GTS to take a nap

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 07:33 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts
Default GTS to take a nap

So, about to undergo fusion of my right ankle. No driving for at least 3 months, possibly as long as 6. What to do with the GTS? Forget what I did with the GT3 when I had the partial fusion.

1. Disconnect battery, or on battery maintainer? Think I did the latter.
2. Jack up, or leave resting on the tires? I had a scissor lift then. Think I relieved the suspension some.
3. Start it weekly, run to temperature? Or leave it be with Stabil (or whatever that gas tank stuff is called)?
4. I will cover it.

Anything else?

Opinions?

Thanks

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topic/979247-driving-with-a-fused-ankle.html
Old 03-24-2017, 07:47 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Due to your warm and stable temperature I would only inflate the tires to 50lbs, top up fuel tank, add battery tender, I put micro fiber towels under the wiper blades, and add cover to the car.

Just had my car back from hibernation, been in storage since midd November. Every year I store my car.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:13 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've never been a fan of raising the car and letting the suspension hang.

I'm not sure about every variation of 911 but there are rubber bushings that are tightened on the ground so letting the axles hang would put twist on them.

hope all goes well with the personal maintenance
Old 03-24-2017, 08:24 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Just had my car back from hibernation, been in storage since midd November. Every year I store my car.
Me too! I was just thinking that lt jmramos is basically undergoing Canadian winterization! I do add fuel stabilizer to the tank in the fall.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:09 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

Hi Joe, hope all goes well with your ankle first and foremost.

three months isn't that long, full tank and a tender is what i would do. And in recovery, go out to the garage (and make vroom vroom noises) and start it once a week and run it up too temp then off. It keeps a little fuel moving through the lines (although there not exposed to atmosphere). When my dirt bikes would sit through summer, the fuel (exposed to atmosphere) would evap and leave our Sillyfornia gas additives behind and constantly block the pilot jets....

Anyways, good luck bud!! Hope to drive with you this summer.....mike
Old 03-24-2017, 09:42 PM
MrTim
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll drive it for you.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:51 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey, good luck with the procedure dude! With the above guidance your car will be waiting patiently for your return. And, with the fusion, it might literally be metal to the pedal?
Old 03-25-2017, 09:18 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Stuff some laundry dryer sheets up in the areas near the battery to keep the rodents away.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:06 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Best wishes with the personal mods Joe!

On a positive note, the few times I've had to leave my 911 alone for even just a few weeks, it seemed to completely reinvigorate the feel of the car for me when I was able to return to it. After 3 months, I'll bet you find your first few outings to be quite the refreshing hoot!
Old 03-25-2017, 11:15 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70
Hi Joe, hope all goes well with your ankle first and foremost.

three months isn't that long, full tank and a tender is what i would do. And in recovery, go out to the garage (and make vroom vroom noises) and start it once a week and run it up too temp then off. It keeps a little fuel moving through the lines (although there not exposed to atmosphere). When my dirt bikes would sit through summer, the fuel (exposed to atmosphere) would evap and leave our Sillyfornia gas additives behind and constantly block the pilot jets....

Anyways, good luck bud!! Hope to drive with you this summer.....mike
I think it is pretty weel accepted that one of the worst things you can do is start the car in this way. The most wear occurs at start-up. Running until up to operating temp is not the same as driving for 20-30 minutes.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:21 AM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Due to your warm and stable temperature I would only inflate the tires to 50lbs, top up fuel tank, add battery tender, I put micro fiber towels under the wiper blades, and add cover to the car.

+1

We Canadians (except for those in Vancouver and Toronto) are experts in winter car storage. The only thing I would add to Mumbles' advice is to add Sta-bil before filling the tank, and take it for a 10 minute drive to ensure the Sta-bil is well circulated. The Sta-bil is not necessary, but removes the need to start and run the car at all. It's best to leave it asleep.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:20 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle1960
I think it is pretty weel accepted that one of the worst things you can do is start the car in this way. The most wear occurs at start-up. Running until up to operating temp is not the same as driving for 20-30 minutes.
I get your point but my argument is starting and letting it warm up is much better than letting the fuels rot in ther (hence the term "lot rot") . I mean we're only talking 3 months, not "long term"
Old 03-25-2017, 03:32 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70
I get your point but my argument is starting and letting it warm up is much better than letting the fuels rot in ther (hence the term "lot rot") . I mean we're only talking 3 months, not "long term"
If you are worried about that, then Sta-Bil is your friend. I stick by my statement that occasional starts on a stored car are not adviseable. Three months is actually nothing from a "storage" standpoint. IMHO you are being overly paranoid. She will be ready to go when you are, even if you do nothing but hook up a battery manitainer!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:13 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Good luck. I've had bone graft surgery and tendon transplant before and know what it feels like to wake up out of anesthesia after things like that. It's just a car don't worry about it.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:23 PM
riteoff
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

goodluck and speedy recovery!

What ive always done is over
- inflate tires and park them on anything somewhat soft( ive used those kids puzzle rubber floors)
-Some moisture absorbents inside cabin and one in each exhaust tip
-park car after a good hot run to burn off any moisture
-battery tender
-I wouldnt start until ready to be driven to avoid moisture not burning off
-car cover(try not to peek under during your time out, less touching, less marring
-full tank of fuel, maybe a bit of stabil

Leave car on the ground, sagging the suspension can cause issues to bushings etc.

Hope this helps and your up and running soon

Quick Reply: GTS to take a nap