Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Price Inflation

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 10:18 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Average Mustang price in 1965 was $2,427. Adjusting for inflation, that equates to about $18,500. The cheapest 2016 Mustang has an MSRP of over $24k with the average MSRP over $30k. I'd say that's not far off of the trend line that the 911 has taken over that same amount of time.

But, I think your core argument is sound--Porsche (VW Group, actually) makes a ton of money on every Porsche they sell. The Net Profit on a Porsche is astronomical when compared to a Mustang or a Camry. Audi makes more money for VW than any other brand but on a per-car basis, Porsche is the clear leader. Bloomberg estimates Porsche nets over $23k per Porsche (average over the entire model lineup).
Old 10-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Porsche nets over $23k per Porsche (average over the entire model lineup).
This is the article that states that, "based" on the annual report VW released in March of 2014.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...at-new-porsche
Old 10-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Since they depreciate so quickly it's a non issue for me. Except for the fact of having to come to grips with the fact that I will likely never purchase one new and have the chance to spec the exact color combinations I want. Searching long enough worked ok so far for finding the right spec. I'm willing to lose the opportunity to spec it from the factory in order to save $60k+
Old 10-27-2016, 01:23 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
The flips side to that coin is the Porsche deflation is just as bad as the inflation (sans GT cars), so it's a mathematical zero if you can wait a year or two and buy a low mileage pseudo new P car. I picked up my 997.2 (which is basically new at 12k miles) for roughly half of the original sticker.
Yes, that will work if you can still find people wealthy enough to buy new Porsche cars.

I know I can only afford used ones and would not even think about dumping so much money in a new one (even if I had the money).

Yves
Old 10-27-2016, 01:26 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova997
This is the article that states that, "based" on the annual report VW released in March of 2014.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...at-new-porsche
If you read Panorama, you know that Porsche makes the highest profit of all the car industry: 17% per car. All the car manufacturers are drooling about this performance.

Toyota for instance, gets barely to 1% per car. BMW is in the single digit profit margin. VW is also low single digit margin.

Yves
Old 10-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

The biggest factor in the increase in the 911 pricing was the introduction of the Boxster/Cayman.

This allowed Porsche to move the 911 pricing up as they had a lower price 'mid range' offering that they could sell at the price points where the 911 used to sit.

This strategy was also incentivized by the fact that the Boxster/Cayman were more modern cars designed for manufacturing and Porsche made a higher profit on each one due to the lower labour content.

So you had a double whammy effect - 911's went up in price and Porsche were happy if they sold less because that meant that they sold more profitable units in their place.

Then they started selling SUV's and the world ended!!
Old 10-28-2016, 08:49 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
If you read Panorama, you know that Porsche makes the highest profit of all the car industry: 17% per car. All the car manufacturers are drooling about this performance.
That is a tidy profit - good for Porsche. What stinks is they have no problem pushing out crap motors like the M96 at the same time.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40
The biggest factor in the increase in the 911 pricing was the introduction of the Boxster/Cayman.

This allowed Porsche to move the 911 pricing up as they had a lower price 'mid range' offering that they could sell at the price points where the 911 used to sit.

This strategy was also incentivized by the fact that the Boxster/Cayman were more modern cars designed for manufacturing and Porsche made a higher profit on each one due to the lower labour content.

So you had a double whammy effect - 911's went up in price and Porsche were happy if they sold less because that meant that they sold more profitable units in their place.

+1

In the past, the entry level Porsches ( 914, 924, 944) were very different in performance compared with the 911. The Boxster/Caymann are serious alternatives to the 911. Porsche can now continue to push the the 911 up-market while the mid-engined models will keep the sports cars out on the street in relatively larger numbers.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:30 AM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
if you play the watch game just right, you end up either wearing watches for free or even making money. But you have to have the upfront money and have to be willing to wear a Rolex Daytona, which is completely the opposite of what I want. Give me a lesser known but equal quality automatic and i'd much rather wear that, because no body knows and assumes anything.
Vollmer - I love mine!
Old 10-28-2016, 12:13 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
That is a tidy profit - good for Porsche. What stinks is they have no problem pushing out crap motors like the M96 at the same time.
This would definitely be the one issue to take them to task over.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40

I agree with your thoughts here, but it is a dangerous strategy for Porsche. Making the Boxster / Cayman their "main" car offerings would allow other competitors to compete more effectively against these cars. The Boxster / Cayman simply does not have the cache and mystique that the 911 does (and they are simply NOT a 911).

And in hindsight Porsche may realize that they have made a mistake (too late) in that their halo car the 911 has been relegated to a niche market (which it is already) when less of their typical purchasers decide that it is beyond their reach or for the money Porsche is asking there are other competitive models that look to be a better option.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:30 PM
Double_J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Yes, that will work if you can still find people wealthy enough to buy new Porsche cars.

I know I can only afford used ones and would not even think about dumping so much money in a new one (even if I had the money).

Yves
Ironically, a lot of people buying new are exactly the people who can't afford to buy new and a lot of people who buy used could easily afford to buy new but choose not to.

I bought my first M3 brand new off the lot. First and last time I ever purchased a sport/luxury car new. Though it didn't matter too much since I didn't get rid of the car until years later, the huge depreciation hit in the first two years bugged me to no end. I felt like such a jackass for having 'thrown away' so much money.

Since then, I've exclusively purchased 2 or 3 year old models for my fun cars, preferably with CPO coverage and low-ish miles. So much better...
Old 11-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_J
Ironically, a lot of people buying new are exactly the people who can't afford to buy new and a lot of people who buy used could easily afford to buy new but choose not to.
Ah yes, the universal truth that you don't get rich by spending money. You don't have to be a miser, but there is a lot of common sense in buying used, even if you can afford new.

In my many years with my current employer (a bank), and previous jobs in sales, I found that the people who presented themselves as rich didn't have as much as their look would suggest when you saw their personal financial statements. The really, REALLY impressive PFSs came from people that you'd never think were multi-millionaires if you met them outside of a business setting.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:18 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

The really, REALLY impressive PFSs came from people that you'd never think were multi-millionaires if you met them outside of a business setting.
Driving rather pedestrian cars, at that too.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:12 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
the 911 seems to be going up almost at an exponential rate (obviously this is a little hyperbole). When I see a "price as tested" at $148k with all the boxes checked, that is a bit crazy. The Germans sure know how to get you. I remember my dad got an SL55 in 2003 and it was $125k and a CD player was an "option". I mean, really?

The 911 started off as an upper middle class persons car they could drive if they saved all their pennies and prioritized correctly. Now there is no way to do this unless you go used. In some ways I am not a fan of what driving a Porsche represents, in fact my wife absolutely hates pretentious people (ironic, since I live in south OC and she is a fit blonde hair blue eyed california girl, but she is very humble and down to earth) and it almost got my 911 vetoed. Luckily I was able to win the battle in the end on this one.
I think the Porsche 911 was always for the super elite price wise.

Last edited by Para82; 11-04-2016 at 01:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Porsche Price Inflation