Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Semi-solid engine mounts - 3000rpm vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

WHY do u have those to begin with? Do you track every weekend? If not, just switch to OEM and problem solved. If your car is old, NEW engine mounts would be an improvement over older ones anyway.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,168 Likes on 3,932 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
WHY do u have those to begin with? Do you track every weekend? If not, just switch to OEM and problem solved. If your car is old, NEW engine mounts would be an improvement over older ones anyway.
I don't track mine and have RSS semi solid engine mounts, Bilstein Damptronics, full stage 2 RSS setup with Tarett monoball top links, adj sway bars and drop links, TPC DSC box, etc. Is it overkill, probably, but for those times when I'm doing spirited mountain driving, the car just handles superbly.

I did the RSS mounts before any of the other mods and initially there was a slight vibration at around 3,000 rpm, but it has either dissipated on it's own or I just have tuned it out as I don't hear it anymore. The RSS mounts improved shifting accuracy, and really helped to tame the engine weight wallowing over road undulations along with the feeling with the stock mounts where you can feel the engine weight swinging to the outside after turn initiation in high speed corners. The RSS mounts are a big improvement even in regular driving. My OEM mounts weren't worn out and only had about 45k mikes on them. I just installed them into my wife's 95k mile C2S as hers were sagging and they'll now serve her well for many more miles.

With my setup, the car is still very streetable and I regularly take it on 2-5 hour trips.

Maybe that helps to explain why he wants this type of mount in the first place.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:44 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
I don't track mine and have RSS semi solid engine mounts, Bilstein Damptronics, full stage 2 RSS setup with Tarett monoball top links, adj sway bars and drop links, TPC DSC box, etc. Is it overkill, probably, but for those times when I'm doing spirited mountain driving, the car just handles superbly.

I did the RSS mounts before any of the other mods and initially there was a slight vibration at around 3,000 rpm, but it has either dissipated on it's own or I just have tuned it out as I don't hear it anymore. The RSS mounts improved shifting accuracy, and really helped to tame the engine weight wallowing over road undulations along with the feeling with the stock mounts where you can feel the engine weight swinging to the outside after turn initiation in high speed corners. The RSS mounts are a big improvement even in regular driving. My OEM mounts weren't worn out and only had about 45k mikes on them. I just installed them into my wife's 95k mile C2S as hers were sagging and they'll now serve her well for many more miles.

With my setup, the car is still very streetable and I regularly take it on 2-5 hour trips.

Maybe that helps to explain why he wants this type of mount in the first place.
Overkill is an understatement! I don't know where do you live, but even here with decent roads with little snow and potholes, my car is sporty enough to being streetable, I can't even do sports mode for suspension, let alone sportier suspension, solid mounts, etc... I guess everyone's tolerance is different.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Overkill is an understatement! I don't know where do you live, but even here with decent roads with little snow and potholes, my car is sporty enough to being streetable, I can't even do sports mode for suspension, let alone sportier suspension, solid mounts, etc... I guess everyone's tolerance is different.
You should get TPC's DSC box if you don't have it already. Being able to do custom settings for Normal mode that are nice and soft when there aren't g-loads but allow it to stiffen automatically for on-ramps and any evasive maneuvers, makes a world of difference in the usability of the car. Then you still have a second Sport setting that can start firmer and stiffen faster for times when you know you'll be pushing it. My car in Normal mode rides smoother and softer with better control than my wife's stock C2S in normal mode.

Last edited by Petza914; 09-20-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:38 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
You should get TPC's DSC box if you don't have it already. Beingable to do custom settings forward Normal mode that are nice and soft when there aren't g-loads but allow it to stiffen automatically forward on-ramps and any evasive maneuvers makes a world of difference in the usability of t HR e car. Then you still Hf ace a second Sport setting t that can start firmer and stiffen faster for times when you know you'll be pushing it. My car in Normal mode rides smoother and softer with better control than my wife's stock C2S in normal mode.
+1 ... I think the DSC box is the most cost-effective, and valuable mods out there. I see no downside. It improves the overall driveability of these cars in all aspects. Easy is an understatement as you can install it and remove it in 5 mnts each... and then resell it if you don;t like it.... but you won;t do that.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
kpatler (08-01-2020)
Old 09-21-2017, 12:29 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
+1 ... I think the DSC box is the most cost-effective, and valuable mods out there. I see no downside. It improves the overall driveability of these cars in all aspects. Easy is an understatement as you can install it and remove it in 5 mnts each... and then resell it if you don;t like it.... but you won;t do that.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
If I keep the car, will do. Question is for 997.1, I believe we need to add another sensor, no?
Old 09-21-2017, 12:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If I keep the car, will do. Question is for 997.1, I believe we need to add another sensor, no?
Yes, you need to add the 3-axis accelerometer that ties into the canbus back at the DME under the Bose subwoofer to provide the dsc box with the inputs it needs to dynamically adjust the suspension. If you have a .1 Turbo or a .2, the car already has one of these from Porsche so it's not necessary - only needed to add for .1 non-turbos.

Quick Reply: Semi-solid engine mounts - 3000rpm vibration