Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

when I bought my car about 3 years ago I did not
Old 02-13-2017, 02:25 PM
DavidM911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased a four year “4 star ultimate drive” warranty issued by "Global Warranty" (see www.globalwarranty.com available in both the U.S. and Canada) and would never do so again.

I don’t usually purchase warranties but made an exception. Warranty was sold by an Infiniti dealership for a low mileage 3 year old Mercedes. Within 18 months, the steering rack developed a leak and the estimate repair cost was significant. The Mercedes dealership we used for servicing, a sister dealership under the same ownership as the Infiniti dealership, advised they refuse to deal with Global because of past issues even though their sister dealership sold us the warranty claiming it would be respected regardless of where the work was to be performed. So went to Infinity for the repair. Global refused to pay for the required new replacement parts insisting on a rebuild. Mercedes recommends against rebuild for safety and durability reasons. After endless back a forth and multiple repairs, I ultimately spend several thousands of dollars for repairs, had considerable unnecessary hassle and received a only a minor recovery from Global. Clearly purchasing a Global Warranty was not worth the money in this instance.

Thus, I would personally not deal with "Global Warranty" and have stopped using the specific dealerships.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:51 PM
Jus2626
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 91469972
I bought the Fidelity and a short time later my PDK needed to be replaced so paid for it self many times.
Did you purchase the Powertrain warranty? I am currently looking to get a warranty for the car I am getting but am unsure whether the base powertrain warranty from fidelity covers the PDK transmission.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:58 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I bought my 911 C4S from carmax and bought the Maxcare warranty and it paid for itself within one repair. So yes I advise getting one, more so if you have PDK. That’s anywhere from 14 to 18k to replace and they don’t service them. I would not roll that dice but many have.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine initially came with CPO, then I bought a 6yr exclusionary warranty from Paragon Motor Club. The warranty paid out almost twice what it cost me, they never denied a claim or tried to weasel out. It's expired now, got my fingers crossed.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:44 PM
snethss
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have done this twice, and I will never do it again.
that's what i keep telling myself at least.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Jus2626
Did you purchase the Powertrain warranty? I am currently looking to get a warranty for the car I am getting but am unsure whether the base powertrain warranty from fidelity covers the PDK transmission.
I purchased the power train warranty for wife's 2010 with pdk. My Porsche tech buddy and I were concerned about the internal clutches and them saying clutches are wear components even though they cannot be serviced or replaced, but the warranty says transmission is covered as at automatic transmission/transaxle clutch and states as follows:

TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/TRANSFER CASE

Transmission/transaxle case and all internally lubricated parts including ring and pinion gears; oil pump, cover, gears, housing and vanes; torque converter; valve body(s); throttle valve; valve pack; governor, gear and cover; parking gear and pawl; roll pins; sprags; sprockets; chain; springs; stator and shaft; pressure regulator valve; pressure switches; solenoids; bands; automatic transmission/transaxle clutch, drums, pistons and steel plates; planetary and sun gears; servos and rings; blockers; synchronizer hubs and keys; bearings; bushings; supports and shafts; control rings; yoke; extension housing; speedometer drive gears; accumulators and rings; adjusters; all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; shift cover and forks; separate bell housing; transfer case and all internal parts contained within the transfer case; seals and gaskets.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:24 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I got one with mine since it is a 2005 (more prone to IMS issues). After that it is up to me. If I have an IMS issue before then, the warranty will be nice to have (since the repair costs much more than the preventative IMS replacement). My plan is, a month before the warranty runs out, if IMS hasn't been replaced, to pay and have it fixed. I wont drive 1 mile on this IMS without it being under warranty to the new upgraded IMS solutions part/fix.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

My take is if you have a PDK, then get it. With those miles though it will be pricey. I would use Fidelity Warranty.

Quick Reply: Did you purchase a used car warranty