Sponsored by:

PDK Trans seams slow...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
"Harder" is not the word that comes to my mind. Just more distinctive. Feels like a manual shift but much quicker where the new software - still quick to be sure - has a smoother, almost automatic slush box feel to it. I think I would prefer the new software in a Panamera or a Cayenne but not in the 911.

Is it possible a newer version is out? I just can't imagine it feeling more distinctive. It shifts just like a manual engagement. With a very crisp pop. Reminds me of my RSV4 quickshifter. Or is it possible, even though they "reprogrammed it", I still have the older software? Maybe I lucked out and still have the older software...
Old 09-20-2016, 04:12 PM
JSeven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PDK is very slow on upshifts even with SC compared to other brands. Downshists are perfect thought. The PDK on the new 991.2 is much faster on uphifts. You dont any problem on your PDK, it´s just slow from stock.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:06 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

You definitely need to get the sport functions added if you dont have it. I tend to keep my car in sport+ all the time unless the road is just unbearably bumpy.

in sport+ its a tiny bit slower than the DSG I had in my Audi TTS. I don't drive the car in normal mode as it just isn't responsive enough for my taste
Old 10-28-2019, 02:55 PM
LBarkley
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK slow to engage

I have just purchased a 2009 997.2 c2 with the PDK trans. I have the sport mode. 19k on car. from stop it seems to rev a bit before taking off. Sometimes it can rev quite high before engaging. and then jarring take off. Mostly in sport mode. Do I need a software upgrade or PDK reset or something?
Old 10-28-2019, 05:46 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Sport mode is great and shifts fast. So fun. But the first gen PDK only shifts smooth in corners, as determined by the accelerometer, and the rest of the time it shifts hard for theatrical reasons. Chris Harris explained all of this really well in 2009. Later iterations of the PDK shift smoother I’m told. A 2019 Cayman owner told me can’t even feel the shifts from his PDK.

I’m perfectly happy with my first gen PDK, overall. But I was initially disappointed by harsh “theatrical” shifts. Honestly, they’re kinda fun in Sport+ even though unnecessary
Old 10-28-2019, 06:19 PM
LBarkley
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Sport mode is great and shifts fast. So fun. But the first gen PDK only shifts smooth in corners, as determined by the accelerometer, and the rest of the time it shifts hard for theatrical reasons. Chris Harris explained all of this really well in 2009. Later iterations of the PDK shift smoother I’m told. A 2019 Cayman owner told me can’t even feel the shifts from his PDK.

I’m perfectly happy with my first gen PDK, overall. But I was initially disappointed by harsh “theatrical” shifts. Honestly, they’re kinda fun in Sport+ even though unnecessary
thanks. could there be times when it feels like it just revs before engaging at a stoplight?
Old 10-28-2019, 06:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Sport mode is great and shifts fast. So fun. But the first gen PDK only shifts smooth in corners, as determined by the accelerometer, and the rest of the time it shifts hard for theatrical reasons. Chris Harris explained all of this really well in 2009. ...
Not my 2010 S. The feeling of hard may have to do with acceleration conditions, both positive and negative acceleration (braking) and engine rev adaptation with minimum clutch feathering. In general, my 2010 non-software-upgraded PDK Sport mode is not jerky.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:40 PM
ccdoggy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LBarkley
thanks. could there be times when it feels like it just revs before engaging at a stoplight?
That does not sound right. in my '09 c2s the PDK under normal (non-sport) conditions will engage the clutch once you remove your foot from the brake and it should start moving forward (assuming flat road). You should not need to press the gas at all to start moving. Similar to any other auto-transmission.

Sometimes on exceptionally cold days when I go from reverse to drive it takes a few seconds to engage and start moving forwards and I can rev it high due to not realizing it has not engaged yet. This is a known thing with PDKs that when cold they do not engage quickly, though after that first engagement it returns to normal operation. This is noted to get better a bit with transmission fluid replacement, though I noticed no difference when I did mine. The main point is that it only happens when first using the car in the morning when going from reverse to drive, not when stopping at a light as it should be engaging the moment you take your foot off the brake.

How high do you end up revving it to begin moving forward? Any way to get a video of the behavior?

I like the idea of disconnecting the battery for a bit so that the PDK forgets about the previous driver's behaviors and re-learns to your driving style.
The following users liked this post:
ADias (10-28-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 12:36 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by ADias
Not my 2010 S. The feeling of hard may have to do with acceleration conditions, both positive and negative acceleration (braking) and engine rev adaptation with minimum clutch feathering. In general, my 2010 non-software-upgraded PDK Sport mode is not jerky.
You don’t feel a kick in your back when shifting in sport mode?
Old 10-29-2019, 12:39 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Not really. Perhaps a bit in Sport Plus on sudden acceleration/shifting. But sudden throttle application does not equate to smooth driving.

And I ought to distinguish a firm shift from a jerky shift. Sport mode may produce a jerky downshift to 1st when stopping if one brakes like a limo driver. A firmer braking profile does not produce a jerky downshift.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,056 Likes on 741 Posts

In sport mode, not really. In sport plus, yes, something like that but probably a subjective matter of what one considers "a kick in the back". Other variables would be the rate of acceleration and the version of the PDK. They seem to have made it smoother with the later versions.

The PDK in my -09 C4S is so far the easy winner in terms of kick in your back. Only in sport plus mode though and only under hard acceleration. That was the first version of the PDK and some called it everything from unrefined to brutal in sport plus manual mode (forget sport plus in auto mode) when driven hard. So again, that's my favorite PDK so far but I'm obviously in the minority since they've kept making the shifts smoother even in sport plus in later versions. Can't speak for the 991 since I never had a chance to drive one hard but what I've felt so far are much smoother even in sport plus than the first generation.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:35 AM
snaphappy
Pro

I'll admit, when I'm taking someone for their first ride, and we do a launch in Sport or Sport+, those kicks in the back always impress my passenger, haha!!
Old 10-29-2019, 01:18 PM
LBarkley
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ccdoggy
That does not sound right. in my '09 c2s the PDK under normal (non-sport) conditions will engage the clutch once you remove your foot from the brake and it should start moving forward (assuming flat road). You should not need to press the gas at all to start moving. Similar to any other auto-transmission.

Sometimes on exceptionally cold days when I go from reverse to drive it takes a few seconds to engage and start moving forwards and I can rev it high due to not realizing it has not engaged yet. This is a known thing with PDKs that when cold they do not engage quickly, though after that first engagement it returns to normal operation. This is noted to get better a bit with transmission fluid replacement, though I noticed no difference when I did mine. The main point is that it only happens when first using the car in the morning when going from reverse to drive, not when stopping at a light as it should be engaging the moment you take your foot off the brake.

How high do you end up revving it to begin moving forward? Any way to get a video of the behavior?

I like the idea of disconnecting the battery for a bit so that the PDK forgets about the previous driver's behaviors and re-learns to your driving style.
hey, thanks for this post, I believe this is what is happening. it was cold and it was taking a few seconds to engage, while waiting I gunned it and it rev'd high without going. I was not paying attention and the light had changed. Scared me that it wasn't going to move. It does seem if I let it engage from the stoplight I'm fine, i.e. take foot off the brake, feel the engage, push gas. It just seemed weird that it rev'd prior to engaging, then I stopped the rev, it engaged and all took off. but it did scare me that it was not going to move on the original rev. I think I will do the disconnect of the battery and see if that helps. and yes, mine does it from reverse to drive. and then I hit a stoplight quick and it did it prior to engaging going forward. in any case, it's close to normal and makes me feel more comfortable that there isn't something really wrong. I will take it in if the battery thing doesn't fix it. it's under warranty, but the dealership is an hour away, so try to avoid that unless needed. thanks again.

Quick Reply: PDK Trans seams slow...