Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do all lowering springs give a harsh ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:39 PM
storch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do all lowering springs give a harsh ride?

I added vogtland lowering springs to my 2009 997S can and the ride is quite a bit harsher on my beautiful Michigan roads.

After 1000 miles the drivers side front strut blew a leak with only 8000 miles on the car so I had the front struts replaced with beilstien struts.

Is the stiffness due to the spring rate or sitting deeper into the struts dampening?

It's a little late now but I've noticed coil over kit starting at $840 on up to $4000.

It is just used as a summer daily driver.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

Voightland are softer than stock so the extra harshness was probably due to hitting the bump stops on the suspension. the fact that you blew a damper might support this theory.

I have the spring rates for those springs on my Spring Rate spreadsheet, I can post the exact numbers up next week as I don't have access to it right now or you can search around in this forum and find it.

Eibach reportedly give better ride than stock over bumps and people don't seem to have any issues with the dampers as they end up stiffer and you probably won't bottom out so much.

Hope this helps
Old 03-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

I've had Eibach installed on my '06 non-PASM car for >4 years now - no issues, no increase in harshness, no settling etc. Has been a great decision for me.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:21 PM
storch
Instructor

I found a post stating that you can add 6mm spacers to the front lowering springs if so maybe that little extra distance or travel will keep me off the bump stops if that's what I am feeling.

The new struts didn't soften the ride that's for sure, could the pasm be stuck on the firm setting since ???
Old 03-04-2017, 07:48 PM
911grizzly
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes they do. Lowering springs are for poseurs who are concerned with how their cars look, not the correct engineering of the suspension. Trust that the Porsche engineers got your stock suspension right and do not alter it.

If you want a lower car or stiffer suspension, Porsche has a car for you. It's called a GT3.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:42 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

Why do you think that? What are you basing your assertion on? I'm serious in wanting to learn about the facts behind what you are stating. Do you know for and fact that Porsche engineered the ride high of the US 997 specifically for performance (correct engineering)? Please share with the forum.

Matt

Originally Posted by 911grizzly
Yes they do. Lowering springs are for poseurs who are concerned with how their cars look, not the correct engineering of the suspension. Trust that the Porsche engineers got your stock suspension right and do not alter it.

If you want a lower car or stiffer suspension, Porsche has a car for you. It's called a GT3.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:30 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

lowering springs are a little harder, you can tell it slightly. But its the shocks that make it ride like iron. the shocks make it feel hard. Common sence, if you have your pasm on comfort, its normal feel, push the sport button, hard as a rock. It hardens the shock.
Go from mushy shock to solid shock, thats what does it
Old 03-05-2017, 12:16 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

And why do they make the cars in Europe and the GT3 lower? Is it for all those Euro trash GT3 driving poseurs?
Old 03-05-2017, 12:58 AM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Troll
Old 03-05-2017, 03:05 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by storch
I found a post stating that you can add 6mm spacers to the front lowering springs if so maybe that little extra distance or travel will keep me off the bump stops if that's what I am feeling.

The new struts didn't soften the ride that's for sure, could the pasm be stuck on the firm setting since ???
Yes if you have PASM and it's connected in wrong the default setting is 'sports' or full stiff. You should notice a difference when you turn it on and off, it's easy to plug it in the wrong way around and it only takes one shock connected wrong.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:01 AM
storch
Instructor

I'm thinking that's what happened if it's a 50/50 chance it's right or wrong on each side making it only a 25% chance that both sides are right.

I know prior to the spring install if I turned it to sport it was night and day way to stiff for Michigan roads, I tested after and couldn't tell but stayed still regardless of setting.

Car is stored up on my lift for winter but I'll check into it asap.
Where is it plugged in at?
Old 03-05-2017, 10:33 AM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Speaking of springs and Porsche "getting it right." I have a factory Sport Suspension. Option code: 030 PASM sports chassis -20 mm. This is a 20mm drop than a standard 997.2 Carrera S in this case. Since I track the car, I am always interested in the best suspensions set up. You can spend a great deal on coil-overs, but I think the stock suspension is very capable. I am contemplating camber plates and rear strut mounts with monoballs. As I was researching this, I read that Elephant Racing cited the ROW or European spring for sport suspension may be the best "factory" spring for the car. They list four "factory" options. ROW M030, M030(Stock US Sport Suspension) and X74 (Standard S) It reads:

For Porsche 996/997
Front M030 springs were used in cars with factory Sport suspension, coded M030. This is Euro or ROW version, which provides a slight drop over American M030 and stock springs and firmer ride. Available for C2 and C4 cars. X74 springs are firmer than M030 and will usually result in more substantial suspension drop as well. Available only for C2 cars.

Available Front Springs:

• ROW M030 front spring set c2 - 996 343 531 11
• M030 front spring set c4 - 996 343 533-16
• X74 Front spring set c2 - 996 343 380 07

My question, is the ROW M030 a worthy enough upgrade?
Old 03-05-2017, 11:00 PM
911grizzly
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to disappoint DB, but I'm not a troll. My 997.1 S (a Canadian car) has the factory sport suspension. Original owner had installed H&R lowering springs before I bought the car. Why? For cosmetic reasons.

The ride of the car was far too harsh. I reinstalled the OE springs (original owner gave them to me), and now the car's suspension works as designed - excellent on both road and track.

A car's suspension is a complex engineering work - each of the parts including the springs are calibrated to work together, so if you swap out the springs for something else, the whole system stops working as it is designed.

I've heard the rumor that Porsche increased the ride height on some U.S. Cars, but I also heard that is a myth.

If there are any qualified suspension engineers reading this who disagree, I will listen to them. In the meantime, I'm convinced most Rennlisters who install lowering springs do it only because they think their car looks cool that way and they don't know any better.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:14 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to disappoint DB, but I'm not a troll. My 997.1 S (a Canadian car) has the factory sport suspension. Original owner had installed H&R lowering springs before I bought the car. Why? For cosmetic reasons.

The ride of the car was far too harsh. I reinstalled the OE springs (original owner gave them to me), and now the car's suspension works as designed - excellent on both road and track.

A car's suspension is a complex engineering work - each of the parts including the springs are calibrated to work together, so if you swap out the springs for something else, the whole system stops working as it is designed.

I've heard the rumor that Porsche increased the ride height on some U.S. Cars, but I also heard that is a myth.

If there are any qualified suspension engineers reading this who disagree, I will listen to them. In the meantime, I'm convinced most Rennlisters who install lowering springs do it only because they think their car looks cool that way and they don't know any better.
Base models that were not spec'ed with PASM are higher than S and above. There is noticeable wheel gap on the base cars. While I agree this is largely cosmetic, I understand there are distinctions in spring performance in the model of spring used. I actually chose the Eibachs over the H&R or Sharkwerks and will have mine installed in a few weeks, due to reports they tend to slightly improve the ride versus degrading it.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:12 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Are you a qualified suspension engineer? I assume so, so pls explain why they make the GT3 lower.

Of course most do it for cosmetic reasons but many, myself included like the slightly firmer ride. I would never call it harsh but this is a very subjective opinion. To say we are all poseurs is a bit over the top to put it politely

Quick Reply: Do all lowering springs give a harsh ride?