Sponsored by:

The new Continental ContactExtreme Sport tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 01:43 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts
Default The new Continental ContactExtreme Sport tire

competitive with the MPSS, and available in 18 and 19 fitments, 2/2017...

the guys who helped design it...

and some technical info...
Attached Images  
Attached Files
Old 10-18-2016, 02:14 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

How about compared to the MPS4S? Seems like that's the tire to beat right now.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:27 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
How about compared to the MPS4S? Seems like that's the tire to beat right now.
I dont disagree, but the 4S is not available yet (AFIAK its not available until 3/2017)... nor has any independent driven it...

I am certain that the 4S will raise the bar, dont know how far, but driving the
ContactExtreme Sport vs the MPSS, they are competitive... and Continental
claim they will deliver fitments in the sizes we are interested in ... unlike the
MPSS in the 305/30-20 fitment (for the last 18 months)

it will be interesting to see how the 4S stacks up and if Michelin can actually
ship product to our community!

I'm a huge fan of Michelin, the MPSS and the MPSC2's in particular ... but I think Continental have a shot with this product, and now they have bought
Hoosier who knows what they will deliver next!
Old 10-18-2016, 02:27 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting- thx for posting.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:30 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 728 Posts

We had Contis on the GLA45 we picked up in Sindelfingen in August. We put 2500 miles of diverse driving on them in 15 days. This included freeways, backroads, twisties, off road, off ground, speeds to 140 mph (sustained) and everything in between.

They were pretty sweet.

But back to Porsche performance ...

I've got about 35K miles of tread left on my front MPSS tires and 10K on the rears. So I ordered up two more rears to have them in stock so I can time the final wear out to match axle to axle. That will prepare me to change all four at the same time when I must change models.

I'm roughly number 100 on the back log list. Fortunately I won't need them until February.

I suspect, for tires that haven't date code expired, we will see a market for half worn tires in the near future. I have a friend who needs half worn fronts ... now.

Back to Continental ... Michelin is the number two tire maker in the world. Continental is number one.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:33 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
We had Contis on the GLA45 we picked up in Sindelfingen in August. We put 2500 miles of diverse driving on them in 15 days. This included freeways, backroads, twisties, off road, off ground, speeds to 140 mph (sustained) and everything in between.

They were pretty sweet.

But back to Porsche performance ...

I've got about 35K miles of tread left on my front MPSS tires and 10K on the rears. So I ordered up two more rears to have them in stock so I can time the final wear out to match axle to axle. That will prepare me to change all four at the same time when I must change models.

I'm roughly number 100 on the back log list. Fortunately I won't need them until February.

I suspect, for tires that haven't date code expired, we will see a market for half worn tires in the near future. I have a friend who needs half worn fronts ... now.

Back to Continental ... Michelin is the number two tire maker in the world. Continental is number one.
The backlog for Michelin is INSANE! ... Ive been complaining to them for about 18 months about the lack of 911 fitments ... I dont care how great
their tires are, and they are great, but if you cant get them, its academic!
Old 10-18-2016, 04:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
The backlog for Michelin is INSANE! ... Ive been complaining to them for about 18 months about the lack of 911 fitments ... I dont care how great
their tires are, and they are great, but if you cant get them, its academic!
I agree that the constant backlog is annoying but I got a set of MPSS 305/30/19's from Tire Rack in less than 3 weeks last month. I can see how the 20's would be harder to score though.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

My indy noted many of his customers use Continental summer performance tires on their Porsches for years and are happy with them. They are (were?) way less expensive than Michelins.

I had a set of Conti Winter tires DWS on my car when I purchased it.... they were the cheapest tires on the market at the time and the Volvo dealer I purchased the car from must have thrown them on. I hated them... didn't work all that well in the snow but they wore out like by mid-afternoon.

FWIW

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-18-2016, 11:51 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I know this is a new tire, so not apples to apples. However I bought ExtremeContact DWS for my TTRS and they don't really compare to the PSS. Hopefully these new tires are all they are cracked up to be, more competition is better!

And the wear was fairly short. With the low performance I'd be expecting a greater wear than what they gave. Obviously if they would perform in an exemplary fashion the wear is to be expected.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:31 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Are these N2 spec? I had my car at the Porsche Dealer last week, and they said my tires were to Porsche certified. I had new DWS 06 put on a few weeks before. There were very nice about it, they said it mattered and didn't matter at the same time.

Last edited by ronvanr; 10-18-2016 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-18-2016, 10:18 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This summer I decided to try a set of the Continental Extreme Contact DW tires on my 997 because I could get 305 rears and they were nearly half the price of MPSS's. I'm pretty happy with them and I plan to keep them but they do have noticeably softer response and steering feedback than MPSS's or PS2's. They seem to take bumpy roads better though so I assume the sidewalls just aren't quite as stiff as Michelins. Makes them better for the street but maybe not so much for weekend track duty. I wonder if any of this will change with this new iteration...
Old 10-18-2016, 11:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fined
I know this is a new tire, so not apples to apples. However I bought ExtremeContact DWS for my TTRS and they don't really compare to the PSS. Hopefully these new tires are all they are cracked up to be, more competition is better!

And the wear was fairly short. With the low performance I'd be expecting a greater wear than what they gave. Obviously if they would perform in an exemplary fashion the wear is to be expected.
Ive driven the new Continental and the MPSS on track, they are now pretty close, the previous Conti isnt as good ... I drove that in comparison

Originally Posted by ronvanr
Are these N2 spec? I had my car at the Porsche Dealer last week, and they said my tires were to Porsche certified. I had new DWS 06 put on a few weeks before. There were very nice about it, they said it mattered and didn't matter at the same time.
No, only OE tires are N-spec (Pirelli, Michelin, and in some cases Dunlop) this
is an aftermarket replacement tire, so they dont work with the individual
manufacturers to homologate their tires...

Originally Posted by Hunt3R
This summer I decided to try a set of the Continental Extreme Contact DW tires on my 997 because I could get 305 rears and they were nearly half the price of MPSS's. I'm pretty happy with them and I plan to keep them but they do have noticeably softer response and steering feedback than MPSS's or PS2's. They seem to take bumpy roads better though so I assume the sidewalls just aren't quite as stiff as Michelins. Makes them better for the street but maybe not so much for weekend track duty. I wonder if any of this will change with this new iteration...
it does change, you can expect the price to be comparable to the MPSS, and
the dry performance of the CE-S DW is very close to that of the MPSS, the
wet performance is better, and the wear is about the same, if not better
Old 10-20-2016, 04:08 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

I have 19" Continental Extreme Contact DW tires on my 2009C4S and have Michelin PSS on my Porsche CaymanS. The Contis with less than 2,000 miles on them were on the car when I got it in March 2016. I am happy with them in comparison with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the street. In fact they are a bit softer than the MPSS on the street. The only time I tracked the C4S I did not get my air pressures dialed in right but did not notice any real difference in traction or grip, perhaps the MPSS were just a hair "grippier." Next time I track the car I will have the pressures set correctly to see if I can feel any difference.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:31 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Had them for my 77 930. They were highly recommended in 930 forums and I liked them
Old 07-19-2017, 10:41 AM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

The ExtremeContact DW is NOT the same as the ExtremeContact SPORT.

The DW was better in terms of hydroplaning resistance as the PSS and can put a lap or two down similar to the PSS before chunking due to all of the tread blocks. It also has very soft sidewalls and a lack of steering precision compared to the PSS.

The EC SPORT addresses all of this (especially track durability, dry grip, and steering response) and is on par, if not better than the PSS in every regard. Check out my full review here:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...act-Sport.aspx

Billy
The following users liked this post:
Tandav (08-22-2022)

Quick Reply: The new Continental ContactExtreme Sport tire