Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damned AC buttons-- a fix???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 05:52 PM
bobs95
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You’re pretty much proving Cosm3os’ point -- they’re better than switches with peeling paint, but that’s about it.

If they were priced lower to match their quality they’d make economic sense, but they’re too close to the cost of MA Carbon’s refurbished switches. Why would anyone buy CR’s grainy 3D printed and spray-painted switches instead of switches that look exactly like they did when their cars were new? Especially now that there’s no waiting since MA Carbon has refurbished switches in stock, and delivery will be faster since they’re not coming from Spain?

CR was doing something unique, when we had no viable alternatives. But they put out poor quality switches, and matched that with poor customer service, opening the door for competitors. MA Carbon stepped in with superior quality switches, for only $25 more. Who wouldn’t pay that?
Old 08-06-2018, 06:02 PM
ric-ko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs95
You’re pretty much proving Cosm3os’ point -- they’re better than switches with peeling paint, but that’s about it.

If they were priced lower to match their quality they’d make economic sense, but they’re too close to the cost of MA Carbon’s refurbished switches. Why would anyone buy CR’s grainy 3D printed and spray-painted switches instead of switches that look exactly like they did when their cars were new? Especially now that there’s no waiting since MA Carbon has refurbished switches in stock, and delivery will be faster since they’re not coming from Spain?

CR was doing something unique, when we had no viable alternatives. But they put out poor quality switches, and matched that with poor customer service, opening the door for competitors. MA Carbon stepped in with superior quality switches, for only $25 more. Who wouldn’t pay that?
The proposition is that CR's customers wouldn't be happy. I am very happy. Not proving anybody's point -- they look great in my car.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:12 PM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Install today of some switches

Today, a local customer came in to get his switches replaced. He has a super clean '05 997 with only 40K on the clock. His car's interior was really nice except for the two AC switches. We swapped them out while he waited. Below are some pics.

A small clarification to what Ric-ko said about our process. Unlike the one or two other refinishing companies that have been mentioned, with MAcarbon, you do not have to send your switches to us. We first send you out a fresh set for you to install. (We invested in buying 10+ AC units from the various eBay recyclers.) The customer then has the choice of sending the old ones back or keeping them. We do charge a deposit on the cores which we refund when we get them back. So your car is down only for as long as it takes you to install the parts. To make it a little easier, we include a pre-printed return label. We give you a month to send back the old switches... so no pressure to do the swap immediately.

And... we've always included a free bottle of our interior detail spray with the AC switches. Its mild so it will not cloud the clear coat of carbon parts. Its also ideal for using on the various controls on the dash. Its just an $8 value but a little extra from us and fits perfectly in the glove box. Smells nice as well!

We currently have a few sets of switches in stock. If anyone still has not done theirs, there is no time like the present!

Old 09-02-2018, 07:56 AM
gooser
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An hello to all forum members. This is my first post. I have a 997 c4s and I live in Italy. No way for me to spend over 100 $ for two new simple plastic buttons. This is the solution I have made for my car: two stickers bought on line, enamel black paint to trim the edges, three coats of transparent satin spray and a lot of patience to disassemble/rieassemble the whole thing...
Old 09-02-2018, 02:07 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Feedback like this made our day

Name:  6eqPveQ.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  416.2 KB
Old 09-03-2018, 12:00 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,414 Likes on 2,689 Posts

I feel fortunate that the HVAC Temp/Fan buttons on my 2005 997S (from Texas )and my new to me 2007 997C4S (from San Francisco) are perfect originals.
Not sure why they haven't worn out at all as both cars were in hot climates where AC was used frequently?
Old 09-03-2018, 12:39 AM
sleepy_911
Track Day

Talking

Originally Posted by MAcarbon
Today, a local customer came in to get his switches replaced. He has a super clean '05 997 with only 40K on the clock. His car's interior was really nice except for the two AC switches. We swapped them out while he waited. Below are some pics.

A small clarification to what Ric-ko said about our process. Unlike the one or two other refinishing companies that have been mentioned, with MAcarbon, you do not have to send your switches to us. We first send you out a fresh set for you to install. (We invested in buying 10+ AC units from the various eBay recyclers.) The customer then has the choice of sending the old ones back or keeping them. We do charge a deposit on the cores which we refund when we get them back. So your car is down only for as long as it takes you to install the parts. To make it a little easier, we include a pre-printed return label. We give you a month to send back the old switches... so no pressure to do the swap immediately.

And... we've always included a free bottle of our interior detail spray with the AC switches. Its mild so it will not cloud the clear coat of carbon parts. Its also ideal for using on the various controls on the dash. Its just an $8 value but a little extra from us and fits perfectly in the glove box. Smells nice as well!

We currently have a few sets of switches in stock. If anyone still has not done theirs, there is no time like the present!

Thanks John at MAcarbon!

This was my 997.1 that had the sticky buttons when I bought it. They were the only thing that stood out in an otherwise really clean interior of this 911. I found MAcarbon through the Rennlist threads, heard they did great work and had the best buttons, and best of all, they were up the peninsula from where I lived.

The install took only about an hour and as you guys can see in the before and after, its night and day. Its as good as new. I highly recommend these guys and their product.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:09 AM
bobs95
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I feel fortunate that the HVAC Temp/Fan buttons on my 2005 997S (from Texas )and my new to me 2007 997C4S (from San Francisco) are perfect originals.
Not sure why they haven't worn out at all as both cars were in hot climates where AC was used frequently?
You're fortunate, especially with the car from Texas. Mine's been a Washington state car since new, with perfect buttons, until I damaged them while pulling the HU out to install the TransitBlu BT module. Couple nicks in the soft-touch paint...... But good as new now.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:39 PM
Gabriel Greece
1st Gear

Default Button Replacement

I just installed my replacement HVAC buttons from MAcarbon on my 997.1. They perform flawlessly and look like right from the factory. I can't say how bothered i was looking at buttons that were so worn down and showing white plastic. Now I just need to order some carbon fiber from them!!!
Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

We love this kind of emails

Name:  rPIcJXz.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  143.4 KB
Old 09-26-2018, 03:39 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for reminding me, Clima. I gotta order up my set of MACarbon switches . . .
Old 09-26-2018, 05:15 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
The buttons in the Texas car were probably seldom adjusted - Always ON ! Here in Dallas there's just a few weeks per year when it ain't runnin' !
Old 10-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by alwayswantedone
The buttons in the Texas car were probably seldom adjusted - Always ON ! Here in Dallas there's just a few weeks per year when it ain't runnin' !
Best thing is to keep them always on, for sure.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ric-ko
Not at all. I had V1, which "was better than what I had" and now have V2 which looks like it came with the car. Solid and fine. Very happy with them.

My understanding reading all of these posts is that he/they had a customer service issue with V1 and some customers. My experience with them -- customer service-- was excellent. V2 buttons are great-- completely unnoticeable from the drivers seat, they look like part of the dash. I *do* recommend them. (My v1's broke and CR replaced them-- I bet they have learned from all of the comments they continue to get).

But realize that he is doing something unique -- he is building new buttons, not resurfacing old ones. From my perspective when I bought, it was an ideal situation. I did not have to pull them out, sit the car with parts on my desk, ship the old buttons to a third party (there are many options for this), and have to wait for them to be shipped back to me. With these ones, I get the buttons from ClimaRepair (?) and I put them in in a half hour. It is a different experience and ideal form me and my daily driver.

As someone who started a business, I appreciate others who try and fill a market gap. I understand how customer service issues happen, and understand they didn't seem to handle them properly. But I started this thread 18 months ago, and I think the complaints are from V1 days. If we want folks to service our aging market, we should hope CR and others like him succeed. I like his (current) product and do NOT feel it is only better than what I had, but seems to look like part of the car.

Thanks Rick, appreciate it!

Like you, there are many customers that bought our product. Some of them are Rennlist members, many others are not. For that reason we became a Rennlist sponsor. We felt it was just the right thing to do to promote our product, which we feel fills a gap in the "Porsche enthusiast community".

We sell our product to different customers, indy shops and resellers all around the world. We want to keep our analytics on the privacy, but a few dozens of old, bad reviews on the forums really represents nothing compared to the amount of customers we have. All good, well named brands have bad reviews from unhappy customers. Thats ok. Its impossible to have a 100% satisfaction rate. No company has.
I'm a Porsche lover but I got really upset with the company when I suffered from IMS failure on my car a few years back. If you google "IMS failure" anyone not experienced with automobiles and/or with Porsche would think this brand (Porsche) really sucks, but we all know this is not true. There are many factors. From my honest experience, some customers are too good and thankful, others are just normal customers, others are a bit too impatient, others...

We really try to improve our product year after year. Some (very few, if not only one person here) say this is "using our customers as beta testers". Well say that to Apple, Ford, or even Porsche. The first iPhone didn't have 3G connection or multi-task capability... all their competitors had! Improving a product its normal, good and the only way to go.

We invest more than 15% of our profit in R & D (research and development), which is a lot. We try new paints, new clear coats, new materials, we test them on different weathers... If some are uncomfortable with that we are sorry, but if we find a way to improve a product we will.

All this said, we really love when customers like you, Stephen, or Tim take your time to write your positive experience with us. Thanks again Rick!

Last edited by Climarepair.com; 10-09-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:00 PM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Climarepair.com
We invest more than 15% of our profit in R & D (research and development), which is a lot. We try new paints, new clear coats, new materials, we test them on different weathers... If some are uncomfortable with that we are sorry, but if we find a way to improve a product we will.
So when can we expect V4 of your switches - and will THEY look more like OEM?

Quick Reply: Damned AC buttons-- a fix???