Sponsored by:

PDK Trans seams slow...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 09:11 PM
pogo993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK Trans seams slow...

I have just purchased a 2009 997.2 c2 with the PDK trans. I have heard great things about the trans but it seams slow to me.... Yes it rev matches on downshift but still Not much different then a slush box It does not have the sport/sport+ option. Is there a software upgrade or aftermarket computer flash that would put it in more of a sport mode?
Old 09-18-2016, 09:20 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 787 Posts

Contact your dealer. There is an upgrade. This will make a big difference.

Pictures, or it never happened.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:31 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the exact car but only 2010 and the shifts up and down are extremely quick and crisp.
My transmission had the upgrade done as previously mentioned.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:35 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 693 Posts

You can add sports chrono (sport, sport +) option later by the dealer?
Old 09-18-2016, 09:48 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
You can add sports chrono (sport, sport +) option later by the dealer?
You can't add the dash wart/clock, but the Sport and Sport+ modes and switch can be added - and should be!
Old 09-18-2016, 09:50 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

To the OP: The upgrades do nothing relatively to shifting time. If anything slows it down... I suggest you take it to your dealer and compare to others. Chances are it is a perception issue - quite common when switching user interfaces. Also suggest adding the post-sales SC package (minus dash timer).
Old 09-18-2016, 09:50 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
You can't add the dash wart/clock, but the Sport and Sport+ modes and switch can be added - and should be!
Quoted for truth. Sport+ will put a huge smile on your face...T
Old 09-18-2016, 10:08 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 787 Posts

Sorry, I was unclear. Upgrade is the SC option (sans wart). I would not update the software since, as was pointed out, it will soften the shift.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:46 PM
syzygy333
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having my clutch fluid changed in 2 days and from what I've read, better to NOT get any software upgrades. I don't want softer shifts, because, if I am on point, this would increase friction time on clutch discs which would essentially shorten their lifespan?

I remember a transmission rebuilder telling me he would rather have a crisper shift, this will improve longevity. less transition time = less wear.

Is this a similar issue with PDK?
Old 09-18-2016, 11:06 PM
pogo993
Track Day

anyone know the cost of adding sport and sport+??
Old 09-18-2016, 11:22 PM
Limey Chris
AutoX

Originally Posted by pogo993
anyone know the cost of adding sport and sport+??
This is it. I just ordered it last week, waiting for it to arrive. Dealer quoted 2 hours to install.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...9972electronic
Old 09-19-2016, 05:56 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 273 Posts

I was in exact same boat. 09 C2S with PDK, no factory SC. Had my dealer install it and they installed the latest PDK software and performed a recalibration as well as servicing the PDK with fresh clutch oil. The difference is NIGHT AND DAY. PDK without SC is like driving a Camry (at least in the shifting department). Not only is the shifting quicker, and shift points are much higher RPM, but it also kicks you in the back and tightens up throttle sensitivity. It completely transforms the car. It is an absolute must have option.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy333
I am having my clutch fluid changed in 2 days and from what I've read, better to NOT get any software upgrades. I don't want softer shifts, because, if I am on point, this would increase friction time on clutch discs which would essentially shorten their lifespan?

I remember a transmission rebuilder telling me he would rather have a crisper shift, this will improve longevity. less transition time = less wear.

Probably won't make much if any difference. The PDK has two huge multi-plate wet clutches that can stand thousands of miles of use. There is essentially no wear if clutch slippage is kept within reason. In fact I think Porsche keeps the 1st gear clutch pack slightly engaged so the PDK "creeps" forward like a Tip and as automatic owners are used to.

Traditional automatics have brake bands with less surface area than the multi-plate clutches.

A faster shift also puts more stress on the rest of the PDK hardware. Part of the benefit of having a computer handle the shifting is it does it without the harshness a human can bring and thus the PDK hardware can be lighter which improves shifting time but not at the expense of longevity.

Might point out then that if Porsche has a PDK upgrade that slows shifting a bit this might suggest Porsche is concerned about too fast of shifting and what this might mean to PDK longevity and obviously is not concerned about extra wear/tear on the clutch.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy333

I never had SC with old software. But, I am pretty perceptive to any kind of changes. I know others have stated that the "new" software "softens" the shifts. But I can tell you that the way my car shifts now in Sport and Sport+ is very crisp and even in Sport it kicks me in the back. If it was "harder" with the older software, I'm not sure how it could be.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:30 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,056 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
I never had SC with old software. But, I am pretty perceptive to any kind of changes. I know others have stated that the "new" software "softens" the shifts. But I can tell you that the way my car shifts now in Sport and Sport+ is very crisp and even in Sport it kicks me in the back. If it was "harder" with the older software, I'm not sure how it could be.
"Harder" is not the word that comes to my mind. Just more distinctive. Feels like a manual shift but much quicker where the new software - still quick to be sure - has a smoother, almost automatic slush box feel to it. I think I would prefer the new software in a Panamera or a Cayenne but not in the 911.

Quick Reply: PDK Trans seams slow...