Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried Ohlins Road & Track?

Old 04-28-2017, 06:27 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
Penske's are amazing, no doubt about that, but we're talking a whole different price level let alone totally custom to your needs. Think 3-4 times the price of the Ohlins R&T. To get comparable Ohlins dampers you'll have to move to the motorsports TTX line.

If you're street driving your car with a few track days a year, it would be a waste to get a fully custom Penske setup that you have to have serviced much more frequently imo...
Yes 100% agreed! Was just commenting on where I've seen them fall short. Generally speaking I find it difficult to have a car that sees partial track duty between proper performance parts and more importantly safety. For street use, id imagine ohlins or almost anything relatively decent would do the trick.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:51 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marshal_Mercer
Even with all of that set correctly though, I believe that the General Motors' magnetorheological shock is superior in every way.
I don't recall seeing anything about them outside Corvette and Ferrari circles. Anyone have experience with this with Porsche -- beyond engine mounts, that is?
There is a reason why you don't see them. Magnetic shock technology is awesome for the street but as soon as you hit the track, the viscosity all goes to hell when the fluid heats up. It's not consistent control like a needle or spool valve. Hence the reason GM's Camaro Z/28 and Canyon ZR2 truck uses Mutimatic's DSSV Spool Valve shocks and not their own magnetic shock technology.

Our Bilstein damptronics are actually one of the best designed active suspensions in the world. It's technology makes it very consistent. It's problem is that it's valves and computer controller are slow. DSC controller fixes the computer issue. Tractive Suspension's Dampers fix the slow valve issue.

I have Ohlins on my bike and racing Ohlins dampers on my last street/track car. I am definitely an Ohlins fan boy, but unless I was a dedicated racer, (in which I'd be using Ohlin's crazy $$$ TTX stuff), I would never trade an active system like PASM for a manual rebound/comp adjustment damper. The cost over time of pulling my old Ohlins off my car and having to have them rebuilt was a major headache. The road and track series shocks supposedly don't have to be rebuilt as often, but I don't see how beating on a shock at the track even 6 times a year is going to provide consistent performance in the long run, unless you rebuild dampers often. For guys that have PASM already, I would strongly recommend staying with an active suspension, getting the DSC controller, and either the B16 or Tractive Dampers. Porsche has already given us the best damper technology in the world, it just needed to be fine tuned. If F1 allowed active suspensions, you bet your *** it would be back in a heartbeat. In fact they are lobbying this year to try and bring it o the 2018 season. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...return-874491/
The following users liked this post:
hamishpotter (10-18-2020)
Old 05-30-2017, 01:50 PM
stoked_on_spool
Intermediate

Finally got mine installed 3 days ago!

First impressions, I absolutely love them!

I try to do 3-4 HPDE weekends a year, and I daily drive my 2005 997 C2 approx 13k miles/yr. For me, I wanted to find an adjustable coilover system that would:
A) Be as comfortable as stock
B) Allow me to lower the car to get rid of the 4x4 look (my opinion)
C) Be as good or better than stock on the track

I've only been able to confirm A and B to this point, but I have no doubt it will perform better on track too! I started out with the suspension 5 clicks from full stiff just to get the sensation of driving with the firmer setup and although it's too much for me on the street, it felt fantastic and extremely planted driving through some twists local to me. I then dialed them 5 clicks from full soft, and it has COMPLETELY different character. It's smooth on all sorts of roads and very composed. As i stated earlier, this is primarily a daily driver for me and ride quality was the most important thing for me to find, and I think these Ohlins R&T really do a great job (and for a great price too! <$2,400)

I would highly recommend this kit, and will comment back here if anything changes and/or after my first track day with it.

-Bret
Old 06-03-2017, 05:45 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stoked_on_spool

I try to do 3-4 HPDE weekends a year, and I daily drive my 2005 997 C2 approx 13k miles/yr. For me, I wanted to find an adjustable coilover system that would:

I've only been able to confirm A and B to this point, but I have no doubt it will perform better on track too! I started out with the suspension 5 clicks from full stiff just to get the sensation of driving with the firmer setup and although it's too much for me on the street, it felt fantastic and extremely planted driving through some twists local to me. I then dialed them 5 clicks from full soft, and it has COMPLETELY different character. It's smooth on all sorts of roads and very composed. As i stated earlier, this is primarily a daily driver for me and ride quality was the most important thing for me to find, and I think these Ohlins R&T really do a great job (and for a great price too! <$2,400)

I would highly recommend this kit, and will comment back here if anything changes and/or after my first track day with it.

-Bret
Thanks for the feedback. I just pulled the trigger on these yesterday and should have them on the car in 2 weeks. They were actually almost $1,000 less expensive than PSS9s here in Canada, so a no brainer.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:19 PM
cully
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stoked_on_spool

-Bret
Digging up an old thread...I am in the process of installing this kit. What was your final ride height and how much did it settle after you installed it? I have the rears installed as per spec and they are sitting really low, like 118mm...
Old 01-31-2018, 12:21 PM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Would be nice if everyone shared what rebound settings (how many clicks away from full stiff) they are using as well
Old 01-31-2018, 03:19 PM
second2none
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

I have mine set on 20 from full stiff. I initially started 5 flicks from full soft and the car was too bouncy. Then, I tried 15 from full stiff and was still slightly jarring. 20 from full stiff so far has been the compromise for street driving.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:07 AM
cully
Intermediate

I have only 3 drives on mine, but I have them set at 12 from full stiff. I would say that is is a little softer than I will set them for general driving. This setting would be really nice for a long highway drive. At this setting, with GT3 sway bars, the car is still about 1000% better than stock. Still experimenting...
Old 04-27-2018, 09:59 PM
cully
Intermediate

I had my first track outing with these today. I set them at 7. Could have gone a little stiffer on the smooth track I was on, but 7 was fine, really good actually. I have driven maybe 250 miles since I got them installed and aligned/corner balanced, and have them set at 12. I think that 12 is good for cruising, but it is just a touch "springy". If you're planning on a lot of twisties, I think I would set them at maybe 10. That is my plan anyway, when I go to North Carolina in a month.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:45 AM
shrumdog
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nowakm99
Thanks for the feedback. I just pulled the trigger on these yesterday and should have them on the car in 2 weeks. They were actually almost $1,000 less expensive than PSS9s here in Canada, so a no brainer.
where did you get these from in Canada ? I’m in Calgary thinking about this suspension. Bought the beast with tech art lowering springs.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:35 AM
josserman
Instructor

Did you guys also do LCA’s for additional camber? Curious what alignment setups you have as well.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:40 PM
andy2
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I had my -09 C2S done at Levin Racing in Sweden; they are set to 8 clicks, works fine for me on Swedish winter damaged roads
My setup is:
LF Toe 0.5 IN
Camber -1
RF Toe 0.5 IN
Camber -1
LR Toe 1.5 IN
Camber -2
RR Toe 1.5 IN
Camber -2

The result is a complete transformation of the car from a gentlemen's transportation vehicle to the Porsche sportscar I was looking for.
Also cabin noise is noticeably quieter and all rattles except for passenger seat belt holder have vanished. Car also looks the part now and that aint bad!
Old 06-22-2018, 08:05 AM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by andy2
I had my -09 C2S done at Levin Racing in Sweden; they are set to 8 clicks, works fine for me on Swedish winter damaged roads
My setup is:
LF Toe 0.5 IN
Camber -1
RF Toe 0.5 IN
Camber -1
LR Toe 1.5 IN
Camber -2
RR Toe 1.5 IN
Camber -2

The result is a complete transformation of the car from a gentlemen's transportation vehicle to the Porsche sportscar I was looking for.
Also cabin noise is noticeably quieter and all rattles except for passenger seat belt holder have vanished. Car also looks the part now and that aint bad!
awesome, good to know that with modest street alignment and nothing else you felt that big of a difference! I kind is suspected that, but was hoping for confirmation. My car came w all seasons so it’s hard to tell if it’s the tires or shocks that suck, but there are times where I’m pretty certain I can distinguish that the factory shocks can’t keep car in balance.

Just to confrim, not upgrades bars and no other modifications to the suspension right? Figure with the adjustability in dampened, and changed spring rates, you can dial out some of the understeer. For sure bars along would be the way to go, but in an effort to conserve, seems shocks alone will be most bang for buck, especially at the low cost of the dfv’s
Old 06-22-2018, 09:59 AM
andy2
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

No other mods (other than Car Graphics loud muffler
I run Pilot Sports 2 235/305:s at 2.3 and 2.7 bars respectively.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:45 PM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by andy2
No other mods (other than Car Graphics loud muffler
I run Pilot Sports 2 235/305:s at 2.3 and 2.7 bars respectively.
Awesome, really glad to hear it! I’d love to run RE71’s, but I know it’s kinda a waste for a street car, and they are so grippy I bet the ohlins off the shelf valving and spring rates may not be a good match. Have a feeling the PS2’s are perfect, so great feedback on how happy you are with the setup!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone tried Ohlins Road & Track?