Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO validity question (cross post from 991 forum)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 01:58 PM
alz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO validity question (cross post from 991 forum)

(cross-posted from 991 forum, as not many 991s are in the CPO period yet - forum admins pls let me know if cross-posting is not kosher)

Hi 997 friends,
I have a CPO'd 991 C2S, but bought through a non-Porsche dealer, so trying to figure out if the CPO is valid (4 year factory warranty expiring soon, deciding whether to buy a 5-7 year extended warranty).

I've searched old threads and found mentions that the CPO warranty is NOT valid if it goes through a non-Porsche dealer sale, for example this thread -
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9542...-question.html

But also threads that say the CPO is valid even if it goes through a dealer (and that Porsche doesn't track this) -
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8967...transfers.html

I called PCNA, who said the CPO is valid and follows the car not the owner, however they weren't able to give me any documentation confirming the validity, except to confirm my car was indeed under CPO. My dealer also doesn't have any CPO documentation with the car

Would anybody out there be able to confirm/deny this through the language on their CPO, or have a contact at PCNA who could confirm? Are there any examples of owners that have had CPO claims denied because it was purchased through a non-Pcar dealer, or vice versa - CPO claims that were fine even though the car was purchased through a non-Pcar dealer.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-08-2016, 02:19 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

For what its worth, I bought my 997.2 w/CPO from a dealer 4 months ago.

Dealer told me the CPO follows the car unless it ends back at a dealer (like a trade in) then the CPO is invalidated. But dealer can re cert it at expense
Old 11-08-2016, 02:20 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Your Porsche dealer should be able to confirm the existence of CPO for your VIN in the PCNA computer system and it will show the expiration date of the factory warranty and the CPO warranty. If the computer shows CPO coverage then I'd have to assume you have CPO coverage.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:23 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Not valid unless a cpo from a Porsche dealer or an individual. I called Pcna when I bought mine to confirm. Be aware that if it was a cpo and then resold again at a Porsche dealer within the cpo warranty period, the balance of the previous cpo warranty doesn't carry over unless recertified again by the current Porsche dealer.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:50 PM
alz
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Your Porsche dealer should be able to confirm the existence of CPO for your VIN in the PCNA computer system and it will show the expiration date of the factory warranty and the CPO warranty. If the computer shows CPO coverage then I'd have to assume you have CPO coverage.
Thanks! So the local dealer's computer shows that the warranty is valid, so I think I'm good to go ...

Originally Posted by WIMPWGN
Not valid unless a cpo from a Porsche dealer or an individual. I called Pcna when I bought mine to confirm.
...interesting, PCNA told me the opposite though... hence my dilemma
Old 11-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alz
I called PCNA, who said the CPO is valid and follows the car not the owner, however they weren't able to give me any documentation confirming the validity, except to confirm my car was indeed under CPO. My dealer also doesn't have any CPO documentation with the car

Would anybody out there be able to confirm/deny this through the language on their CPO, or have a contact at PCNA who could confirm? Are there any examples of owners that have had CPO claims denied because it was purchased through a non-Pcar dealer, or vice versa - CPO claims that were fine even though the car was purchased through a non-Pcar dealer.

Thanks!!!
PCNA is right, the CPO warranty follows the car and not the owner. I brought my 997 at Jake's Motor cars in San Diego. My dealer locally also confirmed it was a CPO car, had my RMS leak fixed under CPO warranty.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:25 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I think the answer should be; if you buy a car from a non porsche dealer, it cant be cpoed. if it has gone thru a non dealer, porsche cant then ever cpo the car
Old 11-08-2016, 08:27 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If it already has a CPO, it is still valid if it's being sold by a non-Porsche dealer. This is an example of it following the car.
I had this confirmed by Porsche prior to buying mine from a non-Porsche dealer. I even had my local dealer confirm when bringing it in for service for the first time.

In your case ALZ the CPO should still be valid.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:11 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

Isn't there something like a $50 transfer required to maintain it? Porsche gotta make a buck somewhere!
Old 11-08-2016, 10:11 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought a used Cayenne a few years back from a Porsche dealer. The sales department did not know it was a CPO. But when I asked the service department to print out its service history. The car showed as a CPO from a previous sale. I was to be the third owner. The service guy showed this to me and told me not to tell the sales guy as the price would go up.

I said nothing. Bought it for a great price, and it had CPO coverage.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:05 AM
alz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ynot
PCNA is right, the CPO warranty follows the car and not the owner. I brought my 997 at Jake's Motor cars in San Diego. My dealer locally also confirmed it was a CPO car, had my RMS leak fixed under CPO warranty.
That's what I wanted to hear, a solid example that it works. Thanks!!
Old 11-09-2016, 03:04 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Talk is cheap. Get your dealer to confirm it in writing.
Your research is great. On official letterhead is better.

Quick Reply: CPO validity question (cross post from 991 forum)