Sponsored by:

Condensation in my tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 08:40 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Condensation in my tail lights

Can anything be done, or is my car just sitting too much?
Old 01-28-2017, 08:55 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for cracks or take the tail lights out and see if all rubber connections are on - and tight.
I replaced me left tail light recently as it suddenly showed condensation. Almost impossible to see the little crack but that was the case for me.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:31 AM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought my car from out of state, and when it arrived, it had condensation in the tailights and in the reflector strip that spans between the tailights. I asked my local Porsche dealer about it, and was told that it's normal for the condensation to show up in the taillights and it would go away. And it did, within a week. The reflector strip on the other hand, had to be replaced, since they said there shouldn't be condensation behind it. So, you might be ok.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:53 AM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

surfer2001,
Same here. Its rained a lot lately and went to wash the car. I noticed that the back-up lens had condensation in both lights. The car is a little over a year old. Seems like prolong condensation would cause corrosion and early failure of the light. I recall having one replaced in the first few weeks of owning the car for an intermittent failure. I wonder if there is a vent for the light and this is normal/by design? I looked around and couldn't find anything that referenced a vent/breather. On the list to discuss with dealer on next service interval.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:16 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Originally Posted by JRoach
surfer2001,
Same here. Its rained a lot lately and went to wash the car. I noticed that the back-up lens had condensation in both lights. The car is a little over a year old. Seems like prolong condensation would cause corrosion and early failure of the light. I recall having one replaced in the first few weeks of owning the car for an intermittent failure. I wonder if there is a vent for the light and this is normal/by design? I looked around and couldn't find anything that referenced a vent/breather. On the list to discuss with dealer on next service interval.
The 997 rear lights have vents
Old 01-31-2017, 02:04 AM
caslca
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you still have CPO? I had both of mine (.2s) swapped under CPO for condensation. The "Ambassador" tried to give me the "it's normal" spiel. I insisted they bring out the the master tech and he said "definitely not normal". Porsche had them ordered and replaced.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:58 PM
jrandsu
Track Day

I found out why my 06 CTT had water in the tail lights. Looks like the bulbs got really hot and melted/warped the housing.

This is the view from the top.

Quick Reply: Condensation in my tail lights