Sponsored by:

Like having a bullseye on my back

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 05:41 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Like having a bullseye on my back

So today was the first day of driving the 997 after winter hibernation. Got my newly refinished wheels in the car, looking sharp I think, and newly wrapped steering wheel and Numeric shifter in too. Long day at work, and then immediately afterwards, had to head to the local rec centre to man our firm's trade show booth. I've got Sport mode on, PSE is in the louder mode, but really it's not that loud.

I pull into the parking lot, actually the access/slip road portion of the lot, which is separated from the parking lot proper by concrete curbs. As I downshift, I naturally do a slight throttle blip to rev match. I do this so often it's unconscious, even after 5 months out of the car and driving an automatic transmission car over the winter. I'm doing maybe 40-50kmh immediately before pulling into this slip road.

Next thing I know, a peace officer is yelling at me, so I stop and open the window. He says my throttle blip was 'unnecessary', he 'won't have sports cars spitting flames' in the area, and threatens to write me up a ticket for disturbing the peace. In my head I'm thinking 'WTF?' So I tell him I'm rev matching, he says 'no you weren't, you increased the revs', and I think to myself again 'okay, you missed the point, I never denied that, I said I was matching the revs' but I figure I don't want to waste any more time with this meathead so I just placate him and basically say 'okay, whatever'.

I swear, I think the blip brought the revs up to maybe 3,000, it's not like I was standing on the limiter like a Lambo at a car meet or YouTube video hoping to spit flames. In fact, it'd be cool if the car spit flames but I don't think that's gonna happen. Guaranteed the kids at the nearby skate park couldn't give a ****, and I really doubt anyone in the parking lot was that concerned, as the lot was crowded and I don't think the sound carried that far, so I don't see the 'disturbing the peace' issue. In reality, by stopping me and causing cars behind me to wait, he was the one disturbing the peace in my mind!

Anyways had to vent. It's not the first time and won't be the last time someone gets pissy over the car. The ironic bit is that just beforehand, I saw a guy in an R33 GTR giving it after likely leaving the same parking lot, or at least was in the vicinity. It's dick power trips like these that give police a bad rep I think. Just yesterday, a client was telling me how he once got a ticket on his motorcycle because he waved/saluted the cop on traffic duty. Geez!

Picture of the car earlier in the day before my mood was soured.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Saaboteur; 04-10-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:06 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Canaduh! Down here we just shoot you unless there are 5 of your friends filming from cell phones. If its Oakland, the Po Po just looks the other way like a dog owner who's pooch is pooing on a neighbors lawn....IE a Poostraction.

Last ticket I got was in a rented Jag XKR with the wife through the FL Keys. I was easily double the posted limit. I was laughing so hard when the LE walked up he thought I was high on the krunk. Wife told him the only time I laugh was when Im drunk and on meth. Now all three of us are laughing, her in the rental, me and the LE back by his car. Through tears, I kind of explain I was speeding but safe for road conditions (70 in a 35, dry roads, light traffic sober bla bla bla) and my wife is a sadist. He runs my license (clean) and gives me a ticket for 1 MPH over.

He says 'pay it or dont, but show it to your wife!' Big mouth (wife) couldnt believe I got off with a 1 MPH over posted ticket. He never filed it with the court house but I fed Exed a copy of the ticket, check for the fine and proof of completion of traffic school just to be safe. The rest of the vacation, I wife said I could get away with murder. He did me a solid.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Silly Canadians. Cop's brain hasn't thawed.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:29 AM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In the Canada section on the bird site, there is a thread about the 12 guys that got pulled over in their sports cars last week north of Toronto. As I said there, I don't know what those guys were doing and whether they were actually driving like idiots, but I know I've been accused of speeding in the past when I was below the limit but holding the car at higher RPMs (both in a Miata and in my 1970 911). And by high I mean 3-4K, not 7K.

There is a tendency to assume that the guy in the sports car is in the wrong, - if you had done the same in your manual transmission Honda Odyssey (not that they exist) no one have would paid attention.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:02 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The peace officer probably don't even know what rev-match means. I would just ignore it.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:07 AM
extanker
Banned

a simple "i am sorry officer" usually ends with no HBO drama . Act like a tinkebell and the cop will start writing ......attitude attitude attitude
Old 04-08-2017, 11:19 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

This morning early, like 7:30 or so I noticed I forgot to blow down the front drive turn out. So, instead of firing up the blower I grab a push broom. Don't want to be making early Saturday noise. As I'm sweeping I hear this "buzzzzzz" growing louder. Over the crest of the hill comes a black Ferrari like in 2nd gear, then a yellow Lamborghini. A few seconds later a new grey Ferrari. Music. I only smile.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:22 AM
extanker
Banned

^^^^ i like your neighborhood ........we have a guy that hot rods jeeps and diesels .i only frown
Old 04-08-2017, 12:04 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah, Edmonchuk! A good place to be from. Go Flames!
Old 04-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I tell my boys My neighborhood is like SoCal in the 60's. There are a couple of local car shows or so a year. Went to one at a church last weekend. Of like 60-70 cars I'd say 90% live in a 5 mile radius. Saw a collection guy had there have never seen before. A Formula SAE car, two 80's 930 race cars and two 70's BMW retired race cars from Belgium. Crazy.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:59 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Better to vent her on the forum, then with the Police officer, a little humility and apology will go a long way with the Law.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:08 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Couple weeks ago I was driving in left lane when a car raced up behind me going at least 15mph faster, so I moved over into right lane to let him pass. Had cruise on and was going the limit.

The car behind the one who raced up behind me lit me up.

Officer approaches car with his hand on his gun.

'You know why I pulled you over?'

'No, sorry I don't.'

'You failed to signal lane change.'

I'm not sure why he let the guy going 80 in a 65 go and pulled me over, but I'm guessing it was the first time he had ever seen anybody shift right to let someone pass and thought I must be a criminal.

Never assume cops are dicks when its more likely they're just idiots.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:51 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by SnP
Never assume cops are dicks when its more likely they're just idiots.
Line Of The Month right there ^^^^^

Actually in 2017 'Merica, most are both.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:45 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Line Of The Month right there ^^^^^

Actually in 2017 'Merica, most are both.
Most? Really- I retired with 30 years in LE, first as a Miami cop then retiring as a fed in 2003. Some are to be sure, but most are decent folks facing opposition (and aggression) from all corners of our culture. Pile on if you must but to make a generalization like that - just not so.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:49 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by D1coach
Most? Really- I retired with 30 years in LE, first as a Miami cop then retiring as a fed in 2003. Some are to be sure, but most are decent folks facing opposition (and aggression) from all corners of our culture. Pile on if you must but to make a generalization like that - just not so.
You're right.

Let me rephrase: Most traffic cops.

Quick Reply: Like having a bullseye on my back