Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIWIS II tool now for sale? Is this the real thing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 12:07 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation PIWIS II tool now for sale? Is this the real thing?

Hi,

Is this product legit? Or is it a scam?

After surfing the net looking for some goodies for my '06 C4 I cam across this:

http://www.eobdtool.com/Wholesale/piwis.html

This company is selling the PIWIS II system, it has offline and online functions

To support ONLINE function, valid certificate must be available for Porsche Piwis Tester II.

Requires ONLINE modules: (F BCM R BCM DME ELV SRS KEY)

here is another link that explains more about one time use online Porsche Dealer Account:

http://www.eobdtool.com/piwis-ii-tes...se-p-2119.html

and here:

http://www.eobdtool.com/porsche-piwi...me-p-2118.html
Old 02-23-2017, 01:44 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

It's a grey market PIWIS. It's likely real but not with online capabilities. This means it's a probably a copy hacked to work offline only. Typically a real PIWIS's hard drive is cloned, installed into a similar laptop, and mated with the Bosch OBDII hardware or a Chinese copy of it. To do remote coding or enabling things like sport chrono you will need to log onto Porsche's network with a valid user id/password. You will not have this capability. The modules listed require online access. I've also seen these grey market sellers offer their online logon via remote access for 24 hours for a fee of course ($250?).

A buddy loaned me one to play with when I retrofitted TPMS into the car. There are definitely more features than Durametric Pro, but not a huge number more. I accidentally disabled sport mode with it, and needed to see the dealer to get it reenabled because I did not have the online access, and wasn't about to pay more than a dealer visit for remote access from Asia into my computer. But I did get the TPMS system programmed properly, even enabling summer/winter/special (track) tire settings.

I'd say Durametric Pro covers about 80% of the same things without the online access. There are some small items that PIWIS can do better, and in some case beyond what Durametric Pro can do - mostly on the coding options side. Putting the grey market piece aside for the moment, I concluded Durametric Pro was enough for me since I already owned it. But if I didn't and want to spend double I would consider it. Again, putting the grey market piece of it aside...
Old 02-23-2017, 02:10 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am currently in contact with the German manufacturer of the PIWIS interface (Samtec HSX VCI) and list price is 2000€ just for the interface. So add in 240€ for the OBD2 connection cable.

Do you really think that this cheapo unit from China will be anything but a knock-off?

Regards,

CF
Old 02-23-2017, 10:07 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cool flash
I am currently in contact with the German manufacturer of the PIWIS interface (Samtec HSX VCI) and list price is 2000€ just for the interface. So add in 240€ for the OBD2 connection cable.

Do you really think that this cheapo unit from China will be anything but a knock-off?

Regards,

CF
True,

But for the same price as the Durametric Pro, you are also getting a laptop as well with this grey market PIWIS II system...

something to consider, no?
Old 02-23-2017, 11:16 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
But I did get the TPMS system programmed properly, even enabling summer/winter/special (track) tire settings.
wait what?!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:06 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
wait what?!
Yup, additional settings enabled for TPMS system with a borrowed gray market PIWIS. My 2006 C2S did not come with the TPM option. The hardest part of the retrofit was manually running wires as the wires were not in the front and rear main harnesses in my car. Then it needed programming with PIWIS to activate.

The biggest difference with the track tire settings is you define the target pressures. The other settings are predefined base on summer vs winter, 18 vs 19, partial vs full load. Not positive but I think the size option was also enabled.

The "Track Tire" is the special setting. There is an option in PIWIS to rename it to whatever you want. My OCD struggled with "Track Tyre" to match the other settings or "Track Tire" as it's properly spelled where I live. I settled on the latter

Old 02-24-2017, 12:26 PM
cool flash
Racer

This is clone hardware and cracked software. There is no telling what it may do to a control unit. Oftentimes these clone interfaces are missing parts or have used/recycled ICs etc.

Not sure you want to use that kind of equipment on a $100k car.

Regards,

CF
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (01-26-2020)
Old 02-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

This is clone hardware and cracked software. There is no telling what it may do to a control unit. Oftentimes these clone interfaces are missing parts or have used/recycled ICs etc.

Not sure you want to use that kind of equipment on a $100k car.

Regards,

CF
I tend to feel the same, however keep in mind Durametric is just that kind of tool.... it is a reverse engineered piece of software designed to be an alternative to the Porsche system. While not Chinese, I believe the hackers are a South African Company HEX. Is South Africa better than China? Be careful about stereotyping and entire countries efforts here.....

Anywho.... I would only hook up a popular product to my car rather than something I know little about.... country of origin is not an issue for me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-24-2017, 03:45 PM
cool flash
Racer

@ Bruce

I didnt mention any country, much less stereotyped anyone. You are the one stereotying China here me thinks. You should re-read my post and yours.

No need to further talk about violations of intellectual property and copyright violations...

CF
Old 02-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

@ Bruce

I didnt mention any country, much less stereotyped anyone. You are the one stereotying China here me thinks. You should re-read my post and yours.

No need to further talk about violations of intellectual property and copyright violations...

CF
Boy, you are right, I could have sworn we were talking about Chinese knockoffs... I went right to the lowest....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (01-31-2020)
Old 02-24-2017, 04:58 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

awesome info.

A buddy loaned me one to play with when I retrofitted TPMS into the car. There are definitely more features than Durametric Pro, but not a huge number more.

I'd say Durametric Pro covers about 80% of the same things without the online access. There are some small items that PIWIS can do better, and in some case beyond what Durametric Pro can do - mostly on the coding options side.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:32 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did anyone ever end up ordering a PIWIS 2 from eobdtool? Any feedback?
Cheers,

Johan
Old 01-27-2019, 12:39 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

I did yesterday. I have the Durametric Pro. I will compare both but from what I have seen, my Durametric Pro will probably be up for sale. Good price I might add.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:43 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Yup, additional settings enabled for TPMS system with a borrowed gray market PIWIS. My 2006 C2S did not come with the TPM option. The hardest part of the retrofit was manually running wires as the wires were not in the front and rear main harnesses in my car. Then it needed programming with PIWIS to activate.

The biggest difference with the track tire settings is you define the target pressures. The other settings are predefined base on summer vs winter, 18 vs 19, partial vs full load. Not positive but I think the size option was also enabled.

The "Track Tire" is the special setting. There is an option in PIWIS to rename it to whatever you want. My OCD struggled with "Track Tyre" to match the other settings or "Track Tire" as it's properly spelled where I live. I settled on the latter

Amazing - - loads of folks would kill for this. Any details/instructions on how to do this in PIWIS? Can I have my dealer do it? I've had them code things (like Dension) in the past and you have to give them specific instructions. It'd be great to be able to set custom pressures.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:36 AM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

duplicate sorry

Quick Reply: PIWIS II tool now for sale? Is this the real thing?