking is that Porsche engineers didn't want the window glass pinching against the rubber seals with too much force for extended periods of time when the car isn't being used. This is why you hear your passenger window motor click when you start the car - it's actually rolling the window all the way back up again to get a tight seal just before you start driving.

I think...
Old 04-19-2017, 07:35 PM
BoomC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I changed my gear oil and that helped engagements.

Clutch switch has been changed twice.

I have heard that if you get stuck out, if you turn the ignition switch to Start for 39 seconds, it will bypass the clutch switch and start. I have not tried this.

Bricker
Old 04-19-2017, 08:06 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2012 GTS, 25K miles with he following quirks that I've discovered so far:

Passenger window one touch....works randomly even if it's halfway up.
Sunroof....one touch only works to open it, not for closing (I think this is by design but annoying nonetheless)

Creaks and rattling a plenty. Instrument panel creaks when going up my driveway at an angle. Rattles/vibrations when going highway speeds at certain speeds from sunroof, instrument panel and somewhere just above the rear window. Had it to Porsche to be addressed but I think that just added another rattle....

EDIT: Forgot to add the one that scared the crap out of me when I first got the car.... When reversing and turning your wheel to back out of the driveway or parking spot, the front end makes a chug, chug, chug sounds. My first guess was that something was horribly broken and chewing up some gears etc.. Apparently this is a common issue for the GTS due to track width and wide tires and totally normal...or so they tell me at Porsche....

Quick Reply: My 997.2 "quirks"