Advice on badging/de-badging

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 09:44 PM
99711mike82
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on badging/de-badging

Alright comrades,

Need some advice... Just got my car de-badged (removed the Carrera emblem off the back) in an effort to put on a silver "911" badge instead. When I had the old badge removed and surface cleaned/polished to eliminate the residual ghosting from the Carrera imprint... I couldn't help but notice how sleek and clean the car looked with no badge at all. With the basalt black metallic paint, blacked out LED's, and limo tinted windows... It just looked "right"... I was very surprised, so I decided not to put on the 911 badge just yet to give this new look some time to sink in and then decide if it's still something I want to move forward with...

Anyone have this revelation too?? I always thought the 911 badge on the back looked the best, but now with a badge delete, I cant help but think it looks amazing....

What do you think?? Should I stick with no badge, or will the silver 911 look better???

Thanks all!

-Mike in So Cal
Old 09-06-2016, 10:00 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think most here will say to replace with the silver OEM badge. I too have a basalt black 997.1 and rather than debadging, I simply plastidipped my turbo emblem black. Just another option.

In the end, if you really favor the clean look, leave it de-badged! It's your car after all...
Old 09-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

that was the 1st thing I did remove the script from the back of my car.

I know what it is and I like it that way better
Old 09-06-2016, 10:06 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I tend to like less badging so I would give it a few months to see if it grows on you.

Porsche themselves are very minimalistic when it comes to badging, on my 87 930 there is only the front hood badge and a small turbo badge on the rear deck lid and nowhere else it said this was a Porsche until you popped the rear lid and lifted it and right in the center under the rear spoiler was the word Porsche countersunk into the tail with no way knowing it was there unless you opened the rear lid or you leaned way over to look under the whale tail with it closed
Old 09-06-2016, 10:13 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I think the new 911's have too much badging back there. I like the Carrera S scripting though. Then again, I like fender shields, so what do I know.
T
Old 09-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I did the same thing. Once I lived with it naked for a few days I couldn't imagine putting the a badge back on.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:19 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

do what makes u happy

fwiw imho new porsches have too much lettering/badging

but i don't like totally debadged either
Old 09-06-2016, 10:38 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

I removed the badge on my Boxster S (broke it during a wash) and never replaced it. Never cared and liked the cleaner look.

On my C2S, I plastidipped the S RED and like it..... if I break a letter, I will just remove it and will probably keep it off.

I honestly could care less if anyone can't tell it is an S or a beetle or whatever.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-06-2016, 11:12 PM
99711mike82
Advanced

This is exactly the kind of feedback I needed. You guys are great. Although I dont know any of you personally, Ive seen alot of you very active on these forums and cant help but feel a great sense of support from all you guys. Its an amazing feeling. This being my first P-car and me being younger than the mean age of the P car owners on here, I respect all of your opinions and cherish all of your wisdom, knowing none of you will ever steer me or any other fellow Rennlister in the wrong direction... So again, THANK YOU guys... You are all amazing!!!

Now... I completely agree with you guys about the newer models being wayyyyy too "badgy"... It really cheapens the look for these beasts if you ask me. I just feel that subtlety is key on these cars...specifically the 911. Just owning these cars make a bold statement, whether we like it or not. Like most of you Im sure, Ive noticed that along with a lot of good attention the 911 gets from the general public, it also gets a lot of bad attention. Example- ever since I got my 911, my boss treats me differently now, and not for the better.... But hey... I guess we need to take the good with the bad.

With regard to the emblems... This car is such an icon, I feel like it doesn't need to reflect its model (911, Carrera, etc)...because anybody who's anybody knows exactly what this car is. And it's that kind of subtlety that is truly priceless IMO....

Your thought???!!!! ;-)
Old 09-06-2016, 11:20 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 782 Posts

I think that modern 911s have too many badges. I don't mind the 997 series cars that just say "Carrera S", for example, but I don't like the 991 series cars that say "Porsche 911 Carrera S". It's too much. "Porsche 911 Carrera GTS 4" is way over the top.

I think you should really consider going badge-free. I occasionally think about removing the "turbo" script from the back of my car.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:24 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 99711mike82
Your thought???!!!! ;-)
My thoughts? I think you just called us old farts!

In all seriousness, there is a camaraderie among 911 enthusiasts, here on RL, at PCA events, etc. That elan, for me, has been one if the most enjoyable aspects of 911 ownership...T
Old 09-06-2016, 11:32 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Oh Mike, Mike, Mike. Sigh you have so much to learn. You start by calling most of us old and then the critical mistake. You think the old f'ers here have wisdom. And won't lie to you. Grasshopper you have much to learn. When it comes to style no one here knows nothing. Do what you want. Screw the rest.
When you have mechanical problem and don't want to screw it up, take advice, but with grain of salt. Try not to be stupid like some of us. Wisdom does not equal not being stupid.
Not being stupid=not wasting money on fixing symptom instead of cause. On that many people here can assist you. People here wasted lots of money to try and overcome stupidity. Me included.
But if you like debadged go for it. I do like the minimalist look with just S on rear. However, I do like the shields on side of front fenders. A true deviant of way things look.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:55 PM
99711mike82
Advanced

^^^LOL!

Guys I am definitely NOT calling any of you old! Im simply emphasizing how much I value wisdom and real life experience which is bred from anyone who is older than me.... Whether 5 years older than me or 50 years older than me... I simply respect the knowledge and experience that anyone older than me can provide. I actually value it. Which is more than I can say for my 99% of my fellow "millenial" generation.... Ugh.... Dont get me started on all that.... HA!!!

:-)
Old 09-07-2016, 12:00 AM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Lol. Tongue in cheek is a trait of age. But it's also a trait of us that are still immature!
Old 09-07-2016, 12:07 AM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a 98 Carrera S that came with designation delete option. I loved the look of the factory emblem on the back, to me it was classic, but because it didn't come from the factory with emblems, I never added them. On my GT4 I removed everything, and reinstalled the GT4 emblem only, I think it looks cleaner. What ever you decide will look great.

Quick Reply: Advice on badging/de-badging