Sponsored by:

Need help with PPI!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 12:22 PM
thatg
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with PPI!!

Hey All I'm looking at an 09 c2s with 65k miles. The car already had a PPI performed by a dealer who was looking to buy the car out of state. They decided not to buy the car after the PPI was performed. These are the findings of the car.

The tensioner belt was making noise
The rear wheels have curb marks, right front wheel has slight bend on inner lip
Rock chips on front bumper
There was paint work performed on the front bumper/hood/fenders
The cigarette lighter does not work

PSM O4O1
PART NUMBER(S): 99761810912
1 Fault(s) Present
4802 Undervoltage

POSOP/AIRBAG 0104
PART NUMBER(S): 99761821708
2 Fault(s) Present
C150 Communication DME control module
C152 Communication PSM control module

nmax for range 1 118 1439.89 h
nmax for range 2 0
nmax for range 3 0
nmax for range 4 0
nmax for range 5 0
nmax for range 6 0
operating hours counter 2158.5h
throttle potentiometer 1 voltage at lower stop .05

The seller has told me the dealer backed out of buying the car because of the paint work. I'm not familiar with these codes or how to read the Engine data. I was wondering if I could lean on you folks for your expertise to help me decipher some of this data. I may have to fly there to look at the car myself and see what the paint looks like to my eyes in person before I pull the trigger. Or perhaps have my own inspection done on the car.

Are there particular things that go wrong on the 997.2 that I should be looking out for? Do these results scare anyone off the car? It has no accidents reported clean carfax. Is it likely that someone walked from the car just because of the paint work? Thanks for any help!

Last edited by thatg; 04-17-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

All I can offer is that the DME report looks good (if accurate for this car).
Old 04-17-2017, 12:37 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

at 65K miles, the hood and bumper will be chipped up. A spray would not bother me.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Double_J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Key question is why was it painted? Bumper, hood, and fender work implies an accident. Carfax isn't known to be the most accurate data source out there.

The dealer could have walked away because of the paint work but take notice their lead. They either knew something you don't about the reason why the paint work was necessary, or they felt that the extensive paint work was enough to drive down the value of the car such that it would be a sales risk. Doesn't necessarily mean that you shouldn't buy it, but you should make sure that you're aware of the issue and have priced it in accordingly.

I wouldn't necessarily buy it based on somebody else's PPI unless you can actually talk to the mechanic who did the inspection.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:48 PM
thatg
Track Day

Originally Posted by Double_J
Key question is why was it painted? Bumper, hood, and fender work implies an accident. Carfax isn't known to be the most accurate data source out there.

The dealer could have walked away because of the paint work but take notice their lead. They either knew something you don't about the reason why the paint work was necessary, or they felt that the extensive paint work was enough to drive down the value of the car such that it would be a sales risk. Doesn't necessarily mean that you shouldn't buy it, but you should make sure that you're aware of the issue and have priced it in accordingly.

I wouldn't necessarily buy it based on somebody else's PPI unless you can actually talk to the mechanic who did the inspection.
I called in this morning and unfortunately they told me the ppi was paid for by the dealer and they are only willing to discuss the findings with the buyer of the inspection.

It's a $100 flight for me to get out there and check out the car but I'm not sure I'd know what to look for apart from that the paint matches. Is the only real issue to watch out for on the 997.2 the bore scoring? What are the signs that a car could potentially have that issue?
Old 04-17-2017, 12:48 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

I wouldn't run from the vehicle. What's the asking price? Sounds like it has $1500 or so of fixing needed.

Personally unless you have a copy of the PPI and trust it, I would feel better having it done at a recommended shop. I had mine done prior to me traveling and then drove it for a more in depth inspection of dropping the pan, scoping, dme, etc.

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:51 PM
thatg
Track Day

Originally Posted by Double_J

Originally Posted by Kellen
I wouldn't run from the vehicle. What's the asking price? Sounds like it has $1500 or so of fixing needed.

Personally unless you have a copy of the PPI and trust it, I would feel better having it done at a recommended shop. I had mine done prior to me traveling and then drove it for a more in depth inspection of dropping the pan, scoping, dme, etc.

Good luck.
I have a copy, everything else checks out according to the report. They car is right around $40,000. the only option it really has is Sport chrono but thats fine with me.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:17 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My car has painted bumper, hood and fenders but it is accident free. First owner was Porsche AG (employee) and when they sell these cars after 12 months they usually get repainted in order to look like new, i.e. no chips.

As far as the DTCs are concerned, if they are sporadic then no problem. If they are static, i.e. reappear after deletion, then you need to research the cause.

All in all, I dont see any major issues with the car.

Any chance you are able to reach the dealer that didnt buy it?

Regards

CF

Quick Reply: Need help with PPI!!