Sponsored by:

Damned AC buttons-- a fix???

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

So how are you supposed to adjust them down instead? Telekinesis?
Using your finger on the upper or lower section of the switches, as simple as that. Is what most people with still-lasting original switches are doing on their cars.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:58 PM
renncayman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_
With all of the other red flags with this vendor, you can't possible dismiss that photo as "lighting"...

If you're willing to chance it, order a set and post the results.
I might order a set... but I´m happy with my version 3 switches.

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
You need to get your eyes checked....LensCrafters lesson 1. This very obvious and has nothing to do with low lux AND cellphone capture. Look at the TEMP font, placement location, the fan icon size and location in respect to the tab's edge. Look at the size of them and the placement. Look at the horizontal ribs or lack of the crease on the top.
And you need to get your education checked.

I don't mind the different TEMP font and location as long as it looks nice & OEM. Maybe the first product was a beta tester that they have improved, who knows. We haven't seen yet a member posting a real picture of the actual product. And by that I mean regular, plain picture of the button installed in the dash from driver's perspective, which is what really matters.
I'm pretty sure none of us went to a Porsche dealer to complain about our worn buttons but some of you guys are going too far against John from Climarepair. He is trying to put a good product on the market and I think he is doing a great job! He promised a better product a few months back and nobody gave credit. Now that he has finally come with a better looking product some are trying to (ruin?) his business. If it was your business I'm sure you would like that.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:25 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I have a pair coming. I will provide photos and an unbiased opinion of how the Revolution version compares to the brand new v2 and brand new v3 switches I have in the cabinet. I had installed a pair of the v2 ones in one of my cars and was not happy with the fit, finish, performance, or durability so after I get the Revolution versions installed, I can provide periodic updates on how they're holding up to the same use that the v2 switches were subjected to, which is in my wife's car that gets driven more often than mine. We're going to use them the same way we used the OEM switches - no special techniques for where to press, how to press, going through the clean room and wearing gloves before touching the coating etc.

Kudos to John for making the effort to satisfy some of us early adopters that were not previously happy customers.

Pete
John, I have a question as the switches you sent me arrived today. Weren't there versions 1, 2, & 3 before the Revolution series, effectively making them version 4?

I thought you were sending me Revolution Switches to evaluate, but one bag clearly has v3 in black marker and I don't know what's written on the other bag. If you guys shipped me v3 versions (which it looks like from the baggie), we're not off to a very good start.

Please explain. Thanks.

I'll try to get out my other versions for a comparison when I get back from a trip late this week.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:21 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

. Petza and Clima, please make the reaction of this issue public. Clima has a history if lying about offline discussions, even after they get cut and posted from their own emails.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosm3os
. Petza and Clima, please make the reaction of this issue public. Clima has a history if lying about offline discussions, even after they get cut and posted from their own emails.
My goal here is to provide a completely unbiased opinion of what are supposed to be the current Climarepair offering - their Revolution series. I'll post all my comments here and John should do the same for the others enjoying their popcorn.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:20 PM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Batch going in for refinishing

I just thought I would post a pic of five sets that we're about to refinish. Its amazing what owners have been putting up with. These things go bad all over!

Old 02-05-2019, 03:20 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

John, I have a question as the switches you sent me arrived today. Weren't there versions 1, 2, & 3 before the Revolution series, effectively making them version 4?

I thought you were sending me Revolution Switches to evaluate, but one bag clearly has v3 in black marker and I don't know what's written on the other bag. If you guys shipped me v3 versions (which it looks like from the baggie), we're not off to a very good start.

Please explain. Thanks.

I'll try to get out my other versions for a comparison when I get back from a trip late this week.
My goal here is to provide a completely unbiased opinion of what are supposed to be the current Climarepair offering - their Revolution series. I'll post all my comments here and John should do the same for the others enjoying their popcorn.
Hello Pete,

No you didn't received "Climarepair V3´s", you received a set of climarepair Revolution. The thing is that with every new release we have several internal designations for all the slight different variants that we test and end up choosing as "winner variant" before launching. For example, with Climarepair V3's we had internal designation V3A, V3B, V3C, etc. Usually those variants differ from each other in terms of lettering size, varnish type, color RAL, etc. So with Climarepair revolution, the internal designation was RevoV1, RevoV2, etc.

Thats why sometimes it takes a few weeks or even a whole month from the date we announce a new product release to the date we actually start shipping. Once we have a valid version of the product (i.e. Climarepair Revolution) we announce it, then we test it on several cars several days/weeks so that different people can test them and give input. With that input from the different variants (RevoV1, RevoV2, etc.) we finally choose the best variant to go on the market. Sometimes we will choose a variant that doesn't look as good as the other but gives a better performance and longevity under constant use on hard weather, for instance. With Revolution, we though about giving the rubberized finish to the switches (just like the originals provided by Porsche from 2004 to late 2006) but we finally decided to choose the variant that Porsche introduced on 2007 as standard, which is not rubberized and which do not wear off. We think it just makes more sense.

You should have received your order in a brand new, unmarked baggie, but as we wanted to send you a pair of switches ASAP, we just took one of the bags laying around our desk. We didn't mind if it was RevoV1, RevoV2 or RevoV3 because all of them are great and we knew you would like any of them better than the previous versions.

Hope you can find the time to install and test them to give your 2 cents to the community.

Edit: And to clarify, the one of the bags you received has a "D" because it was a bag that was previously used to keep a set of Climarepair V3D in the past

Regards,
John

Last edited by Climarepair.com; 02-05-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:20 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MAcarbon
I just thought I would post a pic of five sets that we're about to refinish. Its amazing what owners have been putting up with. These things go bad all over!

MA, do we have to avoid touching certain areas of your buttons like you do with the other guy to prevent recurrence of problem?
Old 02-05-2019, 03:28 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

MA, do we have to avoid touching certain areas of your buttons like you do with the other guy to prevent recurrence of problem?
Nah. After a year with my fat fingers they still look brand new.

Last edited by TheBruce; 02-05-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:35 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Nah. After a year with my fat fingers they still look brand new.
Fat, men fingers are actually better than thin, women fingers IMO. We have so many female customers. Thinner fingers usually induce nails to touch the edges of the buttons, whereas fat fingers usually have a bigger fingerprint that covers the whole button, making for a softer press. On the other hand, women tend to use lotions and wear rings more than men do. This is maybe gettin too technical on a simple button, but it is true
Old 02-05-2019, 04:10 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by renncayman
I don't mind the different TEMP font and location as long as it looks nice & OEM. Maybe the first product was a beta tester that they have improved, who knows. We haven't seen yet a member posting a real picture of the actual product. And by that I mean regular, plain picture of the button installed in the dash from driver's perspective, which is what really matters.
I'm pretty sure none of us went to a Porsche dealer to complain about our worn buttons but some of you guys are going too far against John from Climarepair. He is trying to put a good product on the market and I think he is doing a great job! He promised a better product a few months back and nobody gave credit. Now that he has finally come with a better looking product some are trying to (ruin?) his business. If it was your business I'm sure you would like that.
There's your answer below. If you're ok with being a beta tester then that's on you. The pictures John @ Climarepair posted do not more match and are very misleading. Now he's stating that there are multiple revisions of a version in which he should have mentioned that from the beginning. Now consumers are left wondering which ones they are receiving, no consistency. I'm all about DIY and having options but please don't include me in the "trying to ruin his business" group; I'm just stating the obvious.

Like many and with great success I've sent my cores to John @ MA Carbon. I've received the MA Carbon switches within a week (along with a nice gift pack), excellent communication, smooth transaction, located in the Bay Area, installed them the same day and have the now have look and feel of a fresh set of OEM switches. No games, no BS and they have been working fine.

Originally Posted by Climarepair.com
Hello Pete,

No you didn't received "Climarepair V3´s", you received a set of climarepair Revolution. The thing is that with every new release we have several internal designations for all the slight different variants that we test and end up choosing as "winner variant" before launching. For example, with Climarepair V3's we had internal designation V3A, V3B, V3C, etc. Usually those variants differ from each other in terms of lettering size, varnish type, color RAL, etc. So with Climarepair revolution, the internal designation was RevoV1, RevoV2, etc.

Thats why sometimes it takes a few weeks or even a whole month from the date we announce a new product release to the date we actually start shipping. Once we have a valid version of the product (i.e. Climarepair Revolution) we announce it, then we test it on several cars several days/weeks so that different people can test them and give input. With that input from the different variants (RevoV1, RevoV2, etc.) we finally choose the best variant to go on the market. Sometimes we will choose a variant that doesn't look as good as the other but gives a better performance and longevity under constant use on hard weather, for instance. With Revolution, we though about giving the rubberized finish to the switches (just like the originals provided by Porsche from 2004 to late 2006) but we finally decided to choose the variant that Porsche introduced on 2007 as standard, which is not rubberized and which do not wear off. We think it just makes more sense.

You should have received your order in a brand new, unmarked baggie, but as we wanted to send you a pair of switches ASAP, we just took one of the bags laying around our desk. We didn't mind if it was RevoV1, RevoV2 or RevoV3 because all of them are great and we knew you would like any of them better than the previous versions.

Hope you can find the time to install and test them to give your 2 cents to the community.

Edit: And to clarify, the one of the bags you received has a "D" because it was a bag that was previously used to keep a set of Climarepair V3D in the past

Regards,
John
Old 02-07-2019, 02:54 AM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Default Fingers

I think you can use the switches as Porsche intended. I will say that the factory finish appears to disintegrate on all parts of the switch equally.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:14 AM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Like many and with great success I've sent my cores to John @ MA Carbon. I've received the MA Carbon switches within a week (along with a nice gift pack), excellent communication, smooth transaction, located in the Bay Area, installed them the same day and have the now have look and feel of a fresh set of OEM switches. No games, no BS and they have been working fine.
Thanks Desmo. I'm glad you liked them. I've enjoyed this project immensely. The fun ones are the projects that result in products that solve a problem. I have to say thanks again to The Bruce for asking me to investigate this back in 2017. The Bruce's next suggestion/request was something to replace the 997.1 PCM.... I have not done anything on that!

One thing that had put some people off was was excessive amount our website was charging for shipping. FedEx (via a widget on the site) was quoting $24-ish for shipping. In fact, we have always charged a flat $20-ish for Priority Mail shipping - which included both outbound and core return postage. After someone placed an order, I would email to let them know we were sending it out via USPS and in the box would be the pre-paid label for the return. And any excess shipment charge was refunded. In the last two weeks, we finally were able to update the website to reflect that shipping policy. So now there is no confusion. Glad we finally got that taken care of.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:27 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Lets play a game. What do you guys think of this ****? Looks great or bad?

Name:  MjsQMeq.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  950.6 KB

Yeah, I bet several of you though this **** doesn't look "too good". Is not worn, but you can see some imperfections on it, right? Well... sorry to say this ***** is the original (not aftermarket or restored) from a late 2007 997.

Lets take a closer look.

Name:  DkcFPpf.jpg
Size:  506.3 KB

Remember, this is a picture. In reality things tend to look better.

A bit closer....

Name:  aItayEx.jpg
Size:  40.9 KB

So the original ***** have the same "grainy" finish some folks talked about when watching pictures from Climarepair Revolution. Important to note this is a picture, in reality they do look smooth as you know (I'm talking about OEM and Revo´s).

We are able to produce much softer, smoother finish if we want. Take a look at this variant of Revo we tested a few months back:

Name:  Bk5m10z.jpg
Size:  485.0 KB

Yes, it looks very soft and smooth, but IT IS NOT THE ORIGINAL FINISH.

The reason why we finally chose the other finish is simple: If we want to keep the value of our beloved cars high, we need to keep it as original as possible!

Regards,
John

Last edited by Climarepair.com; 02-10-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

These aren't classic air cooled Porsches so I disagree that values drop with things like HVAC switches that don't look like originals, especially if they look better than originals.

For examples:
  1. if someone like Rennline made anodized aluminum versions of these HVAC toggles with their precision machining, who here wouldn't rather have a high quality, highly durable, metal piece in place of a crappy plastic one - I would. Anything that's an improvement to the original design, doesn't detract from the value on a 997.
  2. Is my car worth less because it has braided stainless brake lines that will now last the life of the car, not rupture, not internally swell and limit the fluid flow, like the original rubber ones would now that they're 14 years old - I don't think so.
  3. Is a 997 worth less if it has Function First metal shifter cable ends that won't fatigue and break over time like the OEM plastic ones will and do, stranding you on the side of the road - I don't think so.
  4. And the most exteme case - is a 997 with an original IMS bearing that's prone to fail and takeout the entire motor worth more than one that has been properly upgraded - I don't think so.
Porsche can't afford to make things as good as they could possibly be as the cars would be so far out of reach that the sales numbers would plummet. They have to compromise here and there with good enough, but once a deficiency is identified and an owner goes to the trouble and expense of correcting that deficiency, I for one would much rather use an upgraded part than one that was made the same way and will have the same problems as the OEM part, wouldn't you.

Those toggles in the last photo with the smooth finish are the ones you should have decided to manufacture. That's what the MA Carbon ones I have installed in my car look more like and they are nicer to touch than the grainy plastic finish of the originals.

Quick Reply: Damned AC buttons-- a fix???