Sponsored by:

Getting ready for WINTER

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 03:26 PM
ric-ko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Getting ready for WINTER

California drivers, please skip this one.

As a former Californian, I am now on the East Coast, in the D.C. area. I have a 2007 C4s and plan on driving it periodically in the winter. My prep in general is really nothing much-- I Rejex the car before winter and that's it.

Do any of you all do anything to help prepare for winter (other than tires)??
Old 10-16-2016, 03:59 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Last drive is long to heat up engine completely. Stop by the gas station on the way home to fill up with shell100.

Then directly to garage and hoist up for filter and Oil change.

A thorough exterior wash, engine bay cleaning and detailing interior. Rubber lubricant for rubber and then Ikea leather cleaner and lotion for the interior leather. Pump up tyres a little extra. Waxing exterior and then the trickle charger and car cover and the long wait for spring.

And then plan the winter project.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:56 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^ he said he's going to drive it (as you should and good for you but that's another discussion)

Besides winter tires, I swap out the mats with weathertech, make sure I have boosters, some deicer and good brush/scraper. Nothing special

As I see you have a cab, you should consider some Topcoat. And I try not to actually touch the paint and top when there is snow on it. I will brush off the snow but not right down to the base. In the spring I usually need very little paint correction - the secret is to touch it as little as possible

Have fun - shame to park em
Old 10-16-2016, 04:59 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:11 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts
Default Wax it

Wax with a heavy pure carnauba wax that does not contain oils over Rejex. Wax actually offers some protection. I prefer Mother's, but there are a few good ones out there.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-17-2016, 04:16 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As a socal guy and former cold weather (salt chemicals on roads) guy, At the very least start her once a week in the garage, get up to operating temps, run the AC/heat wipers, windows blinkers, lights....anything that requires power. Once a month, drive her around the block a day or two after they spray the crap to de ice.

Sitting is the bane of anything that requires love. Bruce in Philly has the correct path on preserving the exterior. Ya gotta do something to coat and spray down the exterior and undercarriage. Wax, vinyl wrap, plasticote etc. They all will protect the paint. But you have to spray down the undercarriage after every drive in the winter.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:14 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
^^^ he said he's going to drive it (as you should and good for you but that's another discussion)

Besides winter tires, I swap out the mats with weathertech, make sure I have boosters, some deicer and good brush/scraper. Nothing special

As I see you have a cab, you should consider some Topcoat. And I try not to actually touch the paint and top when there is snow on it. I will brush off the snow but not right down to the base. In the spring I usually need very little paint correction - the secret is to touch it as little as possible

Have fun - shame to park em
Sorry I was so into my own winter hibernation that i didn't read properly.

But then I agree with others. Probably a good undercarriage nozzle for the washing equipment is a good choice. That is where the main corrosion will happen.

Even better go give it a full undercarriage treatment. A bit tricky on the Porsche though as you most likely do NOT want everything covered with that gunk. Interior in beans is ok but I'm thinking about the outer coating.

Trickle charger to keep battery on good level and check freeze point on coolant. Maybe some lower viscosity oil unless you are already using 0W-40 or 0W-50

Maybe stupid but window washing fluid with alcohol. I know some who drive cabs only use water. If so please remember to fill up with proper winter stuff.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:27 AM
door2416
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Racetwin beat me to wwfluid.(they actually make a deicing formula) I will add to make sure your wiper blades are in good shape. If you have never driven in snow and ice please allow yourself a learning curve.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:53 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm in DC, in the winter I take it for a 30 to 40 mile drive each weekend when the roads are clear. Will yours be in a garage? As other mentioned....tire pressure will change as it gets colder and you will have to add some air to keep the psi correct. Also if it sits too long and its cold, the tires may flat spot some and it may feel like a vibration as you drive. And lastly....summer performance tires really suck when the temps get below 45 or so....and when its in the 20's and lower.....summer tires turn into hockey pucks....they slip and ride hard. So IF you daily drive all winter....get some all season tires or winter tires...if you get caught out on summer tires and its snows.....and you are far from home....get a hotel for the night. Don;t drive in any snow on summer tires.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

#1 *** Don't lie to yourself.
Periodically drive it? Get snow tires, real dedicated snow tires.
Periodically still drive it on no seasons or on dry days with summer tires is dumb.
That is why they call them accidents and not "on purposes".

Good battery, jumper pack, cabled, snow brush, tow strap, tow hook, screw driver to take the back license plate off to get to the rear tow hook.
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2016, 10:30 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Periodically still drive it on no seasons or on dry days with summer tires is dumb.
Well IF you are careful on a cold but dry day and not wanting to do more than circulate the oil and charge the battery some, its ok. I had my 07 C4S out on winter night a few times when it was 12 degrees for a 30 mile run on flat dry roads. Granted the car was in a underground garage till I took it out. And if you get winter tires, be sure to get into the computer and select winter tire option in the magic stock control and display.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:40 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by captainbaker
As a socal guy and former cold weather (salt chemicals on roads) guy, At the very least start her once a week in the garage, get up to operating temps, run the AC/heat wipers, windows blinkers, lights....anything that requires power. Once a month, drive her around the block a day or two after they spray the crap to de ice.

Sitting is the bane of anything that requires love. Bruce in Philly has the correct path on preserving the exterior. Ya gotta do something to coat and spray down the exterior and undercarriage. Wax, vinyl wrap, plasticote etc. They all will protect the paint. But you have to spray down the undercarriage after every drive in the winter.
The vast majority of info I have read on this and enacted in practice with my 993, is to store it and leave it. Idling it in a garage or driving around the block will not get it up to operating temp or at a high enough temp to burn off the condensation in the oil - it will do more harm then good. If properly stored (and with a modern Porsche that's basically park it and put a trickle charger on it), it will be fine in the spring.

If you want to drive it then go for it (recommended) but if your goal is to store it, then park it and leave it

Originally Posted by DC911S
Well IF you are careful on a cold but dry day and not wanting to do more than circulate the oil and charge the battery some, its ok. I had my 07 C4S out on winter night a few times when it was 12 degrees for a 30 mile run on flat dry roads. Granted the car was in a underground garage till I took it out. And if you get winter tires, be sure to get into the computer and select winter tire option in the magic stock control and display.
The problem with being careful is that unexpected things happen and summer tires are a true death trap at those temps. IF they stop then they will take far more distance ie till you hit something. IF you have to turn quickly to avoid something, it wont. I am being slightly hyperbolic (just slightly ) but honestly if you hit a patch of black ice or even a little moisture at the wrong time it will not be good. My own personal view is if your going to drive it, even for lonely flat, once a week/month trips, then get proper tires.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:28 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Well bad things can happen on a warmer day too. I had the 2007 out last spring two years ago after a snow melt, it was about 50 or so and and I was on a twisty backroad road I knew very well. I was having fun, not excessive....and saw a puddle in the middle of a turn from snow melt....I thought it was only surface water......but as I hit it...ummmm it was deeper than I realized and yes for a split second I lost control of the car as the big fat tires hydroplaned and was heading right into a tree....so I gassed it, steered, and thanks to the PSM programmers in some lab in Germany it caught itself and righted itself up and I kept going. That was some good programming.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:01 PM
vern1
Drifting

Yes of course, bad things can happen at any time but if your properly prepared then you have a much better chance of a better outcome. We just want you to be safe

When people realize the limitations of their equipment, as you do, then they tend to drive accordingly. Its the moron who drives on bald all seasons in a snow storm who have no issues with it cause "they are better drivers than everyone else". Morons

Take care
Old 10-18-2016, 11:02 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

Intersting fact:

It is more dangerous to drive in the summer than winter.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/21/car...1driving.html#
https://www.insurancehotline.com/mor...n-winter-time/

Ask The Google, plenty o' stats on this.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Getting ready for WINTER