Sponsored by:

Rattle above sun visor

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 07:21 PM
bandsmalter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle above sun visor

I have been chasing a rattle for weeks. I think I have finally found it. Question is: What is behind the headliner above the sun visors. There seems

to be a metal strip or some object that sits between the fabric of the headliner and the roof and that has come loose on both passenger and driver side. Any idea what is up there and what the fix would be?
Old 04-02-2017, 08:17 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If it's a coupe see this thread. There is a plastic spacer between the headliner and the roof that breaks and rattles: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...of-rattle.html
Old 04-02-2017, 10:52 PM
bandsmalter
Rennlist Member

It is a coupe, and looks like you nailed it. Seems like both sides are indeed broken. When I tap one side the other part beyond the fastener does not move. I am guessing it is snapped just like yours was. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:19 AM
bandsmalter
Rennlist Member

Follow up: My car is a 997.2 Coupe. These instructions may help others.

Order part numbers: 997.555.690.02 and 997.555.689.02

To fix:

1.) Remove the coat hook which covers the seam between the A and C pillars.
Pry from the or bottom or bottom corner up. This is a nice inexpensive set of trim removal tools on
Amazon Amazon

2.) This exposes an aluminum bracket. Loosen (no need to remove completely) the large silver torx screw and remove the philips screw that secures the B pillar trim.

3.) Remove the A pillar cover. Start from the back by the coat hook. It is held on by metal clips like
this this
. To remove without damage, pull the pillar cover straight out. Do not pull in a downward direction at all. Here is a picture of the A piller removed. Note the clip locations so you know where to pull. Again, at all these location pull straight out and near the clip locations.

NOTICE: There is a clear plastic "cup" (one on each side) that will come off when you remove the A pillar. Don't lose these.

3.) Remove the sun visor. Process is covered here. But you need to also remove the clip portion of the visor assembly. Gently pry open the access door to the screw that holds this in place.

4.) Remove the dome cover per the instructions in your owners manual. Look for the section in the sunroof emergency operation. You will want to completely remove this so, you will need to carefully remove the electrical connection clips to the sunroof switch, the lights and the wiring to the rear view mirror. The rear view mirror wiring is a white clip that is held in in a sort of holster. Look carefully, work slowly and it will all come apart.

5.) Remove the two screws that screw the headliner to the roof that were previously hidden under the dome cover.

6.) Follow these instructions again for the other side. You need to remove both A pillar covers, the dome cover, both sun visors.

7.) Pull down the headliner by hooking your fingers under the headliner at the windshield. I think there are 6 clips to pop to get the headliner down.

You will now have access to the broken parts. Do not over tighten as this might be the reason they broke.

Lastly - the one tool you should have in your tool box if you use reading glasses is a pair of sightline readers. The multifocus lenses work much better than regular readers when working on your car.

Last edited by bandsmalter; 04-05-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:20 AM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 173 Posts

Digging up this old thread since I am having this problem now.

For people who have done this, how hard was it? Did you break anything? Did this without a doubt solve the rattling?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Rattle above sun visor