Sponsored by:

Titanium lug bolts are here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Titanium lug bolts are here!

Yesterday I received my set of Titanium lug bolts and I can honestly say that the quality, presentation and expedient shipping have totally surpassed my expectations.

Some of you might think that spending $275 (including shipping) might be a frivolous and/or a merely cosmetic enhancement but if you recently removed your tire(s), you may just think twice.

The additional benefit is this you'll be able to get rid of those useless wheel locks as well as reducing lug bolt weight by 2/3 and corrosion resistance.

If you haven't yet considered them, then I suggest that you take a look at their site at: http://www.world-motorsports.com/por...-bolt-set.html BTW, I am by no means affiliated with these folks and my comments are the results of my physically evaluating the product.

Here are some pictures of what I received:

Old 07-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Spending $275 for Ti lugs is no less frivolous than having headlight washers painted to match your car color! But one reviewer of the lugs states that the 2009 stock steel lugs weigh 98 grams each and the Ti lugs weigh 68 grams each. In this case, unless the lock nut is really, really heavy you are only reducing the weight of the lugs by 30 grams each (one-third). Did you (OP) weigh each lug (and the lock nut), and if so, what numbers did you come up with.

I wonder, aside from aesthetics and the good feelings you get from Ti lugs (either of which justify their purchase), what benefit is there from saving, say, 30 grams per lug (total 600 grams)? (And just to be clear, this is a question and not a criticism.)
Old 07-10-2016, 03:24 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

150 grams less in unsprung weight per corner. Not a lot of interial load savings since they are located at the center of the hub but any unsprung weight savings is good. Though a third of a pound total is the difference between new tires and half worn tires.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:40 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car turns sharper with the new Ti lugnuts.

Well it looks sharper without rusty nuts. And since they were getting on my nerves to the point I had to replace them every 6 months, the Ti nuts seemed to make sense.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:22 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Spending $275 for Ti lugs is no less frivolous than having headlight washers painted to match your car color! But one reviewer of the lugs states that the 2009 stock steel lugs weigh 98 grams each and the Ti lugs weigh 68 grams each. In this case, unless the lock nut is really, really heavy you are only reducing the weight of the lugs by 30 grams each (one-third). Did you (OP) weigh each lug (and the lock nut), and if so, what numbers did you come up with.

I wonder, aside from aesthetics and the good feelings you get from Ti lugs (either of which justify their purchase), what benefit is there from saving, say, 30 grams per lug (total 600 grams)? (And just to be clear, this is a question and not a criticism.)
None taken (criticism that is)! My weight difference assumptions were solely based on what the manufacturer states in his website and which most probably skews values in their favor. BTW, matching color headlight washers are next on my list !!!

Originally Posted by nwGTS
150 grams less in unsprung weight per corner. Not a lot of interial load savings since they are located at the center of the hub but any unsprung weight savings is good. Though a third of a pound total is the difference between new tires and half worn tires.
Being that I'm not a "racer", I could care less about unsprung weight and similar nonsense. I guess that I may have pointed out the weight differentials for those find these things to be important.

Truthfully, my main reason for buying these was that I hated the look of the rusted bolt heads and the nuisance of the wheel locks. Could I have found a more economic solution? Most probably but being retired and following the advice of my son, who is Certified Financial Advisor, and whose mantra to me is "Go out and spend it! You can and you've earned the right to enjoy your life and do/buy things that make you happy!". BTW and following that advice, next month I'm starting a 3 month, all out trek through Western Europe.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you actually feel a difference with these lightweight wheel bolts? I'm more of a function over form kinda guy.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:56 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

They look great! I would bye them for the shock and awe value alone.
The only thing that rusts more than lug nuts are the rotors which I hate both when they do.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:26 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
Can you actually feel a difference with these lightweight wheel bolts? I'm more of a function over form kinda guy.
no
Old 07-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Recent article in evo magazine quotes an individual who works for Eibach UK (as they are a British car mag), setting out the premise that 1kg of rotational unsprung weight equals about 3kg of static, sprung weight. So there seems to be an exponential savings if you reduce unsprung, rotational weight. That said, my own butt dyno is calibrated in approximately 50hp increments, and I doubt I could feel a difference in lug bolt weight. A champion auto crosser buddy of mine said he felt the effect of a missing lug nut on his car during a track day once though, but he's a far finer driver than me. Does anyone know if race teams use titanium lug bolts?
Old 07-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

If you like them, cool, but they are utterly pointless. 5 minutes with a wire wheel and a rattle can could fix your rust issues.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:50 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If you like them, cool, but they are utterly pointless. 5 minutes with a wire wheel and a rattle can could fix your rust issues.
I wish what you said was true. I have hit mine with a wire wheel and a rattle can many times and they still rust. Looking at getting titanium bolts so they do not look rusted and ugly. Now in Utah nothing rusted and what you say is true. Here in Texas everything rusts no matter what you do.

Last edited by doclouie; 03-10-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:00 PM
preelude
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie

I wish what you said was true. I have hit mine with a wire wheel and a rattle can many times and they still rust. Looking at getting titanium bolts so they do t look rusted and ugly. Now in Utah nothing rusted and what you say is true. Here in Texas everything rusts no matter what you do.
I just got some MRG ones, and I am very impressed. My stock ones weigh 94g and the Titanium ones are 67g, 145g of unsprung weight savings per corner. No rust for till the end of time and improved looks was the true sale feature for me though. They are on sale right now: https://www.mrgraceco.com/store/p63/MRG_TITANIUM_LUG_BOLT_KIT_-_PORSCHE_2-PIECE_M14x1.5_R14_.html

Last edited by preelude; 03-11-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:22 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Those look good, but I can find nothing on the grade of titanium on their website. Not all titanium is created equal. I will let you know what they say when they get back with me.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:37 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Porsche 993 had titanium lug nuts. I thought, at the time that Porsche sold all of their cars with titanium lugs so I was surprised and disappointed to find steel lugs with flaked off chrome and rust on my 997.2. People who should have known better have tried to tell me that my lug nuts were aluminum!!! The ads for Ti lugs that I have seen state that the titanium is aircraft grade. I will be getting a set in the near future.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:05 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Some people have money to burn!!

Quick Reply: Titanium lug bolts are here!