$40k-50k range: 997.2 C2 or 997.1 C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 02:52 AM
NorthCoastDoug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
997.2s over a 997.1s no doubt
dang, i love those carrera sport wheels.

A similar question.... for between 65k and 70k, would you buy a 997.1 TT 6MT or a 997.2 GTS? I've never driven either so I'm not qualified to opine, but I think I'd go withe the TT.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:47 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Turbo all the way but know that its maintenance costs are more. The major services requires an engine drop and plan on getting the coolant pipes pinned and replaced. Go to the TT forum and read up on things.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:06 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

I'd only go with a 997.2 GTS if you want PDK otherwise turbo.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:15 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

As to OP.. 997.2 base over 997.1 C2S... definitely 997.2 base.

However.. the base car would have to have the performance options I'm looking for, not just be newer.

As to the post above 65-70k GTS vs Turbo;

GTS all day. I didn't even consider the Turbo as I wasn't interested in the heavier softer car with AWD. Having had my GTS nearly a year I still wouldn't consider a Turbo. And when I go to buy another 911 (to add to the GTS, not replace).. I also won't consider a Turbo.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Fined brought up good point options are a BIG DEAL
sport chrono is good thing to have..
SPASM LSD rear diff is also..

I will continue to say I think its absolutely stupid that Porsche did not make a limited slip diff standard on these cars when all corvettes come with them... just saying and the stingray come standard with electronic.

especially with GTS models... give them the x51 powerpack but actually want to track the car got to find someone who optioned one out with LSD...hard to find.

all 4s 4GTS and Turbo models come with electronic awd and LSDs.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:32 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

pretty sure I am the guy needing your comprehension class so here goes....

"HP is about the same"... yeah but its not the same, its less..to add 10hp real HP with some bolt ons costs $. If the base 997.2 had +10 more hp then a 997.1s that would be a big deal?...but less so brush it off. Oh and braking is "about the same" so lets just forget that right? as new brakes may only run you 4-7K.... I mean who wants better performing brakes, so minor? The ride height is also "about the same".... hey 4K in some coil overs may fix that.... and the wheels are only 1' different so they too are "about the same"; no worries just spend another 3-5k on some decent 19 wheels.... go buy silver gauge set and swap that out and exhaust tips I mean they are practically free for the taking at any junk yard and also "about the same". (minor sure but different, when I had a base 997 first mod was to swap out the black gauges) and the sound ... the 997.2 cars have a fairly muted exhaust note. Comparing a 997.1s to a 997.2 again the 997.1s will sound much better.... the 997.2 does have the updated motor and that is big, real BIG no doubt as without that it would a zero comparison....

Being just a little better is what Porsche does; in making the S vs the none S. Porsche did it with the Turbo and the the Turbo S. The gt3rs is not a billion times better then a gt3 but better. Some enthusiasts want that more even if minor.

997.1s next to a base 997.2 (as seen in a few pics) are IMO very different looking cars. Sure one can mod the 997.2 but not what we are talking about here. Base 997 stock looks well, base, a bit anemic and that wheel gap is not "about the same" that is is for certain. Next to one another I see a huge difference....start them up and wind em out and one will sound better as well in the 997.1s.

I will take a better the better looking 911 with better braking, better performing, more HP, nicer wheels, that sounds better in the 997.1S car then an updated PCM screen, marginally better MPG and some LED rears any day. The last thing I looked at when buying a fun car in a Porsche was a difference in 1-2 mpg....when comparing honda civic vs ford focus maybe but not with p cars.

Resale? time will tell... look at the 993s cars selling today near 80-100k and look at the base 993 cars selling today for 50-60k. If your someone hoping your 997 will some day be a collector item know that many times the base cars are worth fair less then the higher model line.

I will close with stating the base 997.2 cars are great cars (same with 997.1 base cars) but to dismiss some key differences as "about the same" I don't get when the brand itself differentiates their cars many times by very small things.

997.1s vs base 997.2 I prefer the 1.S for notes made but the 997.2 is a great car, IMO really depends on what is important to the buyer. (comparing manual cars only in my comments)
PDK vs Tip I would take the 997.2 all day over a 997.1s
Comparing a 997.1s vs a .2s.... the 2s all day.

Originally Posted by Iceter
I think some posters are missing the gist of the question. If I am reading correctly, he is asking if, for similar money, he should choose a .1 S or a .2 non S. .2 S was NOT one of the options. And he didn't ask about an early car loaded with options versus a later car that was a stripped out car. I don't even know how anyone interpreted his question that way. Bad reading comprehension, I guess.

I said, given the choice of those two cars optioned out similarly, I would choose the .2. HP is about the same. The only thing you get of any worth with the .1 S is larger brakes and 19" wheels (and even with that, there are plenty of non S cars with 19" wheels out there). Everything else is cosmetic.

With the .2 you get a better engine with better mileage. If you get the auto trans, the PDK is better in every way. You get a touchscreen instead of ***** on the PCM/Nav and LED DRLs and tail lights. You even get higher resale value. What's not like?

Last edited by mickfluff; 01-23-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:37 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Not sure if serious. You don't feel 10hp in a 350 hp car. A clean air filter and fresh oil change is probably more substantial. Look for a used quality wheel like BBS or HRE to reduce rotational mass and you are there or exceed the 10hp. Sell the wheels separately down the road and get 95% of your money back.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:02 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Originally Posted by chsu74
Not sure if serious. You don't feel 10hp in a 350 hp car. A clean air filter and fresh oil change is probably more substantial. Look for a used quality wheel like BBS or HRE to reduce rotational mass and you are there or exceed the 10hp. Sell the wheels separately down the road and get 95% of your money back.
More is well, more... Of course its not much, my point is to merely dismiss it as a none factor isn't really fair given so many things are close in these cars. Porsche as a company is a marvel at making small things matter. Like a 3.6 or a 3.8....such a small difference especially when you look at other cars who have a base and a none base car. (Ford mustang for example, base vs a GT, or BMW M vs base cars talking huge differences unlike P cars) The X51 package adds how much HP and costs how much? but people want it...the performance difference is marginal when X51 cars and S are compared. (some prefer how the car revs and how the power comes in actually in the none X51 cars...) I would gander the brakes for street use also would feel the same but drive the car hard or track and the 997.1s brakes should perform better. Same with street drive handling.... but when driving more aggressive (or track or DE etc) the suspension and ride height on the 997.1s may come more into play.

Where to spend money (wheels, suspension, LED lights, exhaust note or other) to make up these differences I think would be a whole other chapter. But completely understand what your saying. Not only will a wheel upgrade make up the HP likely they would look a hell of a lot better then the stock base 18s IMO

The cars are very close on many levels and yes the HP as well but the cars being so close in many areas I believe is why the debate exists. Both wonderful cars no doubt...again really depends on what is important to the owner.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:30 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mickfluff
More is well, more..
Exactly. So why would anyone pay more for a mass produced older car?
Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

I thought the .2 base had the same brakes as the. 1S.. at least the calipers and rotors swap so that's why I thought that.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:54 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Exactly. So why would anyone pay more for a mass produced older car?

but feel free to review prior comments comparing the two cars.

Now which maybe the better choice or the better value/car/performer/other is subject to which may have higher production numbers? Wrong forum, proceed to air cooled section for that. (at least for the next 10 years and hopefully longer here in 997 land) Regards to 997 cars production numbers really don not matter all that much. Personally hope that never happens to the water cooled car world as the shift from the majority of the air cooled cars in the hands of true enthusiast/driving those cars to "look at what my air cooled cars is now worth..." sucks.... Worst thing to happen to the real Porsche enthusiast landscape is when it all became about the appreciation and less about the cars, owning them, driving them, modding them etc. but I digress....

back on topic...
Old 01-23-2017, 12:08 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by platinum997
I thought the .2 base had the same brakes as the. 1S.. at least the calipers and rotors swap so that's why I thought that.
Exactly. Funny how some people will justify their overpayment on a car to no end.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:21 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

997.1 = IMS
997.2 = NO IMS

that alone should just answer the question for you.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:22 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by platinum997
Not sure on this fact..can someone verify?

BTW can you get an LSD on a base Carrera?
Old 01-23-2017, 12:24 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Exactly. Funny how some people will justify their overpayment on a car to no end.

Now you know what everyone is paying for their car? Someone hire this guy and put him on tour.

OP basically asking for differences between the two cars for the most part...
I mean I guess I could buy one car and then list all the reasons the car I chose not to buy maybe better? Both have pro's and cons and again (maybe third time now stating this) I think more depends on what the owner is looking for and the actual two cars being compared as few two cars are alike.

For myself the car I choose to buy 997.1s (1 owner, came with 20K in after market quality mods, well optioned from factory all for the price of a base 997.2 with similar miles 20k range) No need for any justification there.

Brakes
I believe the 997.2 calipers are closed so as far as brake pad swap a PITS and for 997.2 requires caliper removal. But could be wrong...I was under the impression the brakes had some other differences between the 997.1s and 997.2 but again maybe incorrect.

Last edited by mickfluff; 01-23-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: $40k-50k range: 997.2 C2 or 997.1 C2S?