Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any 997.1 owners try LED fog replacement bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 01:32 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Default any 997.1 owners try LED fog replacement bulbs?

Anything that works and looks good and matches the stock HID? I prefer the more uniform look of modern LEDs, but I know that sometimes switching parts can introduce problems.

If that isn't a good option, how about a normal bulb that matches the more white color of the HID headlights?

TIA
Old 03-16-2017, 01:53 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Dude there is literally a post on this already 3 threads below. And you already posted in it??
Old 03-16-2017, 02:56 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vern1
Dude there is literally a post on this already 3 threads below. And you already posted in it??
DUDE, yes, I posted in that thread, BUT I also realized that he is talking about the Bi-Xenon lights to match it with. I thought the Bi-Xenon lights are a variation of the Xenon lights WHICH would be a totally different color than an HID light. So seeing that he had a C4 and not an S, it could have been the base lights and I didn't want to hijack his thread assuming that it would be a different application (also taking into consideration that he didn't have any mention of LED lights). So I decided to form my own thread because I thought the bi-Xenon was different than the HID and my larger question was about the LED and not a normal light, which is what he was looking for. In other words, the 2 posts are NOT exactly the same.

So DUDE, sorry if I wasted your time into reading 2 different posts, but if you read close enough, these are NOT exactly the same question and I didn't want to threadjack.

btw, if reading useless posts on the internet might waste your time and frustrate you, it probably isn't a great idea to spend a lot of time on the internet. Lots of wasted time out there
Old 03-16-2017, 05:52 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
DUDE, yes, I posted in that thread, BUT I also realized that he is talking about the Bi-Xenon lights to match it with. I thought the Bi-Xenon lights are a variation of the Xenon lights WHICH would be a totally different color than an HID light. So seeing that he had a C4 and not an S, it could have been the base lights and I didn't want to hijack his thread assuming that it would be a different application (also taking into consideration that he didn't have any mention of LED lights). So I decided to form my own thread because I thought the bi-Xenon was different than the HID and my larger question was about the LED and not a normal light, which is what he was looking for. In other words, the 2 posts are NOT exactly the same.

So DUDE, sorry if I wasted your time into reading 2 different posts, but if you read close enough, these are NOT exactly the same question and I didn't want to threadjack.

btw, if reading useless posts on the internet might waste your time and frustrate you, it probably isn't a great idea to spend a lot of time on the internet. Lots of wasted time out there
Riiiiiggghhhht

Thread pollution
Old 03-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Some info here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14036545

I was gonna try it too, but got sidetracked a bit. The Retrofit Source has anti flicker resistors, but of course you can buy those almost anywhere - but The Retrofit Source's products are typically top notch and proven, so the extra cost is generally worthwhile in my view.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:13 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Some info here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14036545

I was gonna try it too, but got sidetracked a bit. The Retrofit Source has anti flicker resistors, but of course you can buy those almost anywhere - but The Retrofit Source's products are typically top notch and proven, so the extra cost is generally worthwhile in my view.
thanks for the informative reply 👍
Old 03-16-2017, 07:44 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Forgot to add - I have Hoen USA's 'xenomatch' halogen replacement bulbs in my foglights at the moment. They do kinda match the headlights, but not 100%. To my eye, 4300K HID headlights look pretty white, but any regular halogen bulb is far closer to yellow, like maybe in the range of 3300-3500K (I'm just using my experience with 3000K yellow halogen bulbs we have in our LR3's foglights as comparison). I'd say the Hoen's are in the high 3000K range as comparison to the HID headlights.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:24 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I got mine yesterday and will install today. Paid around 50 bucks for all including courier delivery.

Surprised about the massive Alu-covered resistors but I assume it's good as someone mentioned they generate a lot of heat.

Am I the only one who thinks the Xenon is closer to 6000K than 4300? My xenons are almost too "blue" for my taste. So my thinking is that these will be similar.

However, I will never run the xenon and fog lights together. The fog lights will be my manual DRL.

Update with pictures later this evening. I hope it will not look embarrassing and that connectors are the right ones if you don't see an update you know about the result
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2017, 05:23 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

If you want your car to really stand out. Leave it stock.
A car with modern look of LED's? New cars look great with the LED's.
Older car with LED's? I have found it very difficult to get the colour right.
Always too purple or blue.
Even a new regular type bulb is great. The new bulb has the intended colour spectrum.
Replace in pairs.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:39 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude!! 🤓
Old 03-17-2017, 09:41 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks the Xenon is closer to 6000K than 4300? My xenons are almost too "blue" for my taste. So my thinking is that these will be similar. [/quote]

Glad I'm colorblind.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:05 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

OK! Was sick yesterday but installed it today. Sorry for the messy garage floor Couple of days with rain and dirt.

Notice how you must use the credit card or similar to take the light housing out. There is only one clip exactly where I put the card but it's a little tricky. You need to angle it quite a bit and push in slightly different directions.

Very pleased with the result. Good color match with the BI-xenons. Thank god I bought the resistor kit. Without it the LED was flickering. So - don't use LED:s without the resistor kit. With the resistor there is no flicker whatsoever.

You will notice in the pictures that the spread of light is very different from normal Halogens. The Dectanes and other replacements should have the same since they are LED strips. However I will only use them as DRL so I think the spread will be no problem. If I get people blinking lights I might remove them but I really like the result.

These are the LED:s
http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item...kxOWQ1ZDA1ZQ==

And this is the resistor kit. You must have it to avoid flickering:

http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item...ZlM2RkYWUxMQ==
Attached Images           
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (11-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2017, 12:05 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

I like the result. Is there a version of that website that is in English?
Originally Posted by Racetwin2
OK! Was sick yesterday but installed it today. Sorry for the messy garage floor Couple of days with rain and dirt.

Notice how you must use the credit card or similar to take the light housing out. There is only one clip exactly where I put the card but it's a little tricky. You need to angle it quite a bit and push in slightly different directions.

Very pleased with the result. Good color match with the BI-xenons. Thank god I bought the resistor kit. Without it the LED was flickering. So - don't use LED:s without the resistor kit. With the resistor there is no flicker whatsoever.

You will notice in the pictures that the spread of light is very different from normal Halogens. The Dectanes and other replacements should have the same since they are LED strips. However I will only use them as DRL so I think the spread will be no problem. If I get people blinking lights I might remove them but I really like the result.

These are the LED:s
http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item...kxOWQ1ZDA1ZQ==

And this is the resistor kit. You must have it to avoid flickering:

http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item...ZlM2RkYWUxMQ==
Old 03-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Those look great - nice job. I probably would have used the encapsulated resistors though. Have you felt how hot those open gold resistors get and what did you attach them to as a heat sink?
Old 03-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

RodH, Petza914

Not in English unfortunately but if you open in chrome you can use the translate function. I'm not fluent in Polish so that's how I did it.

Or google the name of the lamp and you might find local provider or Google the data of the lamp. I can open up and see if I can find the manufacturer.

I haven't attached it yet to a heat sink but I could see the metal body from the opening where the lamp is. Now the resistor is just hanging in the air inside. Wondering how to fix it though since it's too tight to drill small holes. Epoxy glue? Maybe that will not transfer the heat good enough? Any ideas?

The resistors actually came with two small holes so it's prepared.

Quick Reply: any 997.1 owners try LED fog replacement bulbs?