PDK Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:51 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
Default PDK Service

Thought I would post my recent experience. I have a 2011 GTS with PDK and 18000 miles. Time for annual service even though miles are low. Dealer (Porsche of Delaware) did the service since the car is still under CPO and I want to make sure no issues etc. The PDK service at 60000 miles or 6 years calls for the clutch oil to be replaced so that was done at a cost of $403.12 which includes oil (6 qts at $31), drain plug ($17.12) and two hours labor ($100/hr). I asked about the pan replacement and transmission oil change and was told that is required at 120000 or 12 years. That is the same as I have found on the official Porsche web site for maintenance activities. Just drove the car and all seems fine etc. As an aside the normal dealer labor rate is $140/hr but they use $100/hr for PCA members - that is consistent with most good indys in the area. Hope this adds to knowledge base.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:55 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

That is a nice PCA discount. Mine is 10% which is nowhere near $40/hour.

Eddie
Old 03-06-2017, 06:29 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Just booked mine, price is in line with what you were charged
Old 09-22-2017, 08:08 PM
STEVEW3765
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY

Can we not do this ourselves? Or is this better left to the pro's?
Old 09-22-2017, 10:51 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Yes you can do it yourself , but call around and get some qoutes......its really not worth it to diy......you have to jack your car up on on side to get the required amount of oil in without a piwis. And if they charge you for more than 4 litres you are being overcharged......unless the drop the pan , but that is only on the 09's
Old 09-23-2017, 07:10 AM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
......you have to jack your car up on on side to get the required amount of oil in without a piwis.
Really? You must be kidding!

This may work on a 1970s VW Beetle but please nobody try this on a PDK transmission.

CF
Old 09-23-2017, 09:29 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes you can do it yourself , but call around and get some qoutes......its really not worth it to diy......you have to jack your car up on on side to get the required amount of oil in without a piwis. And if they charge you for more than 4 litres you are being overcharged......unless the drop the pan , but that is only on the 09's
Yes, you can do it yourself IF YOU HAVE A PIWIS. Otherwise, NO. See several other threads on the subject.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:49 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Yes, you can do it yourself IF YOU HAVE A PIWIS. Otherwise, NO. See several other threads on the subject.
No, you do not need a piwis.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-a...id-change.html

I really dont know why users here are so negative when they really do not have a clue as to what they are talking about. If you have personally seen this service performed then you will realize that you could diy if you had any common sense.....is it worth it? Not really imo, but I applaud 69111e for his diy write up and doing it himself. If everyone had your mentality As far as jacking the car up on one side.....all I can say is ," I guess you have never changed a tire." Thankfully not everyone has this mentality and we have diy write ups on brake,suspension, sparkplugs, oil changes etc for those who want more information and may want to diy.

Oh..... Everyone go ahead and change your oil and filter on your $20,000 motor but dont you dare and attempt to change your clutch fluid on your $15,000 pdk.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:55 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I change the oil myself on my $20,000 motor and when I do I follow the instructions published by Porsche. It is a simple process (for me) and I have the proper tools to do it.

I have the instructions for draining, refilling and checking the PDK clutch oil and they call for using the PIWIS system. As I don't have one I let somebody that's properly equipped and qualified to do the job.

CF
Old 09-23-2017, 06:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

I'm sorry but that planet9 post procedure is a disaster waiting to happen. It is an empiric recipe someone concocted, arrogantly ignoring the factory procedure. Nonsense!

And yes, I have changed wheels/tires and a lot more.

No, you do not need a piwis.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-a...id-change.html

I really dont know why users here are so negative when they really do not have a clue as to what they are talking about. If you have personally seen this service performed then you will realize that you could diy if you had any common sense.....is it worth it? Not really imo, but I applaud 69111e for his diy write up and doing it himself. If everyone had your mentality As far as jacking the car up on one side.....all I can say is ," I guess you have never changed a tire." Thankfully not everyone has this mentality and we have diy write ups on brake,suspension, sparkplugs, oil changes etc for those who want more information and may want to diy.

Oh..... Everyone go ahead and change your oil and filter on your $20,000 motor but dont you dare and attempt to change your clutch fluid on your $15,000 pdk.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:04 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Fluid volume out, fluid volume in.......it really does not get any easier.......he figured a way to do it without a complicated piece of equipment...... its not rocket science. I know you want many to believe it is as it is written in the manual, but if you want to keep your blinders on go right ahead.....just dont be so negative when someone happens to think outside the box. If you cant be positive dont bother replying. Just because you have no common sense does not mean others with should not try it.

The factory also states empirically mobile 1 oil right on the car........ heaven forbid you use something else

BUT for Steve.......if my dealer was 3-4 hours away and not 10 mins , I would have done this myself like the guy who did, as it can be done in about 1-2 hrs depending on equipment you have access to. I booked mine and actually watched the procedure first hand so I do know what I'm talking about. It is a procedure that you can take and wait for it to be done if you time it right with your dealer.

Last edited by docdrs; 09-24-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Fluid volume out, fluid volume in.......it really does not get any easier.......he figured a way to do it without a complicated piece of equipment...... its not rocket science. I know you want many to believe it is as it is written in the manual, but if you want to keep your blinders on go right ahead.....just dont be so negative when someone happens to think outside the box. If you cant be positive dont bother replying. Just because you have no common sense does not mean others with should not try it.

The factory also states empically mobile 1 oil right on the car........ heaven forbid you use something else...
I'm sorry but I do not use Mobil 1 or N-rated tires...

But... for a complex part like a PDK, yeah, I follow Weissach reqs.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:42 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Porsche Nashville charged something like $650 . . . I suppose oil costs more here than anywhere else or they just suck.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM
STEVEW3765
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I didn't mean to start a poo storm. As you may or may not know. My 09 c2s is at the dealer getting an o2 sensor replaced. Which I could have done myself. But, I figured since it's under warranty. Why not let the pros do it. Now I figured "while they were in there" I would have them do an oil change. 260 bucks. I smiled and said ok thanks because I can perform this for the cost of oil filter and knick knacks called upon by Porsche for a 16th of the cost. You bet I am going to seek out other DIY threads. Don't get me wrong. I love our Porsche techs. I just thought maybe I could save a buck or two by performing the procedure myself. However, I am not that mechanically inclined. So, I do understand ALL my mechanical limitations...

Quick Reply: PDK Service