Sponsored by:

New aerokit/GT3 front bumper installed, finally

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:31 PM
Tom Feldmann
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
all OEM. Bumper from Circle Porsche online and vent from Rennline. I didn't want to get an aftermarket bumper just to save a few hundred bucks. There is so much area that meets the factory bodywork that if it weren't perfect the gaps would be extremely noticeable.
What's the OEM aerokit bumper made out of?
Old 12-30-2016, 02:43 AM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Gorgeous car! (though admittedly I'm biased...)

I did a similar look with a Vorsteiner front and rear GT3ish aero kit and love it, great way to add an subtle aggressive look to the car without going overboard. Interesting your comment on the 911R - prior to it's release I was looking to buy a wing, but now the look appears much more intentional so I'm torn...

Do you have other mods? Brakes and wheels appear to be upgraded, but it's late and I'm not trying to play expert so I just figured I would ask.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:37 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

$1450 bumper (circle porsche online)
$500 paint
$220 GT3 smile vent kit (rennline)
$35 DIY mesh grill
4-5 hrs my own labor

$400-500 clearbra going on in couple weeks (waiting for paint to cure/degas)
I am getting a lot of people sending me messages about the cost and other details, I am guessing they haven't read through all the posts on the thread, so I will copy this message again here again (and I guess I should add it to the beginning as well)
Old 01-05-2017, 12:45 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom Feldmann
What's the OEM aerokit bumper made out of?
Polyurathane would be my guess?

Originally Posted by AutobahnMac911
Gorgeous car! (though admittedly I'm biased...)

I did a similar look with a Vorsteiner front and rear GT3ish aero kit and love it, great way to add an subtle aggressive look to the car without going overboard. Interesting your comment on the 911R - prior to it's release I was looking to buy a wing, but now the look appears much more intentional so I'm torn...

Do you have other mods? Brakes and wheels appear to be upgraded, but it's late and I'm not trying to play expert so I just figured I would ask.
Cool, any pics of your car front and rear?

My other mods are very modest. OZ wheels, Eibach springs, the brakes are stock S brakes, window tint, headlight tint (not in these pictures), modified rear badging, painted rear exhaust tips and center bumper section, wheel spacers, PSS tires. I think that is it
Old 01-05-2017, 03:32 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

yup, has to be polyurethane - oem.

Polyurathane would be my guess?
Old 01-12-2017, 02:55 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Rodh, thanks for sharing the detail and car looks great if you didn't hear that yet..

Was it hard to find a shop to paint bumper for $500? Did they try to blend it or no need to?
Old 01-12-2017, 11:24 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 843 Posts

My car came with those same faux OZ centerlocks and I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of them. Front bumper looks sharp though.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:11 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
My car came with those same faux OZ centerlocks and I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of them. Front bumper looks sharp though.
i guess everyone has different taste because I looked like crazy for a good looking and quality set of wheels for under $4k and it isn't easy to find. Another thing I like about them is that if you don't like the center cap, it comes off and looks like a totally different set of wheels and it doesn't look like something is "missing" because it's designed to work either way.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:14 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AltVelo
Rodh, thanks for sharing the detail and car looks great if you didn't hear that yet..

Was it hard to find a shop to paint bumper for $500? Did they try to blend it or no need to?
no blend. I have a buddy who owns a shop. Not sure how much of a deal he gave me. I would think it shouldn't be too hard to find. I took him my old bumper off the car so he could match and he also had my new bumper and painted and gave it back to me. I did all the install, etc
Old 01-13-2017, 10:52 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

i guess everyone has different taste because I looked like crazy for a good looking and quality set of wheels for under $4k and it isn't easy to find. Another thing I like about them is that if you don't like the center cap, it comes off and looks like a totally different set of wheels and it doesn't look like something is "missing" because it's designed to work either way.
I haven't tried that but it is worth a shot. It wouldn't be as bar if they did not say "centerlock" on them as it only adds to the faux factor.

I do have my Champions which I prefer as they are true forged wheels. I will try removing the center caps and see how that looks.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:51 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

I haven't tried that but it is worth a shot. It wouldn't be as bar if they did not say "centerlock" on them as it only adds to the faux factor.

I do have my Champions which I prefer as they are true forged wheels. I will try removing the center caps and see how that looks.
Here is a picture. When you purchase the wheels it comes with a spare center cap if you chose to run it this way. Another option would be to run this centercap and get a Porsche shield for it. I kind of gave up the 5 spoke big polished lip-forged wheels over 10 years ago.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:15 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Here is a picture. When you purchase the wheels it comes with a spare center cap if you chose to run it this way. Another option would be to run this centercap and get a Porsche shield for it. I kind of gave up the 5 spoke big polished lip-forged wheels over 10 years ago.
Thanks for that. I do have some spare Porsche caps lying around and will play with it this weekend.

Do you know if these are forged or flow formed? I'm concerned with running non-forged wheels on a track.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:50 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I really, really like this. I bought my car with several mods I liked already done, like turbo rear deck and wing. This goes on my "to do" list. Lucky for me my old company I still on a small part of has a paint booth and maybe best color guy I know. ( late 60's and not retiring since loves what he does). The turbo wing and that front combo will really confuse folks.👍
Old 01-15-2017, 05:42 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that. I do have some spare Porsche caps lying around and will play with it this weekend.

Do you know if these are forged or flow formed? I'm concerned with running non-forged wheels on a track.
They are flow formed (or whatever OZ calls it). Supposedly the OZ are built to very high tolernaces, made in italy, etc... I felt comfortable going with OZ since they really don't do ANY "cheap" wheels and have a LOT of experience in track cars and also provide F1 wheels. I have had 3 piece fully forged wheels in the past that I have bent in the past (so it isn't like Forged wheels are foolproof either). I have NO issue taking these wheels to the track. Porsche even makes some cast wheels that people take to the track with no issues (lobsters are cast).
Old 01-15-2017, 12:58 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

First of all, sorry for derailing your thread, it was just the first time I had seen another car with my wheels.

I'm sure the wheels are fine for track use, as you said, OZ does have a history in Motorsports even though their track wheels are forged, they are not some fly-by-night company. I did try to put the Porsche center caps on yesterday but unfortunately, the sizing is different. Not a big deal. They look fine from 10 feet away with the plastic centers.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: New aerokit/GT3 front bumper installed, finally