Sponsored by:

RND Replacement Motor Here. Read On:

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:58 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow RND Replacement Motor Here. Read On:

Update on replacement for scored motor 2006 S 44k miles.

$20K RND long block in shop. In order to ensure one year warranty Tech advises they are "strongly suggesting" replacement of fuel injectors, maf and require "test results" from motor upon firing it up. This is in addition to the $1200 for planned replacement parts and the $5-6000 original estimate for installation. Really?

I'd appreciate some feedback here from clearer heads than mine at this point
Old 03-01-2017, 04:16 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Adding 30% to the estimate?
Sounds like a mob boss suggestion.
Five year warranty extension, maybe.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:04 PM
JCD911S
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Might make sense depending on the current mileage on those parts. You've obviously spent a lot already, but a few hundred dollars more will tie everything together better. Last thing you want is for that $20k motor to not run at its best because of those old parts.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:20 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

New Bosch injectors and MAF should not be $1,200. The labor should already be included in bolting things on the RND long block. MAF you can wait for test data and see if it needs replacing. If it does, the labor is minimal. Anyone with a torx screwdriver can swap it out in 5 min.

I just rebuilt my engine (m96 3.6L to 3.8L) and I sent out my injectors (100k miles) for cleaning and calibrating and they perform flawlessly. New Bosch injectors should be like $50~60 a piece but the labor to swap them out AFTER the engine install will be quite a bit.

Test data after the install is a MUST because that gives you the vitals and see how well the new engine performs. Keep in mind the engine needs a lot of other supports to work optimally. e.g., intake will be bolted onto the RND long block. If there's an air leak, that will create issues. Test data can reveal that before it's becoming an issue.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:18 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ahsai
New Bosch injectors and MAF should not be $1,200. The labor should already be included in bolting things on the RND long block. MAF you can wait for test data and see if it needs replacing. If it does, the labor is minimal. Anyone with a torx screwdriver can swap it out in 5 min.

I just rebuilt my engine (m96 3.6L to 3.8L) and I sent out my injectors (100k miles) for cleaning and calibrating and they perform flawlessly. New Bosch injectors should be like $50~60 a piece but the labor to swap them out AFTER the engine install will be quite a bit.

Test data after the install is a MUST because that gives you the vitals and see how well the new engine performs. Keep in mind the engine needs a lot of other supports to work optimally. e.g., intake will be bolted onto the RND long block. If there's an air leak, that will create issues. Test data can reveal that before it's becoming an issue.
The 1200 I mentioned was for other parts found to be needing replacement after tech removed oem motor and prior to installation of No estimate yet for injectors or 'testing' You are correct that work done now saves majority of labor costs. Thanks for the perspective.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:24 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JCD911S
Might make sense depending on the current mileage on those parts. You've obviously spent a lot already, but a few hundred dollars more will tie everything together better. Last thing you want is for that $20k motor to not run at its best because of those old parts.
True. I am concerned about warranty being mentioned by rebuilder. Never heard of engine failing because of injector or maf issues if you get my drift.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:29 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Adding 30% to the estimate?
Sounds like a mob boss suggestion.
Five year warranty extension, maybe.
Long block comes w 1 year warranty.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:47 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gpjli2
True. I am concerned about warranty being mentioned by rebuilder. Never heard of engine failing because of injector or maf issues if you get my drift.
It's actually very likely if you have faulty or poor injector/MAF. Extra unburned fuel can wash down the cylinder wall and that creates extra wear and affects the piston rings break-in process as well. If the rings don't break in well, you will have excessive oil consumption for the rest of the life of the engine. Unfortunately this maf/fuel injectors are not part of the long block so it's outside RND's control.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:02 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

It's actually very likely if you have faulty or poor injector/MAF. Extra unburned fuel can wash down the cylinder wall and that creates extra wear and affects the piston rings break-in process as well. If the rings don't break in well, you will have excessive oil consumption for the rest of the life of the engine. Unfortunately this maf/fuel injectors are not part of the long block so it's outside RND's control.
Yes. This apparently is the concern. I wish someone had thought to investigate this from the start. My car had rich left exhaust from mile one. Porsche borescoped motor with 3000 miles and found 'nothing'. This certainly leaves me wondering. Not that it matters now. Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:00 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Yes. This apparently is the concern. I wish someone had thought to investigate this from the start. My car had rich left exhaust from mile one. Porsche borescoped motor with 3000 miles and found 'nothing'. This certainly leaves me wondering. Not that it matters now. Thanks again.
Scoring starts at the bottom of the cylinder so if they borescoped from the top via the spark plug holes, they won't see anything bad. One has to remove the oil pan and borescope from the inside of the sump. I doubt that's what the dealer did.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:29 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if there was an issue with bore concentricity from the factory.

My concern now is with the intake, exhaust and ecu mods that have been installed over the years. Not sure how RND will see this wrto warranty and the 'testing' they require. The motor is a different beast with the help of IPD, Awe and Revo and I would like to bolt all that equipment to the new motor but I can't afford to see another failure or go w/o a warranty for the first year. There was an intermittent "insufficient cat" light I learned to live with by clearing over the last few years. At least that's how it was interpreted at the time.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:52 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Can you use the stock parts while the engine is still under warranty? It will minimize the number of variables and give RND a good baseline. If a cat is inefficient, that would also affect fuel trims thus the baseline numbers.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:48 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Can you use the stock parts while the engine is still under warranty? It will minimize the number of variables and give RND a good baseline. If a cat is inefficient, that would also affect fuel trims thus the baseline numbers.
may have to do something like this. I will discuss with Tech working on installation and see how it goes. May need to talk to RND and get their take on it. With people going to 4.0 and other mods intake/exhaust stuff seems minor to me but apparently warranty claims have been denied on the part of some companies doing this sort of thing based on improper break in procedure and the like. I'll post as this goes along.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's actually very likely if you have faulty or poor injector/MAF. Extra unburned fuel can wash down the cylinder wall and that creates extra wear and affects the piston rings break-in process as well. If the rings don't break in well, you will have excessive oil consumption for the rest of the life of the engine.
I can't stress hard enough the wisdom of listening to this, it is 100% factual. In addition to the injectors and MAF, trust me you also want to change the tube/hoses connected to the AOS, not just put the old hoses back on the new AOS. A vacuum leak in the AOS tube will also affect the fuel trim so it runs rich and add to fuel washdown.

You are very fortunate your shop is following RND's directives. It will save you a lot more than $1200 worth of stress and down-time.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:19 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I can't stress hard enough the wisdom of listening to this, it is 100% factual. In addition to the injectors and MAF, trust me you also want to change the tube/hoses connected to the AOS, not just put the old hoses back on the new AOS. A vacuum leak in the AOS tube will also affect the fuel trim so it runs rich and add to fuel washdown.

You are very fortunate your shop is following RND's directives. It will save you a lot more than $1200 worth of stress and down-time.
They (RND) 'highly suggest' the replacement of all hoses, fittings, clamps as I understand it. TKH (tech shop-Long Island)) and I are in agreement with that in addition to addressing injectors and maf concerns. No worries there. Come too far at this point to drop ball now. Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: RND Replacement Motor Here. Read On: