Rennlist Member

Received 6,169 Likes on 3,933 Posts

Rod, it turned out great. Nice job.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:20 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
Ya, I absolutely love the 911R and always liked the idea of the GT3 front bumper with the classic 911 rear and then the R sort of justified the look I thought I was going for. I do sometimes thing about a 997.2 GT3 rear wing, not so much for the look but the track. I have always HATED wings on a 911. This is why I never liked turbos, I always felt like the whaletails obstruct the shape of the rear of the 911. That being said, some of these more pedistal type wings seem to look better to me. They allow the shape of the 911 to remain, and don't distort that because the wing is up and off of the car, and they provide downforce. In particular, I like the 997.2 GT3 wing the most, the 997.1 RS wing also works, as well as the 997.2 GT3 RS.

I just have this battle in my head of always hating the whaletail on the 911 and always hating wings on cars in general (unless its a race car). I am softening so it may happen some day. I also don't want it to be a gt3 wannabe, as most people don't know that the aerokit was actually offered as an option on the 997, even before the GT3 came out.
It looks great without a wing.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:14 PM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 278 Likes on 108 Posts

Beautiful
Old 12-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya, I absolutely love the 911R and always liked the idea of the GT3 front bumper with the classic 911 rear and then the R sort of justified the look I thought I was going for. I do sometimes thing about a 997.2 GT3 rear wing, not so much for the look but the track. I have always HATED wings on a 911. This is why I never liked turbos, I always felt like the whaletails obstruct the shape of the rear of the 911. That being said, some of these more pedistal type wings seem to look better to me. They allow the shape of the 911 to remain, and don't distort that because the wing is up and off of the car, and they provide downforce. In particular, I like the 997.2 GT3 wing the most, the 997.1 RS wing also works, as well as the 997.2 GT3 RS.

I just have this battle in my head of always hating the whaletail on the 911 and always hating wings on cars in general (unless its a race car). I am softening so it may happen some day. I also don't want it to be a gt3 wannabe, as most people don't know that the aerokit was actually offered as an option on the 997, even before the GT3 came out.

btw, you car looks great, any more pics?
I'm the opposite, I think the 911 looks naked without a wing.

Sure, here are some old pictures with the old iForged Swift wheels.

I haven't taken any new pictures of my 997 with the new AG M510 wheels. Been meaning to take it to a scenic place for some photos but never got around to it. I will take it when Spring rolls around, the mountains is full of snow this time of year and I'm running on summer tires (PSS). Here are some old ones at my house.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:06 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,169 Likes on 3,933 Posts

Ynot, the new wheels are SOOO much better. What a great looking car!
Old 12-14-2016, 04:19 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

i think with a standard front end the 911 looks fine without a wing.. but with the more aggressive front ends mated with a front lip, i defiantly feel that a rear wing is needed to balance things out.

very nice car.

Originally Posted by Ynot

Sure, here are some old pictures with the old iForged Swift wheels.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:05 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pderover
I have the exact same setup on my car (gt3 front - no spoiler) the one thing i noticed is the rear does get a little soft when you're driving above 75mph. You have more downforce in the front, but not the rear.
75 mph or 175mph? I just drove on an empty road on a long sweeping curve and was almost at 100mph and no rear end issues. I race karts, so I am always thinking and trying to assess how the car feels.

Not sure anything could be felt at 75MPH, for todays cars, that is very slow. Even a VW bug, which is probably the worst shape when talking about "lift", and a front engine, front wheel drive car, (all the wt being in the front) doesn't feel squirly at 75mph, so I am not surprised that I haven't had an issue around 100 so far.

Originally Posted by hpapad01
It is a safety issue and that's the reason Porsche does NOT recommend installing this bumper without adding a rear spoiler.
I have been doing a lot of research on the issue. A lot of 991 guys have been doing this mod and kind of laughed when I was acting so worried about the rear end.

I guess when you look at the very very minimalist diffuser on the 500 HP 911R it kind of makes sense.

My plan is to keep running this and then take it at higher speeds on the track and assess at that point, if it is an issue, the plan will me to get the $500 911R diffuser and modify it to fit my car (its made of plastic, so drilling a few holes to get it to fit, shouldn't be an issue) or to have a custom one made based on the 911R. I have already taken the measurements off of a 911R so it should be extremely easy to configure (if anyone wants the measurements let me know).
Old 12-14-2016, 06:09 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ynot
Whats wrong with Naked?
Porsche proves with the 911R that Naked is very sexy!!

Love your car, just not sure the rear wing is what I want at this stage.

Which wing did you go with?
Old 12-14-2016, 07:06 PM
vintage911
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I love it! Great work, RodH!
Old 12-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Ynot, the new wheels are SOOO much better. What a great looking car!
Yeah, thanks, still have my old ones, don't think I'll ever going back, it's much easier to clean as well.

Originally Posted by myw
i think with a standard front end the 911 looks fine without a wing.. but with the more aggressive front ends mated with a front lip, i defiantly feel that a rear wing is needed to balance things out.

very nice car.
Thanks! Yes, looks balance and complete with the rear wing.

Whats wrong with Naked?
Porsche proves with the 911R that Naked is very sexy!!

Love your car, just not sure the rear wing is what I want at this stage.

Which wing did you go with?
Nothing wrong with the being naked, just doesn't look complete is what I should say. The wing is the Vorsteiner carbon fiber GT3RS wing, Vorsteiner has discontinue all products for the 997.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:30 PM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice work RodH...gives me a little more incentive to get mine ordered and have the bumper and turbo wing installed!
Old 12-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Strelok
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the front clearance on rough roads and bumps? I really want to do this with H&R springs but I live in the city and the roads around me are terrible. I'm afraid I'd rip the whole thing off in the first mile of driving.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:03 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1450 bumper
$500 paint
$220 GT3 smile vent kit
$35 DIY mesh grill
4-5 hrs my own labor

$400-500 clearbra going on in couple weeks (waiting for paint to cure/degas)
Suncoast sells the kit for about $7k prior to paint. How'd you get it at $1450?
Is this a factory Gt3 part? Did I miss that somewhere? Curious because I have a white 2010 C2S and also like the 911R setup to include the PORSCHE graphics along the side. I've also contemplated the Suncoast PCCB kit at $15k. Yikes
Old 12-16-2016, 02:33 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Strelok
How's the front clearance on rough roads and bumps? I really want to do this with H&R springs but I live in the city and the roads around me are terrible. I'm afraid I'd rip the whole thing off in the first mile of driving.
The Clarence is absolutely horrible. I plasty dip that front lip for this very reason. I have to drive the car more like an exotic car. I am running Eibach springs and when I park next to a 997 GT three my car sits exactly the same. With the H&R springs you even be lower and scrape all over the place. Frankly, I think the H&R springs are too low for even a stock 997. The proportions for some reason just don't look right to me. I fully recognize that this is all personal opinion.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:46 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocco07
Suncoast sells the kit for about $7k prior to paint. How'd you get it at $1450?
Is this a factory Gt3 part? Did I miss that somewhere? Curious because I have a white 2010 C2S and also like the 911R setup to include the PORSCHE graphics along the side. I've also contemplated the Suncoast PCCB kit at $15k. Yikes
here are the details. The OEM aerokit is different than that GT3 in two ways.

1. The first being that the aero kit uses a Front lip that is the same material as the bumper and is meant to be painted. The GT three uses a traditional black rubber type material but the shape and the fitment is the exact same for both. So for me I plasty dip that lower lip which gives me the exact same visual effect and practical effect as the GT three version. Another solution is to buy the GT3 lip for about $100.

2. The aerokit does not have the smile vent located on top of the bumper. There is a kit that can be purchased for around $200 for the OEM vent, screen and all installation parts and template to cut the bumper with.

Thus this "aerokit" has the same visual effect as the GT3 bumper with the added advantage of still being an OEM part. The joke is or the crazy thing is that last year or just beyond that people were purchasing the GT three front bumper for the same price or less than the aero kit . I have no idea why the prices shot up dramatically in that time period. Perhaps they no longer make the kit?

Quick Reply: New aerokit/GT3 front bumper installed, finally