Sponsored by:

Car insurance woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 07:29 PM
JJ101
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car insurance woes

Hi all - I'm not sure this is the best place to post this but it affects my 997 and potentially others of you have had this issue.

My son just got his drivers license (yea!) and we now have to get him on our auto insurance policy (boo!). My wife and I have 2 "regular" cars (Audi A3 and Q7) and I have the 997 as a weekend car. The boy has no car and we are not planning on getting him one until he can get a parking spot at his school.

This leaves us with 3 drivers and 3 cars. Because of this, none of the auto insurance people will consider the 997 a "pleasure car" and force the 16 year old boy to be insured on it. As you can imagine, that's quite a bit of money that I don't want to pay. Hagerty won't touch it because 2006 is "too new" to be a pleasure car and they treat it as a regular driver with 3 licensed drivers in the house.

What have you guys done? Perhaps it would be best to just get the boy a 5K car so that we can have 3 drivers and 4 cars?

This is so frustrating... I don't want to sell the 997, but it looks like its will cost me about 6K more a year to insure it now.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ101
Perhaps it would be best to just get the boy a 5K car so that we can have 3 drivers and 4 cars?
^^^^ This
Old 11-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd buy a junker to insure the boy on. Or maybe try insuring just the 911 with a separate insurance company?
Old 11-03-2016, 07:42 PM
JJ101
Advanced

Working on the "other insurance company" concept now. Seems like that might be viable... Getting quotes and looking at different scenarios is becoming a job in itself

The junker might be more fun. Give me an excuse to get an older 944 For my son of course...
Old 11-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 283 Posts

Same boat- jr just got his license and we have three drivers as well and now 4 vechicles. I have a 2015 Jag XF my daily, 2015 Acadia Denali, wifes Daily, and a 2005 C 2 that I have listed at 3k miles usage a year. Quote before we got the 2016 RAM 1500 for him (spoiled punk) to use was about $1400, once we got the truck it is $2400. We live in north central Jersey. I got two more coming up right behind him,yea. But $6k extra for you?? - where do you live?? - that is crazy
Old 11-03-2016, 07:53 PM
JJ101
Advanced

I'm in SoCal. My present (and possibly soon to be previous) carrier insists that the "least tenured driver" be insured on the most expensive car as the "primary" driver. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm on the phone with another carrier that seems more reasonable. I really don't want to insure the boy on the Porsche at all. I will not tell my son that yours got a brand new truck though. *grin*
Old 11-03-2016, 08:09 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought my daughter a 2003 Volvo wagon. She is insured on this car, and in DC, i didn't have to insure anyone on my Pcar except me. Guess its different everywhere.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Kinda funny story. I turn 16... a "few" years ago... at the time the post office was auctioning off those jeep mail delivery trucks. Father bought one for like $400 and put me as primary. Lucky for me he liked to drive weird pieces of crap and I had the fj40 as my car. He drove the hell out of that jeep. My brother "inherited it" as he was too lazy to get a job to pay part of the way... that was the rule but still had a cool car at 16.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:39 PM
TSP
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Similar situation, but with a twist. Two daughters in college. One took after me and like to drive a bit too fast and has been pinched for speeding a couple of times. I got a notice that my (MY!) insurance was being cancelled and the reason given was that said daughter still legally resides at my house even though she hasn't lived here in three years. HER speeding tickets were enough to have me denied coverage for my 997. I called her, explained and asked her to change her legal address to her apartment. Problem solved. My agent tells me that when she's home on break or over the summer she can still drive whatever I'll let her (she gets a 10 year old subaru outback) and it won't affect my rates. Obviously this doesn't work for a 16 year old unless he wants his own apartment, but struck me as a bit nuts anyway.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJ101
I'm in SoCal. My present (and possibly soon to be previous) carrier insists that the "least tenured driver" be insured on the most expensive car as the "primary" driver. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm on the phone with another carrier that seems more reasonable. I really don't want to insure the boy on the Porsche at all. I will not tell my son that yours got a brand new truck though. *grin*
Technically it is not new- 12k miles pre owned and is my truck 7yr,100k B to B warranty and his bro will get it when he goes off to college. Its already getting banged up, but hopefully won't have to deal with roadside breakdowns, costly repairs.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:07 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did you "volunteer" the information that you have a son of driving age? There is no law requiring it. Not sure about every state but I'd be surprised if there were any, but you have a thing on your policy that you specifically pay for called "uninsured motorist" That's for anyone who may drive your car, neighbor, friend, anyone outside your family, etc. Now they might give you a hassle is jr. gets in a bender, but that's what insurance is for. A buddy of mine works for an insurance company and said there is no law requiring you to insure someone, nor report they are driving your car. I know this will meet with a lot of criticism but...
Old 11-03-2016, 09:16 PM
JJ101
Advanced

A good question 911Finally. I'm under the impression that it is not legal to drive on public roads unless you are insured. Honestly I never considered not having him insured to be an option. I'm in CA and perhaps CA laws are different?

AllState will let me put just myself and the 997 on a separate policy. This is a different carrier than the primary policy with the other cars. This only costs me an additional 1200 a year which is way better than before. So... I guess I'm "happy" to only be paying 1,200 a year more.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

E46 3 series is your answer
Old 11-03-2016, 09:26 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

We all have faced the very same issue when our child becomes of driving age.

I went the old car route. My secretary was trading her then 12 year old 1989 big Merc Cougar for $400 for a new VW Passat. I offered her $500 for a car that needed another $500 of minor things. Son had that car assigned to him with only liability insurance. No theft, no comprehensive, no towing. Save several thousand dollars a year in overall premiums. Sold it when he went off to college (600 miles away) for $2,500!
Old 11-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Finally
Why did you "volunteer" the information that you have a son of driving age? There is no law requiring it. Not sure about every state but I'd be surprised if there were any, but you have a thing on your policy that you specifically pay for called "uninsured motorist" That's for anyone who may drive your car, neighbor, friend, anyone outside your family, etc. Now they might give you a hassle is jr. gets in a bender, but that's what insurance is for. A buddy of mine works for an insurance company and said there is no law requiring you to insure someone, nor report they are driving your car. I know this will meet with a lot of criticism but...
That doesn't smell right. Too much on the line in terms of a family member 17 yr old driver and trying to skirt insurance requirements. For you Nj guys which seem to be chiming in, NJ MFG is the way to go if you can.

Quick Reply: Car insurance woes