MGibilisco
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Break granted. I ask that you give me one in return
Old 01-15-2017, 08:24 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read the technical article by Hartech. If you are still worried change the thermostat to a lower temp version and stay on top of oil changes. Then don't worry.
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (08-06-2020)
Old 01-15-2017, 08:31 PM
ervin881
Instructor

https://www.hartech.org/images/downl...0(interim).pdf

This one.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:44 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think the bore scoring is sufficiently documented in all forums on the net.
My stance on bore scoring is that it is part of the 997.1 engine design, sufficiently documented, which can lead to catastrophic engine failure if you are the unlucky person. It cost you 20K or more so that is the certainty in the equitation.

If you want to have more peace of mind, open up the wallet and buy a 997.2 which has no IMS and a nihil bore scoring failure rate.

This is the theory, the practice is driving the car and enjoy. Keep 20K on the bank and you are bullet proof.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:27 PM
MGibilisco
Instructor

Thanks for the link and responses.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:38 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

[QUOTE=Rikky001;13885782]

If you want to have more peace of mind, open up the wallet and buy a 997.2 which has no IMS and a nihil bore scoring failure rate.

QUOTE]

No IMS but I wish the 2nd part was true. There have been several recent cases of scoring with .2's
Old 01-15-2017, 11:01 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Mgibilisco... I have the same car you do. Got it for such a good price that I can pay for a rebuild and still be right-side-up. That was how I justified buying it. Then I did some deep research (I'm a mechanical engineer) and no longer think the scoring is inevitable or random. There's a clear link to cause and effect and Hartech documents it in their article (I have no Hartech affiliation). I know the article is long and technical, but if you read it and maintain accordingly, you can drive with peace of mind.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:31 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Rikky001

Not true on the bore score and .2's. Like I stated above, my friends .2 threw a D-Chunk at 42k miles. Meticulously maintained.

It's just the luck of the draw.

Just drive the car, maintain it well, and leave the boogie man in the closet.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:47 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MGibilisco
To answer a few of the "why didn't you search?" Silly newbie, don't waste our forum space type of responses...

My reading of this forum seems to indicate that bore scoring instances are increasing in these cars as they age. This is just my opinion, and i thought perhaps others may have the same concerns and would like to chime in.

For those that have a problem with the posting, simply ignore it.

This is supposed to be a an enthusiast forum and place for Q&A and mutual love of these cars, not a place to chastise.

In the future, I'll stick to quality questions such as "Should I install Lambo doors"
Newbie or not first do your homework and search the forum. If you have any questions after that you will find a much warmer reception. Members cannot be expected to regurgitate the same material over and over again to save you the effort.

As to those responses which tell you to just change the oil and you will not have to be concerned: just not true. Sorry mate. Buy a 997.1 and make sure you bank acct can cover the motor replacement. The borescope is your friend.

Good luck
Old 01-16-2017, 12:31 AM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to do a bore scope on #3 and #6. Both are very accessible. Cheap bore scopes available on amazon make this a simple job that can be done in under 30 minutes. Otherwise have an indie do it for you. Knowing the condition will help rest easier or decide on next course of action if scoring is present. Flying blind otherwise.

I look at the possibility of rebuilding as a positive thing. I purchased my car very well and factored in a possible rebuild down the line. Part of the fun...

Originally Posted by MGibilisco
First time 997 owner, but have owned many P cars prior.

Sooo, I bought my '06 997 C4S in July w/91k miles on it and have driven it about 8-900 miles since purchasing it. The car is great, and serves as a second car/weekend cruiser. My issue, is that I've been reading this forum and scaring the HECK out of myself.

With the car being an '06, I've kind of gotten past the IMS scare in my mind and just planned to shell out for the LNE replacement for piece of mind, but now I've been reading these bore scoring horror stories.

Are these .1 cars bad news? It doesn't seem like bore scoring can necessarily be prevented? Gambling with a 20k ish engine rebuild seems dumb.

Dump it? Trade it? It's in winter storage currently, and I'm not sure what to do when it comes out.

Thoughts?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:44 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Want to really scare the noobs? I bet most don't know they bought a 911 without a mechanical locking diff... this especially goes for GTS owners rofl....

Porsche it's all about the options
Old 01-16-2017, 01:24 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by German888
I wouldn't hesitate to do a bore scope on #3 and #6. Both are very accessible. Cheap bore scopes available on amazon make this a simple job that can be done in under 30 minutes. Otherwise have an indie do it for you. Knowing the condition will help rest easier or decide on next course of action if scoring is present. Flying blind otherwise.

I look at the possibility of rebuilding as a positive thing. I purchased my car very well and factored in a possible rebuild down the line. Part of the fun...
Sure you can check some of them but #4 was the one that went on mine. All the rest were perfect!!

And my rebuild was fun......after it was paid for and I got the car back
Old 01-16-2017, 02:22 PM
MGibilisco
Instructor

Must admit, after reading about the Nickies 4.0 rebuild I was kinda psyched! Except for the whole paying for it part...

Oh well, hopefully that will be a ways down the road..hopefully.
The following users liked this post:
IrishLegend (08-03-2020)
Old 01-16-2017, 02:48 PM
pavster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 997.1 new I discovered this forum because I like a little community. It immediately scared me and made me regret the purchase. What did I do? Stopped coming to the forum. Came back about 6 years later once I started thinking about mods. So far the car has been flawless, 8 years and 50k miles. If it breaks at this point I feel like I've gotten my money's worth and I'll happily spend $20k to get a better engine.

FYI ALL Porsches have bore scoring issues. Go read Panamera and Cayenne forums.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:02 PM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that #4 is tough. Odd it was the one to go on yours given all the evidence of #6,5 going first.

BTW, Id love an update on how great that 4.0 is treating you. Give us frozen tundra folks something nice to feed on...

Also I'd love to have one of the rebuilder's answer the question of just "how good" is a rebuilt M/96 & M/97 engine after it's had the "full meal deal" from someone like Flat 6 or Hartech? Can it be compared to the revered Metzger as far as reliability and longevity? Sure would be nice to know if the value proposition is intact on the full rebuild.

I'm deep into research mode on my rebuild and may end up putting it off until the signs are beginning to pile up. As it stands I have visual evidence but not using oil or smoking out the back or odd ticking sounds.

Originally Posted by vern1
Sure you can check some of them but #4 was the one that went on mine. All the rest were perfect!!

And my rebuild was fun......after it was paid for and I got the car back

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMS & bore scoring = scared newbie