Sponsored by:

USB Power On/Off

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:35 PM
jessej
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB Power On/Off

I have an '09 C4S with AUX/USB/iPod inputs under the center arm rest. I'm using a Nulaxy bluetooth headset (into USB for power, AUX for sound) to play music through my stereo.

It works great EXCEPT that my USB doesn't power down when the engine is turned off. I've waited for 30+ minutes after turning off the ignition and removing the key but the USB is still powered on. I'm concerned that I'm going to forget to unplug it and accidentally drain my battery.

I've heard others say that it powers off automatically after a few minutes. Is there a PCM setting where I can configure the USB power? How does it work for others?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My iPod stays plugged in 24/7. I doubt there is enough power drawn to drain your battery. My USB cig adapter stays lit 24/7 as well, so I know the circuit is always hot.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:40 PM
jessej
6th Gear

Gonzo911, that's encouraging. I'm still hesitant to experiment with my battery. I'll see what others have to say -- if there are enough people who do this, it may give me the confidence to leave it plugged in
Old 02-10-2017, 12:24 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
My iPod stays plugged in 24/7. I doubt there is enough power drawn to drain your battery. My USB cig adapter stays lit 24/7 as well, so I know the circuit is always hot.
+1 on the low power draw. I also leave a 160GB iPod plugged into my 2010 C4S Cab 24/7/365 (using the Y cable for the PCM interface) and I have never had a problem of power drain. In fact, I just replaced my battery for the first time 2 months ago, so apparently keeping my iPod plugged in full time gets me 7 years of battery life
Old 02-10-2017, 12:42 AM
jessej
6th Gear

Gonzo and NorthShore, I'm curious if you always lock your vehicles for the night.

Based on advice in a separate, non-Rennlist discussion thread, I just did some experimentation and discovered that if I lock my car, the USB powers off after about two minutes. But, if I don't lock the car then the USB remains on.

Another quirky German "feature" but I could live with it. The problem is that I always park in my garage at home and never lock it, so may be tough to get into the habit.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:47 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by jessej
Gonzo and NorthShore, I'm curious if you always lock your vehicles for the night.

Based on advice in a separate, non-Rennlist discussion thread, I just did some experimentation and discovered that if I lock my car, the USB powers off after about two minutes. But, if I don't lock the car then the USB remains on.

Another quirky German "feature" but I could live with it. The problem is that I always park in my garage at home and never lock it, so may be tough to get into the habit.
Like you, I park in my garage at home at night and never lock it and I've never had a battery drain issue. That said, this has been by DD for the last 3 years, and I do lock the car when I drive to work and park in a public garage. But it's good to know that locking the car powers down the USB after a short period (and I suppose it makes sense).
Old 02-10-2017, 10:24 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Interesting about the USB powering down.......

Too bad the radio looses its brain when you shut the car off and the thing has to reload the music from the USB stick when you select it on the PCM3 button. In other words, keeping it powered when the ignition switch is off appears to have little to no value ... at least that I can figure out.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No, I don't lock the car in my garage.

Quick Reply: USB Power On/Off